Posts by JMS

morsel: I'm using HD580's. The sound is similar when I use the PPA as a preamp too. I don't have an oscilloscope around so I can't check for ringing. tangent: My CD player is Arcam Alpha 7SE (precursor to the CD72). I've used this player for years.
Yes, I followed the instructions as on Tangent's site, and have things wired properly. In S2, I had wires running to a switch. I just replaced the wires with a jumper, but no help. I have some OPA227's on order, will see if that helps.
Yes, I have in C6G: 10pF 500V silver mica, Digikey 338-1061. Just to check if it's the op-amp, I just tried using some cheap LM741CN's in place of the AD8610's, and the shrillness remained. Perhaps less so, but still there. I dunno, is this just the PPA's sound?
The gain on my META42 is 10x: R1: 1k R2: 500K R3: 475 R4: 4.75K R5: 2.21K R6: 221K R7: 200 R8: jumper R9: jumper R10: 100 RL: 10K Pot: 50K stepped attenuator AD8620, 2x EL2002
I think I used 4.7k because I couldn't find 4.32k. I'm using: 4-4-4 Intersil 3x AD8610 50k Alps Blue Q1: 3x Digikey 2N5484 Q2: 3x Digikey 2N5486 Q3: 12x Digikey 2N5486 You're right, I didn't measure the current to bias the opamp. Should I? Thought I was OK with the default config.
I built my PPA about 3 months ago, using basically the standard recommended configuration/parts. I always thought it sounded a little thinner than my META42 (also built to standard configuration/parts), but figured it was due to the improved stereo separation. I hadn't done a serious subjective comparison between the META42 and the PPA, but when I tried them recently as a preamp for my C370 to power speakers, the difference became more apparent. The PPA sounded shrill, and...
I own both the PX100's and the KSC-50's, and I agree completely with dmcmusic's assessement. I don't get why HeadRoom raves about the PX100's. They're comfortable, but the KSC-50's blow them away in terms of sound. I can't even say the PX100's are good-sounding headphones, given their severe tonal imbalance.
Quote: I've burned in the cans but still find them a tad bright and harsh... The best, cheapest, most effective way to fix this problem is to buy some other headphones. Try the Sennheiser HD580/HD600.
Agreed on the KSC-50's great sound and the HP170's crappy overrated sound. While we're on the topic, I'd add that the highly touted Sennheiser PX100's are way overrated as well. With severe treble-shyness, they sound muffled and way too bassy. The KSC-50's clobber them in terms of sound quality for less than half the price.
I had one earlier but sold it on ebay for $100. I thought it sounded tinny and metallic. Headphone mod didn't do anything for me. I'd think a cheap DVD player is a good value right now, but I haven't done sonic comparisons.