Posts by Utopia

I read the latest Hifiman HE-560 review over at Headfonia and found the following to be very interesting:  I've read somewhere that with certain tubes the Crack output impedance can get as low as 70 ohm. And the HE-560 is 50 +/- 8 ohm. Not a terribly large difference. Perhaps it's something to try?
I've just tried Bottlehead Crack (Speedball, 5998) -> Audio GD SA-31 -> HE-500, and it sounds excellent, with a little bit of a bass increase, added warmth, and generally just very pleasant. .   It's not a very efficient use of equipment, though, and not the chain I'm looking for. I hope to sell the SA-31 and replace it with something without input selection, volume control and all of that, just plain amplification - a headphone power amp - but there doesn't seem to be...
Has anyone here tried to use the Crack as a preamp? I know the possibility has been mentioned here, as well as over at Bottlehead. Perhaps it'd be great with low impedance headphones, like Hifimans, with a small power amp in between?
It's been a few years now since we got the HD800 and T1, and it seems to me that all new headphones being released are planars or low impedance dynamics, like the Fostexs or K812.    Do you guys think we'll see new high impedance headphones anytime soon? It would be great to see something like an improved HD650 or new flagships, to go with OTL tube amps and the like.
I think head-fier Mad Lust Envy has had both.
 Yes, I did. It didn't have any effect on the SA-31, which is good since I'm using the remote with my Concero DAC. 
Reading this thread I realized there isn't a whole lot of information about how the amp actually sounds, especially compared to other amps.   My own very, very brief impressions:   Compared to the M-Stage, I found the SA-31 faster, brighter (neutral?), with a larger soundstage and much more powerful, yet controlled, bass. I preferred the M-Stage with Denons, but have preferred the SA-31 with everything else (particularly HE-500, T1).   Compared to the Bottlehead...
If you are currently using the M-Stage with the Q701 it could be that neither amp section would be an improvement. Which is a good thing, because then you could spend your money on a dedicated DAC, perhaps one from the Audio GD with balanced outputs (for future use).
 It doesn't seem to be possible with an ordinary Logitech remote or similar. There's an old thread about Audio GD remotes here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/594569/audio-gd-ir-remote-programming-nfb10se
Great rig, nserra! That's probably one of the most cost-effective, close-to-summit-fi rigs one can get.