Posts by NimbleTurtle

I've auditioned many headphones, including the DT880 and Q701. They both shared similar problems: hot treble. The Q701 felt less balanced in that regard because it had less bass to cover up the treble. "100% not the headphones' fault" ? How in the world did you reach that conclusion? Perhaps you should stop implying I'm some sort of HD598 fanboy and take a look at the numerous Q701 fanboys here, some of whom actually claim the Q701 is a perfect headphone. Want me to...
Depends on the source of the music. It's best to buy a CD and convert it lossless for best quality. Itunes sell music at 256 kbps, which is really close to lossless format. What I don't like about AC/DC is that you have to buy their albums... and I don't find all their songs to be great (I rarely do with other bands as well). Wish I could just buy one song at a time but I know they're opposed to that. Amazon sells their CDs for quite a low price. Metals in general aren't...
Meh. I've seen some people satisfied with the Q701 + ODAC. I think the whole idea of poor recordings is blown out of proportions. Sure there are plenty of poor recordings out there but not to the point where they sound awful. The ODAC by design is supposed to be dead transparent, which points the blame on the recordings or the cans used. In this case, I'd blame the cans. If I had a Q701, I'd EQ down the treble at specific regions, so you can hear the bass and midrange...
Others listed some pretty great suggestions here. I think you want something less laidback and with more bass.    I've listened to the D2000 but was a bit unimpressed. I think judging by what others have said, the HE-400 is a superior alternative.    The ultrasones are known for having great textured bass. I've never listened to one but hopefully I will one day. Another good option.    Can't really recommend any of the Beyerdynamics at all due to their treble. Overall,...
Sorry but I consider the HD598 to have the best soundstage of any cans I've heard, and I've heard many cans near the $1000 range. And judging by the reviews, I think it's a safe conclusion. But lately I've heard the Philips Uptown Citiscape which surprisingly had a good sense of soundstage. Don't take my word for it though since I haven't been able to listen to it with my own music. Try it at your local Best Buy store. Their noise isolation is ABSOLUTELY fantastic due to...
Agreed. People who aren't bothered by the treble have little experience with live performances, which is why they have little experience judging timbre and tonality, or even soundstage/imaging for that matter. The Q701, to put it lightly, doesn't do well in these aspects which is why I've considered them unnatural sounding cans. But damn you have to admire what AKG did with the sheer build quality of these phones. The build on these are much more impressive than any...
I've heard the Aviators are great cans considering the Skullcandy branding, but still I'm a bit suspicious. The 558 is a great alternative to consider to the 598, especially for the price. 
The detail is good although it doesn't have the level of clarity as many more expensive headphones, which I think is partly due to the earcup size (smaller than most). Don't get me wrong though because it still has much more clarity than lower end headphones. I think the only aspect of the 598 that could disappoint you is the bass, but you could always EQ that and pair it up with an amp to tighten it. The bass suits nearly all music that I listen to so again, it depends...
While I do agree the burn-in affects the sound somewhat, the 701 series do have very unnatural peaks in the treble region. There is no doubt this is bad for your ears, and it's the primary reason why these cans seem detailed, when in actuality, they're revealing things that should have been more obscure to the listener. Burn-in probably won't be a huge factor in how fatiguing the cans are, although your brain will most likely adapt easily to the trebles. These cans are...
I don't know about "better"... it will most likely just be a different sound. Honestly, most "up"grades are more like side grades in the audio world. Most.    I remember a HE-400 owner talking about how he stopped using the D2000 after he received the HE-400... I think the first thing you'll notice if you do decide to get the HE-400 is the absence of that annoying and unnatural peaks in the treble range of the Beyerdynamics. The D2000 also has an annoying treble as well...