Posts by earthtodan

Awesome, that definitely helps! So in short, the volume adjustment is digitally encoded in the 44.1khz signal, and is effectively acting as a remote control for the DAC, a.k.a. preamp. So it's very neatly integrated from a UI perspective to act like an analog volume control, however that means it doesn't make intuitive sense for an inquisitive geek like myself, so I need it explained.   In conclusion, all forms of amplification happen in the Audio-gd gear, so it...
Sugarshark, I think you get the source of my confusion. With data there is no component of high or low voltage, there is just information. And since I'm transferring via a USB port, I know the sound card isn't in the chain. Yet somehow the computer is transmitting volume. So it either has to be information based (maybe on a separate wire?) or there is actually a voltage signal somewhere. I know very little about computers but I'm trying to make sense of this, and make sure...
Well, silly me. I went to the Audeze booth and asked the CEO about the new closed-back headphone, and he said it wouldn't be available until November. Little did I know the prototype was right there in the head-fi room. 
I'm definitely in for next year!
Weird. I thought transferring audio to a DAC was like transferring an Excel file, and that the whole point of the DAC was to remove any kind of amplification duty from the PC sound card.    For now I'm running Grado headphones that get loud with very little amplification, so I have the PC volume at 20%. The computer is a Dell Precision M4500 with the stock sound card. There is no volume control on the DAC, only on the amp. The amp volume is loud/reasonable at 50%. If...
Hi,  I just got my first external DAC (Audio-gd DAC-19) and it sounds great, but I'm kind of confused. If the DAC is just transferring information from the computer's hard drive, why is there a volume setting on the computer? The computer recognizes the DAC and gives me a volume scale for that device, but in theory, digital info is just that - 0db without any attenuation. When I adjust the output volume on the computer, what is happening? And, where is the "right"...
My favorite table of the day:  
This was my first audio meet and I had a great time, and definitely coming back next year! Thanks to Bill P for letting me borrow the use of his Vaio laptop as a source for my Audio-gd gear. Hopefully people made good use of it while I was out and about for most of the day.    I'm new-ish to headphones outside of Grado, so I didn't know what everything was, but I came away with a few impressions.   - Fostex TH900: Great clarity for a closed headphone, nice...
I'm now +1, She won't actually be there for the headphone event, being 8 hours and all, but I'm buying 2 tickets, so hopefully they can both count toward the total.   I've got something in the morning so I might show up a little late. Can y'all save a spot for my gear? Also, I still don't have a computer, so if I can be within USB mooching distance of someone else's computer that would be swell.    Stoked to hear some gear! Did I read that Audeze now has a...
Count me in! I'd love to demo some sweet gear, particularly closed cans. Do I just buy a ticket, and then my name winds up on the list for Saturday?   Gear I can bring: - Audio-gd C2 amp with upgraded op-amps - Audio-gd NFB-3 DAC - Grado SR125i   As for a digital source, I don't have my own computer, only a work computer, which I can't really bring. How would I demo the DAC for people who don't have a digital output on their mobile device?   I can leave...