Posts by brunk

Cheers! I think you know what I meant just fine and well. No need to go out of context. Just go try it yourself like others have and see what your results are.
I agree, I was going to mention if the whole "discrete thing" was based off 70-80's tech lol, but you got it covered If you look at the Amanero website, you can work with them to create custom-tailored drivers for your application, which ironically is something a typical DIY'er doesn't have access to because it requires an order that is typical for a company.
I think you're passing judgement off narrow experience. First, the Asus STX is hardly the last say in opamps vs. discrete, and varies from application. Second, you have the term "DIY Standard" misunderstood. Commercial goes through much, much more testing and R&D than DIY. There are licenses, bills, employees, equipment, advertising etc. to pay off too. It's also not about using a component that is available through "DIY channels", nearly everything is. If you want to...
It's not too slow really, and it's especially helpful if you're a beginner with soldering. One quick dab could save you from a bad joint, and you'll see that solder flow like water :)   Better for a beginner to spend some extra seconds dabbing than troubleshooting. To the contrary, I use flux more with point-to-point than a PCB, the flux in core is adequate for the boards 99% of time. You have a lot of surface area for the flux to cover with those terminals though.
Yeah, treat yourself to some 63/37 solder (smallest diameter you can get), a flux pen, a 2-3mm chisel tip and you'll be spared of these common issues when new to soldering :) EDIT: Don't be shy on the heat either. If you find yourself waiting over 5-7 seconds for the solder flow, crank it up.
Given the noise, coupled with 29dB gain, it is excessive. I have some inefficient speakers in the mid-80dB sensitivity range and you can hear a hiss clear across the room with the XPA-5, which is not their entry-level series. EDIT: I have two XPA-5's too, so it isn't an anomaly.
I've been through this before  It's not a sine wave we're listening to here. Just hook up your HE-6 to an amp with a watt meter and turn the volume up to your loudest level with some dynamic music and watch it hit 9-10w peaks.
+1 I agree all around. Took the words out of my mouth 
I did a similar test at a Hifi shop on a McIntosh that had watt meters, and was hitting 10w peaks. If one wants to listen at their loudest volume, 9-10w is required. I think that makes atleast 5 of us now who have tested the HE-6 rigorously.
I haven't had that issue when I owned the D18, but then again I just left it on 24/7.