Posts by threegr

Thanks for the explanation. I will probably get Polaris, since the difference between Ember isn't that big and SS seems more convenient for the office environment. If I like it, later I'll get myself an Ember to use at home, just for fun...
I was afraid I was going to get answer similar to yours If only I could buy / hear both amps... I can see that you used to have Ember, but you have settled with Polaris. What was the most significant difference between them that made you keep the Polaris?
I don't find Alpha Dogs dry, at least to my ears and with my gear. The best I've heard it was with WA6-SE, very engaging sound, I was able to 'feel' every emotion present in the recording (Audio-gd Reference 5.32 used as DAC). AD also sounds really good out of my Audio-gd NFB-6, very clean and detailed, but significantly less 'alive' than WA6-SE. That's why I cannot decide between Polaris and Ember
 I am using Alpha Dogs, this is for my work setup. While I also like Vali and it's sound, I feel that AD is a bit underamped when used it this combination. So that's why I'm looking for a more powerful amp. Since I don't have much desk space in my current office, it has to be something with a small footprint. So it will probably be Polaris or Ember in the end. I am torn between ease of use and reliability of SS and tube magic that Ember could give.
 I can see you also have Vali, can you compare Polaris with Vali? I'm thinking about upgrading from Vali to Polaris or Ember...
HRT microStreamer for sale   DAC + headphone amp, like new, MINT condition   I am the first owner, bought in Croatia (www.adm.hr), December 2013   Original box + USB cable   Price: 180 $ + shipping   Option: Wireworld Chroma USB 0.5m (20$) / Blue Jeans Cable 3.5 mm - 2xRCA 0.6m (25$)
I am enjoying EDM much more since I've bought Vali to use with my Mad Dogs. Honestly, I didn't know MD was capable of such bass levels, until I paired it with Vali. But then again, this is not basshead kind of bass, and I don't think MD could ever be transformed into basshead headphone. HRT microStreamer is used as an input to Vali. This is my work setup, nothing fancy :)
What about USB A - B mini adapter? Did anyone try this instead of a cable?   Something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-A-to-Mini-B-5-Pin-Data-Cable-Adapter-Male-M-MP3-DC-/280494538522?
Any chance of trying microStreamer > Vali > Mad Dog? Currently I have microStreamer and Mad Dog, but I'm thinking about throwing in Vali in the mix if it could benefit the MD... 
DHC Double Strand interconnect for sale   Audio-gd ACSS connectors, 1m length, like new, MINT condition   I am the first owner, bought directly from Double Helix Cables, February 2012   DHC cotton bag included   Price: 190 $ + shipping