or Connect

Posts by JMS

The gain on my META42 is 10x: R1: 1k R2: 500K R3: 475 R4: 4.75K R5: 2.21K R6: 221K R7: 200 R8: jumper R9: jumper R10: 100 RL: 10K Pot: 50K stepped attenuator AD8620, 2x EL2002
I think I used 4.7k because I couldn't find 4.32k. I'm using: 4-4-4 Intersil 3x AD8610 50k Alps Blue Q1: 3x Digikey 2N5484 Q2: 3x Digikey 2N5486 Q3: 12x Digikey 2N5486 You're right, I didn't measure the current to bias the opamp. Should I? Thought I was OK with the default config.
I built my PPA about 3 months ago, using basically the standard recommended configuration/parts. I always thought it sounded a little thinner than my META42 (also built to standard configuration/parts), but figured it was due to the improved stereo separation. I hadn't done a serious subjective comparison between the META42 and the PPA, but when I tried them recently as a preamp for my C370 to power speakers, the difference became more apparent. The PPA sounded shrill, and...
I own both the PX100's and the KSC-50's, and I agree completely with dmcmusic's assessement. I don't get why HeadRoom raves about the PX100's. They're comfortable, but the KSC-50's blow them away in terms of sound. I can't even say the PX100's are good-sounding headphones, given their severe tonal imbalance.
Quote: I've burned in the cans but still find them a tad bright and harsh... The best, cheapest, most effective way to fix this problem is to buy some other headphones. Try the Sennheiser HD580/HD600.
Agreed on the KSC-50's great sound and the HP170's crappy overrated sound. While we're on the topic, I'd add that the highly touted Sennheiser PX100's are way overrated as well. With severe treble-shyness, they sound muffled and way too bassy. The KSC-50's clobber them in terms of sound quality for less than half the price.
I had one earlier but sold it on ebay for $100. I thought it sounded tinny and metallic. Headphone mod didn't do anything for me. I'd think a cheap DVD player is a good value right now, but I haven't done sonic comparisons.
For longer-term listening (30+ min), I try to set it to where the music sounds just a little too soft. Anything louder and I start to get headaches, probably due to the headphone non-crossfeed effect. If you find yourself getting woozy after a while of listening, or find yourself unable to listen to headphones for more than 30 minutes, you probably want to turn the volume down. For short-term listening I turn it to where I can hear the full beauty of my system's sound.
I just reamed for the rocker switch hole. Your bit can't be too much smaller than the hole though.
tangent: I just built a PPA, and since I already have an Elpac from my META42, I didn't get an extra one for the PPA, figuring I'd wait till you guys come up with a custom PPA power supply. But, I noticed that you remarked on a headwize thread: Quote: With a PPA, there isn't enough residual noise to tell the difference between an Elpac and batteries with RMAA. So, if I'm not worried about charging batteries, does this mean there's no performance...