Posts by NimbleTurtle

How noisy will the office be? Anyways, meanwhile i think you should look into the thread I was talking about:http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/shootout-102-portable-headphones-reviewed-panasonic-rp-htf600-added-04-29-12   Don't worry too much about the mids and highs. Just worry about the bass and you're guaranteed to be satisfied with those genres. I'm definitely thinking you should get a circumaural headphone now, instead of a supraaural one, since you're using this in a...
I agree Grados and Sennheisers are like near opposites, and therefore, everyone should audition them at least once, to see if it suits their favorite music. 
If you're wearing these at home, you shouldn't even give a damn about the looks. No offense intended. Hide them from your family if they look ugly because otherwise, you're not going to see yourself wear these yourself unless you have a mirror in front of you.    Sennheisers in general have a very different kind of signature from other brands. Smooth and laidback. I think for your genres, you need a bit more speed. HD650s have a lot of bass - little too much - and I don't...
If he is fine with being fired from his job, I highly recommend it.  Lol I agree. I don't even plan to "upgrade" the HD 598s that I own. Most higher up headphones that I've heard - and even the ones I haven't heard - all come with disadvantages despite some superior technicalities. Might as well invest in something that serves a purpose, like a closed headphone for noise isolation or a set of speakers... 
I agree. I simply added Mike's comment as something of an interest. To be honest, the whole idea of an incredibly expensive amp requirement to drive "higher tier" headphones such as the HD650 and the HifiMan planar magnetics is easily just as doubtful. How do we know the differences we are hearing between amps are simply a matter of expectation bias? I think people underestimate the degree to which a human brain can affect perception.    Just the other day, I turned my...
Surprisingly, Mike from Headfonia commented that the 598 scaled better with an amp better than a 600. But he commented no one is going to bother to pair up a 598 with a 2000 dollar amp anyways. 
Exactly. Noobs are always looking for "balanced sound" or something like "great bass but decent midrange and treble". They just don't understand how things work. I guess it's natural for people to just assume that at a certain price point, a headphone should have little no flaws.    Interestingly enough, I've once read a head'fier comment: 1. In the beginning, you look for bass.  2. Gradually you start to look for treble (more detail/ revealing)  3. By the end of your...
Since you're looking for something that's not too big, go with the M80s. I think they're not as good noise isolation wise as the M50s but for your needs, I'd say get it. 
The HD-598 not only has superior mids and trebles, but a better soundstage, imaging, tonality, etc. (if you care about that stuff at all). However, they are both on the neutral/lean side of bass, which will make dubstep not that enjoyable.    Grados have the proper speed for some rock/ metal music making it more engaging. The 598s are far more versatile overall however. Sennheisers often do sound boring in certain genres as opposed to other headphones due to their more...
The 598s are fantastic with classical music. Its treble is non-fatiguing which is fantastic for my Bach Organ Trio Sonatas and modern music with a lot of cymbals. The midrange is amazing for the cello. For orchestra/ chamber music, imaging is excellent with good depth and width from the soundstage. However, I think they could use some more mid-bass (100-200 khtz) for piano music. A good idea is to EQ that region by about 3 db. Not more than that though because the bass...