or Connect

Posts by Jamiee

Value For Money     :)
I have owned (still do) the U10, U12, and MX-U8.   They all have good VFM, but sonically I still prefer the older Stello U3. For whatever reason the U3 just sounds more melodic, with a noticeably bigger (read: deeper & wider) sound stage presentation.   I have added internal EMI damping and upgraded fuses to each of the U10,12, & MX-U8, - which has helped somewhat...  But they all still fall a little flat sounding compared to the U3.
Pretty sure the Mutec is using this new chip . "Improved, next-generation REVIVE re-clocking and 1G-Clock technology by MUTEC"     Funny enough, I'm using the Mutec v3.30.0 drivers with my Stello U3 at the moment 
I posted this comment in the Yggdrasil Impressions Thread a few days back...   "My digital chain (so far this is the best my system has sounded): Win10 PRO Desktop PC - Jplay v6.2 - Fidelizer v7.1 - ProcessLasso v8.9 > J-CAT Battery PSU (feeds OS SSD) > J-CAT USB CARD > 2.0m Curious USB Cable > IFI iPurifier > USB Regen (amber) with Teradak DC-30W > Curious Regen Link cable > April Music Stello U3 > MIT Digital Proline AES Cable > Schiit Yggdrasil."     All of the...
 Nope, The USB definitely improves with age - like the rest of the Yggy. That said, I still prefer the AES/EBU input (with COAX - S/PDIF coming in a very close 2nd) when paired with a Stello U3 USB converter. My digital chain (so far this is the best my system has sounded):Win10 PRO Desktop PC - Jplay v6.2 - Fidelizer v7.1 - ProcessLasso v8.9 > J-CAT Battery PSU (feeds OS SSD) > J-CAT USB CARD > 2.0m Curious USB Cable > IFI iPurifier > USB Regen (amber) with Teradak DC-30W...
Guys, A person's choice to purchase DAC (a) vs. DAC (b) is their own and they definitely don't need to be whacked over the head about their decision.   Even though the poster did ask about his decision - let's be sure to keep our responses civil and constructive       Now...... Back on with the show!      
 The housing for the RCA jacks is plastic and the mounting thread can be very easily stripped if the rear-panel mounting screw is over tightened (it really doesn't take much torque to do so).It sounds like this is what has happened to you since the screw just keeps spinning - There is no nut BTW.  If there's one aspect of the Yggy's build quality that I'm not a fan of, this is probably it.  I'd prefer to see some better quality parts used - of course it would cost...
What hobby is?     
 Fuses are indeed weird that way.First they sound pretty decent out of the box, then they get really really really good! after an hour or two of use, but then they seem to fall off for quite some time before they slowly start to get better again.  It's not uncommon for a new fuse to to take 300-500hrs to fully settle.   It's a long journey but well worth it IMO. I agree the Synergistic fuse line is quite pricey, though I've never tried them in my system, so there's little...
In my experience, unless the converters are top notch quality (at least as good or better than what's in the DAC) then you may loose some overall transparency.   Only way to know for sure is to try - and make sure you can return the room correcting DSP, just in case it doesn't work out for you.   It's one of those "do the benefits outweigh the potential negatives" kind of situation.