Posts by MikeW

@ Wage    1. 7.1 virtual sound.. well if you like that kind of thing. I don't, I want bit-perfect, stereo. I don't much care for the effect in games either. If this is important to the OP maybe he should consider a sound card. (also, most games now do surround processing in software and this works on anything, as does most decent DVD/Blu-Ray playback software, Windvd, cyberlink etc)    2. Op-amps, it does not matter what op-amp you put in the STX, it's not going...
Don't waste time/money on a sound card.   A 144$ O2 and 35$ Behinger UCA202 would be alot better then the essense stx.
 Well, NwAvGuy's challenge is only "good" up to 500$ commercial so keep that in mind. I built mine for eighty-five bucks. That said, it roflstomps my EF5.
isent the eddie current like 4 grand or something? please   For that price, it better sound better, and do the ******* dishes too.
Like I said, I think the M-stage probably compares well to the O2. It's the Mini3 comment that really bugged me.    I suppose, i can admit, that with the right pair of headphones, someone might prefer the sound of a mini3. but it runs into limitations pretty quick, and is not nearly as capable as the o2. I don't think it's even half as powerful, by the numbers. (to be fair, it's also half the size, and I do still use mine for mobile use)   As far as he EF5 is...
      yeah, then there are the people who a/b vs GS-1, and Vioelectric HPA-200 and say there's no significant difference. There's an HPA-200 for sale right now in the f/s forum because the owner did not see the value in comparison. There will be an EF5 there soon, for the same reason.   For someone to even take the time to compare an 85$ amp vs a 1000$ amp, sounds pretty damn special to me. I've been around for awhile, i dident just sign up yesterday. I've heard a few...
I can see the M-stage being competitive with the O2. But not the mini3.   I've never heard an M-stage so I can't offer a comparison subjective or otherwise. I know the 02 is better then the Mini3, and better then my 500$ /w 300$ worth of accessories EF5. Which will find itself for sale pretty soon. I've also owned a Headroom Hybrid, and Headroom Micro, Jds Cmoy. It's also better then any of those.
    Obviously, they are audible. Because that's what your hearing when comparing the Mini3 to the O2.    Literally, you are hearing distortion. If you like that, then cool, it's all subjective, but do understand what your hearing.    As far as "tube distortion" vs "Solid state distortion"..    well, the 02 has completely inaudible amounts of distortion, therefore is "distortion free" be it 3rd harmonic or any other.    The tubes on the other hand, have audible distortion....
if you prefer Mini3 over O2, you must like the sound of distortion, non-flat frequency response/coloration, and poor crosstalk.. hey it's a "free" crossfeed. lol, i own both the O2 and Mini3, they are not even comparable, the O2 beats it so bad. I actually built both of them. The mini3 cost me more too.
Well, I've been building PC's for about 15 years. It's certainly possible to have a 100% rock stable o/c. As the above poster mentioned, it just takes ridiculous amounts of testing and stress. I use LinX, for 4 hours or so, it's much more stressful then Prime95, and will spot error's alot quicker. When that has passed, I use 24 hours of Prime95 BLEND. If that passes I use OCCT power supply torture test. Which is a combination of LinX and Furmark, it's absolutely brutal....