Posts by NimbleTurtle

That is the single biggest improvement they could've made when they made the Q701s... 
The AKGs do look very sexy to me despite a lot of my friends not liking their looks. I personally don't think the 598 look all that bad either, a little too gaudy for some but I rarely see them because they're on my head 24/7. 
I've never heard the planar magnetics but judging by the review.. I think you could expect more bass impact and extension. Soundstage wise, I think it's very possible that the HD600 might have a bigger soundstage but barely. The Hifiman cans should have more treble extension and quantity, and therefore have a more revealing and more fatiguing sound.    But honestly, iono. Haha. I think it'll be more of a side-grade. 
That's a great suggestion. The SR60s are very cheap and can introduce people to the joy of modding :) 
I know a lot of people will tell you amps make a huge difference but most of the time I think it's a bit exaggerated. It should be fine.    I've never had the chance to compare the two directly. But if I did, the first thing I would notice would be the soundstage. The M50s should sound a bit more congested in comparison, and a lot less "airier". M50s should have more bass but I found its bass to greatly leak into the midrange. The beyerdynamics are much more well...
Oh I found another one     David Banderbilt: I have recently tried both and I personally enjoy the HD 598s ALOT more than the HD 650's. The HD 598's actually have a larger soundstage than the HD 650's - the soundstage of the HD 598's is incredible! It really brings my favorite music to life, and it sounds incredible in my opinion. In terms of sound signature - I didn't enjoy the veiled and dark sound of the HD 650's, but that's just my opinion.I listen to a...
Instrumental separation on the Q701 is good. The problem lies with the placement of these instruments. IMO, it's one thing to suggest that an amp needs enough voltage/ current to drive the diaphragm efficiently. But it's another thing to suggest that without a certain synergy/ amp, a headphone will not sound great. If it comes down to that scenario, you're just better off getting another headphone.    To defend the Q701 somewhat, with female vocals it didn't sound too...
This is exactly kind of the response I got when I compared the two. The Q701 is not a bad can at all but compared to the 598s, it has some major flaws. Very wide soundstage but it's not even an accurate one: very 2D with poor imaging and depth to it. The 598s manage to have a deep soundstage without going overboard. I have other impressions as well but I'll stop here.    Perhaps you should've dumped your girlfriend :) I do find the headphones to be bit tackier than I...
What's the price difference between the two? That'll determine whether it's worth getting the 600 ohm one. And the iBasso d-zero... hmm I don't know if it quite has the voltage to power the diaphragms efficiently. It measures pretty well for a portable amp though and should be plenty for the 250 ohm ones. 
I'm still waiting for the ODA + ODAC to come out... and yeah after I tried the 598s with a tube amp, it felt a little too laidback, which isn't something the 598 needs. It needs to have a bit more speed for those metal genres.