Posts by MikeW

The fact that you perceived Bimby to be "Louder" tells me that the volume was not probably 100% matched, and I'd wager if you had the equipment to properly get a perfect volume match between the two dac's and A/B them, the perceived differences would all but vanish. I'd wager the bimby would be more resilient to bad power sources, and give less problems when hooking up to a laptop, or bad power, just based on it's beefy power supply, your less likely to experience any...
Need new pads for my D2K!   Im not willing to spend what Lawton wants for his, he's to proud of them.   Im thinking one of these:   Alpha Pads (top of my budget)   BrainWavz Angled Memory Foam   or the 38$ Ebay pads that some of stated are very similiar to lawton's at 1/3 the price, obviously they are not real leather. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261349307920?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&var=560254102182&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rmvSB=true&rmvSB=true   I want...
 I've been doing this for awhile, i've experimented alot, built amps, built dac's, tried many things and im not a huge believer in DAC's beyond a certain performance point. Lot of Modi Multibits have been sold recently, they are FOTM. Alot of people bought them, and then decided they wanted a Jotunheim, they "want" their Modi to sound better, and expect it too, so of course it does. I will tell you, the Balanced 4490 in the Jotunheim, technically measures better then Modi...
Don't be ridiculous, as long as the cable is well made it's fine. a Fukking coat hanger will get the job done, and be incomparable in a blind test. I like MonoPrice, or if you want to get really fancy, Blue Jeans Cable. But anything more then that is a huge waste of money. The power cable that comes in the box is more then adequate, however if you want a thick, heavy cable, that's really hard to bend around corners, and is so stiff that it moves your gear around, there are...
Conventional wisdom always says Transducer > Amp > Dac, in that order. Not sure I agree with spending more on a dac then your amp. to each their own.
I recently acquired a balanced headphone amp, I want to re-terminate my Denon D2000 to balanced, I already recabled them a few years ago, I can't remember with exactly what, but im pretty sure it's Mogami 2534.   I can easily take apart the TRS connector and figure out what is L+ and R+ but of course then two - connections are together on the sleeve. How do I determine L- and R- without dismantling the headphones and doing a continuity check.   Does L- and R- actually...
I own Rockit 5's with O2 Dac/Amp, it's a great combo, im very pleased with how they sound, I also have a pair of Modified Denon AHD2000's that I use for headphones. Since getting the speakers my headphone listening is reduced, the phones definately sound better, obviously, but the speakers sound pretty damn good too. They are in no way comparable to Klipsch Promedia's you have now, which i've also owned in the past.   If I did it again though, i'd build my own speakers...
Had a ground loop between my O2/Odac combo and KRK Rockit 5's. Ground loop disappears when headphones are connected. The Hifidiy USB Isolator solved the problem, unfortunately the device is not transparent, and has a negative effect on the audio quality. I will not try to describe the effect, but it's definitely not good.   Out of frustration I solved the problem with Cheeter plugs on KRK Rockit 5's and returned the isolator.
I suspect many things may effect this, do you use powered hub? how good is your power supply? Is it a laptop? do you use a power conditioner? how good is the mobo's usb power filtering? on and on and on. an external power solution in some cases may make a dramatic difference, and no difference in others.
yes, you really need an amp. No it's not ok to directly drive headphones from the odac.