Posts by ValentinHogea

Right now-now-now I'm driving them unbalanced from my Zana. But that is a far from optimal pairing. Within a couple of days I'll be driving it from a fresh CLAS-dB + ALO Rx3-B balanced. Loved that combo with the Paradox, so looking forward to recieving my new stack (the old stack got stolen, long story). In about 2-3 months I'll be driving them balanced from a supersymmetry Dynahi (a.k.a. Dynamite)   Cheers, V
Because he only attained the sound he was after with the HE-5 driver. The other ones didn't respond well to the methods that exist for modyfying the sound.   This is as elaborate I can get, since I'm no expert in orthodynamic diapraghms. But there are a few experts on this forum and others that probably can give a good lecture on driver tension, sensitivity, over-ringing, under-damping etc. etc. etc.   Hey even Audez'e can explain, what happened with the veiled LCD-3's...
No imperial cable this and that. I don't believe in cables. And I've made all sorts of different types.   What you pay for is   1) A NOS HE-5 (not easy to find) 2) He's secret damping scheme, that took over a year (yeah... trust me... I paid for these in december 2012, and he had already worked on his own pair for several years) 3) The custom wood cups (to avoid cracking etc) 4) MiniXLR's (because the HiFiMAN-connectors are useless) 5) Quality assurance. No difference...
  NOS = New Old Stock     That's a purely aesthetic mod (excl. the mini-XLR sockets, that fall inte to the "practical" department).   The Code-X offers, let's go through it once again...   1) New wooden cups 2) New wooden blocks on the gimbal 3) New soft leather angled ear pads 4) New soft leather headband 5) Custom damping/equalization of the drivers/enclosure to fundamentally change the sound of the drivers   + some extra stuff as mentioned before in earlier...
He has a limited number of NOS ones. Also scavaging in the F/S might work. But it's the expertise and hours of labour that cost. Not the phones.   Although, if he charged what it took.. We'd be in the Abyss headphones-domain...
I'm looking for a 4th generation iPod Touch. 32 or 64 GB doesn't matter too much. 64 preferred. But hey, I can't afford to be that picky. Preferably no big scuffs on the front screen. The back doesn't matter (it'll be taped to a CLAS).   So send me a PM with some pics, where you are from and what you're asking.   If you find something you like in my cable thread, feel free to make a semi-trade.   All the best, V
Because it's one of the few diaphragms in commercial headphones that can be modified to give a fantastic result.   One other being the Fostex T50RP.   If it would have been possible with HE500, HE-6, LCD-2 etc you can be sure that they would have done it.   (Trust me I asked... several times)
Only HE-5 works for sound modding. The rest of them HE-4/400 HE-5LE/500 HE-6 Only aesthetic/comfort-mods...
As most of you guys can see... Not much is left stock. New wooden ear cups New wodden gimbal blocks New cushy black leather head New ear pads seem to me stuffed HiFiMAN-pleather, however. tihey don't look like HiFiMAN-pleathers... so for now, unsure what excatly they are dual 4-pin XLR connectors á la Audez'e 6 ft nylon sleeved quad-braid terminated in 4-pin XLR (M) 4 pin-XLR (F) to 1/8" TRS 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TRS 1 Beige headphone/cable bag 1 Black (leather) hardcase...
  I can't honestly say yet. Don't have a good amp to drive them fully with yet. My Zana Deux SE is a god-sent amp for the Anax 2.0-HD800. However it is far from optimal driving the 87 dB/mW (probably lower due to additional damping etc) and 25 Ohms impedance.   However the impressive results I have attained with such a far from perfect amp... Makes me want to finish my solid state-current-pumping amp ASAP.