Posts by JMS

Quote: Originally Posted by immtbiker The 650's are like a vise grip on my head. The thing with the 650's headband is, it's very malleable. I spread it and it stays stays that way, so it's almost just resting on my head right now. The HD800's metal likes to return to its original shape, even after intense bending, so it's got a way harder grip on my head right now.
Dammit Sennheiser! You come up with the best sounding headphones I've ever heard, but you decide to change the fit of the headphones from what has been a staple from 580's up to the Orpheus, for no good reason that I can see. You also decide to use bulky plastic, adding 40% to the weight over the 650's. Is all that bulk around the drivers really necessary? For $1400, couldn't you have used titanium or carbon fiber to reduce the weight? Was there something wrong with the...
Are there any good storage/display solutions out there for large headphones? I have my amp/headphones on a desk at the office, and when I'm done I want to put it in a box so it won't get dusty and the wires wont be all over my desk. Currently I'm using a $3 box from walmart to store $1400 headphones. There's gotta be a better way than this! I'm looking for a storage box or display case that fits well on a desk, and: 1) encloses the headphones so no dust gets...
Anyone else find the HD800's uncomfortable to wear? They're significantly heavier than the HD650's and the headband is shorter, which gives it less room to be shaped to my big head. Also I think the metal part is less malleable, so it puts a tighter grip on my head. The sound is out of this world but I'm not sure I can put up with the fit!
I'm seriously considering getting HD800's, and my decision will be based entirely on the member reviews of this forum. However, I have a hard time sifting through literally thousands of posts spread across two ginormous threads. Can we please have a thread of only impressions and reviews from people who have experience with the headphone? I'm sure others in my shoes would very much appreciate this as well. So, can everyone please post impressions and reviews in this...
Consider the HD201's, available for $20 from jandr.com. They're small, light, closed but not too much isolation, and sound much better than $20. The sound is comparable to HD280's, which doesn't fit my head as comfortably. It sounds good enough that sometimes I forget I'm listening to the 201's and not my 650's.
The $150 Sony SCD-CE595 is dead silent. Quieter than everything else I've tried, by far. Not even transformer hum.
Quote: Originally Posted by recephasan JMS: $60 Toshiba is better than SCD-CE595? you sure? No, I'm not sure, hence I said "hard to say it beats the Toshiba" (although I'm inclined to say it). The thing is, the SD-3950/3960 transport is so noisy that I can hear it over the music on quiet passages, even sitting 8 feet away. I'm too distracted by that to do a serious evaluation, especially knowing that the noise prevents me from using it for music...
I'd second the SCD-CE595 recommendation. I've heard many cheap DVD players and CD players in the past few years, and this one is the best of them. Beats the Pioneer DV-578A, beats some cheap Sony DVD player I tried, beats the $600 Arcam Alpha 7SE from a few years ago. Hard to say it beats the Toshiba SD-3950 (which is admittedly very good), but the latter has a loud transport so I don't use it for music listening. The SCD-CE595 transport is dead silent while...
I've always found my PPA to sound shrill and metallic, but couldn't figure out why. I thought maybe I screwed something up, but it seemed to measure well, as on tangent's site. Recently I did another comparison using RMAA5.4, and I noticed one measurement, THD, in which the PPA measures worse than the other options. Could this be the culprit? I measured using RMAA5.4, default settings except with "analyze noise and distortion only on 20-20khz" checked, loopback method...