Posts by MikeW

The jot is quite good, but a huge soundstage it does not have. Not a bad or good thing, just saying. It's soundstage is rather collapsed, and in your face. That's not just my opinion either.
Yeah -- im not the first one to try these, others have tried them in this thread and been pleased with them. Same seller/product, he's had them for a couple years. If lawton wasent so damn greedy, i'd be up for some of his pads, they used to be more reasonable at 69$, but he can keep them for 110$. I'd rather put money towards more headphones, I want some HD650's to go with my new Schiit Jotunheim
I ordered the 38$ ebay pads, we'll see how they turn out in a couple weeks. Straight from ShangHai baby
I'd urge caution with regards to the volume mismatch. even a 0.5 DB increase in volume is easily detctable, and will very much sway your opinion. I've noticed the Internal dac has lower volume then most stand alone dac's. It must not be putting out 2.0v RMS.
I've not heard the LYR2, or the LCD2, im not really qualified to offer a serious opinion. However, Jotunheim's been compared favorably to that combo (ie better) by other's in this thread.
 More like the HD800 is a bright headphone and the JOT does nothing to amend it. Nothing you can't fix with Good EQ if your determined to use them together though ~ some headphones and amps just don't go great together, but once you reach a high level of performance, they can be EQ'ed quite effectively. This is true for the entire high end spectrum of gear. People spending so much money/time/effort to synergize  their gear, seriously need to read the headfi thread on how...
The volume difference is more likely the gain stages just outputting more or less gain in one configuration or the other. It's got nothing to do with the power supply or anything else. Maybe one outputs 2.1 volts RMS and the other is 2.0.. something like that is going on.   @ thesoundofmusic The HD 650 is said to be made for the jotunheim, and an excellent pairing, I think that's the way I'd go, maybe even Jotunheim + Internal dac, and used HD650's for ~200$ for a 700$...
The fact that you perceived Bimby to be "Louder" tells me that the volume was not probably 100% matched, and I'd wager if you had the equipment to properly get a perfect volume match between the two dac's and A/B them, the perceived differences would all but vanish. I'd wager the bimby would be more resilient to bad power sources, and give less problems when hooking up to a laptop, or bad power, just based on it's beefy power supply, your less likely to experience any...
Need new pads for my D2K!   Im not willing to spend what Lawton wants for his, he's to proud of them.   Im thinking one of these:   Alpha Pads (top of my budget)   BrainWavz Angled Memory Foam   or the 38$ Ebay pads that some of stated are very similiar to lawton's at 1/3 the price, obviously they are not real leather. http://www.ebay.com/itm/261349307920?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&var=560254102182&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rmvSB=true&rmvSB=true   I want...
 I've been doing this for awhile, i've experimented alot, built amps, built dac's, tried many things and im not a huge believer in DAC's beyond a certain performance point. Lot of Modi Multibits have been sold recently, they are FOTM. Alot of people bought them, and then decided they wanted a Jotunheim, they "want" their Modi to sound better, and expect it too, so of course it does. I will tell you, the Balanced 4490 in the Jotunheim, technically measures better then Modi...