Posts by JMS

Finally got a chance to read the paper online at http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=16446  This paper is a good step towards more subjective testing for headphones, which I think is really the right way to do science in this field.   My one comment would be that I wish the testing could have taken the "virtual" route as in cited work [9]. It appears that the authors' hypothesis had already been that frequency response (spectral balance) would be the most...
Tonmeister2008, will you be making a blog post about this work? I'm eagerly waiting to read the paper but I'm not sure when AES will have it online. Your blog posts have been great at making the science accessible to more people, both in terms of availability and understandability.
To clarify, it's currently assumed that an equalization curve (IEC 60268-7 or others) should be applied to a headphone's frequency response before interpretation. Innerfidelity.com's measurements are an example. This paper suggests otherwise.
The unexpected part is made explicit in the next sentence: "...the IEC 60268-7 headphone calibration is not optimal for achieving the best sound quality."
An interesting paper from Sean Olive of Harman (AKG) is set to be published at AES2012 in a couple weeks that should be of great interest to folks in this forum:   http://www.aes.org/events/133/broadcast/?ID=3181 ------------------------ P10-1 The Relationship between Perception and Measurement of Headphone Sound Quality—Sean Olive, Harman International - Northridge, CA, USA; Todd Welti, Harman International - Northridge, CA, USA Double-blind listening tests...
I'm using the original base-level DAC1, revision H from 5 years ago. The lights in front do not change, and this happens regardless of whether I'm using optical or coaxial input. I don't have any issues when pausing tracks using my PS3's digital output. I do think it's something specific with Squeezebox players.
  I have Squeezebox Touch -> Benchmark DAC1, and I'm hearing a click/pop at my speakers/headphones about 30% of the time when I pause/unpause or manually skip to the next track. I don't know if it damages my speakers but it sure is annoying to hear.The Squeezebox people are saying it's the DAC's problem because their digital outputs are always on. This has been an issue since I got my DAC1 5 years ago.   Any way to fix this?
Quote: Originally Posted by EliasGwinn I can only guess, as I've never heard of this before. My guess is that it has something to do with the differences between the designs of the RCA and XLR input stages in the amplifier. Possibly the DC coupling or input transformer of the XLR stage is causing significant low-frequency attenuation. The XLR and RCA outputs on the DAC1 use the exact same signal source and components. All the...
dupe
Hi Elias, I have an old Benchmark DAC1 Rev H. I'm using it to drive a Bryston 4B-SST power amp, and recently I discovered that the XLR connection sounds different from the RCA connection to the power amp (after volume matching). The XLR output sounds distinctly higher, as if passed through a high-pass filter, and to me the RCA output sounds more correct. I don't think it's a cable issue because I've tried different cables of both types. I'm not sure if it's DAC1 or the...