Posts by MikeW

What's funny is 1080P Video + HD Audio is soo much more demanding then simple analog audio. if there was a difference to be had, you'd think it would show up there.
    no, you can't use more then 2.5x with a dac or 2.0v RMS source. So it would not be useful with HE6 either. The only reason the high gain is needed is for an ipod, or other weak device that only has .05v output. If you ever plan to use it mobile, with a weak source, it's good to keep the high gain around. You may find 1x or 2.5x insuffcient with an ipod.
No, the V-link is my first and only converter. I do value your opinion though, it's nice to hear from someone who owned both devices side by side.    I used to believe more in cables, then I started hanging out in the Sound Science forum, and it's hard to keep on believing in cables once you've been in there for awhile. There are to many arguments against, that make too much sense.    Especially in the analog domain, when people can't reliably blind test a rusty...
It's either the gain resistors or the POT.    The afformentioned "resistors below source connector" are the gain resistors.    the red/grey caps are coupling caps, red being Wima, and the grey or a different type, speced on the more recent BOM, but they make no difference with regard to volume.      This means both Pots can reach the same low and max volume, but do so at a different slope, aka one might get loud faster or slower then the other. So the position of the pot...
That amp is less then ideal, but still plenty to wallop the Logitech. If I was not so hard against the wall on budget, i'd recomend this little guy. but that puts us way out of range.    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-383   I actually own that one, got it B-Stock for 50$. I havent used it much though, just made sure it worked and put it in the closet. I don't need it right now, but I know i can find a use for it in the future, too...
It's pretty tough at 100$, though Logitech is crap, not to hard to beat. I might be tempted to get a T-Amp and some Goodwill speakers.    This:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882290200   Plus This:    http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=310-300   is    >    Logitech anything.    And the obligatory "can you stretch your budget 50$" recommendation. The above amp with these...
I use a KRK Rockit 5's. I had been using spdif out > Dac > RCA out of dac > Rockits, software volume control.    I recently got a pretty good Pre-Amp for the rockits, and notice that they tend to clip on the same gain setting on the back.    Should I lower this gain setting to the minimal? since my pre-amp is quite capable?    I agree the simplest solution is a Mini 1/8 inch plug to RCA adapter, available at radio shack for about 4$. Straight out the sound...
I also own the Rockit 5's, I find the mopads were a necessary upgrade and well worth the $$. They would also raise the speaker up a couple more inches. 
That's strange that Epiphany does not ground it. Are you sure? there's a couple ways to do that, JDS uses the default method, wire to front panel screw, but you can run the wire to the back panel as well. It's pretty easy to do it yourself if nothing else. But a strange ommision on their part. Though, it may not have any real effect on sound quality.
have you directly compared the Halide to the V-link? I did considerable research on these two, and my findings lead my to believe the difference is quite negligible.    Why would you need to spend "A hundred or more" on cables for the V-link, but not for a Sound card. They both require a SPDIF cable. though, the v-link also requires a USB cable. Im not a big believer in cable mojo myself. I do believe SPDIF cables can make a difference, not so convinced with analog and...