Posts by JMS

As an owner of the AV40's, I have to say: Get the JBL's, no matter if the AV40's were 80% off and you've already stolen your grandma's money. The Amazon page for the JBL's shows an excellent set of measurements. The AV40's don't sound as good as that.
What I learned from this experience is that both measurements and listening are required for a proper equalization. The measurements were telling me where the issues are and what to try to correct, but the listening told me how much correction to apply. I wouldn't have arrived at the same settings by listening alone, nor by measuring alone.
There's been some recent discussion over in the Sound Science forum about new research on the measured and subjective response of headphones, including a revelatory paper (summarized here) on the subjective impressions of equalized frequency responses.   I've been doing a bit of measurements and experimentation with various frequency response curves myself, and wanted to share the results because they have resulted in significant improvements to my Sennheiser HD650...
This is not too surprising. An audible difference could be caused by imperfections in the upsampling program, the computer's audio pipeline (which may process different bitrates differently), the DAC (ditto), or quantization errors with resampling (unlikely at 24-bit).   Given that upsampling algorithms cannot output more real info (rather than noise) than what it started with, if somehow it caused a subjective improvement, then it would be due to certain euphonic...
Couple more questions for Tonmeister:   You mentioned that channels were measured independently for the paper because comb filtering in the upper frequencies are ignored by our ears. However, that wouldn't apply to the 1-2khz stereo crosstalk dip, which accounts for an audible difference between loudspeaker and headphone listening. I would thus think RR1_G sounds "forward" like music normally is when played back on headphones. Have you considered accounting for...
Thanks for the helpful response. This answers my questions. Looking forward to the PPT. With regards to (2), I agree that without anchors and identical conditions the scores aren't directly comparable. Still, in your loudspeaker paper "Regression Model for Predicting Loudspeaker Preference", results from 13 separate tests were included. It was noted that it was not ideal to compare across tests, but there was still enough signal to derive a highly predictive model.
My own questions are: No details were given on how the RR1_G curve was derived from the normal in-room response: Was it a steady-state measurement using GRAS 43AG? Did the Audeze's equalized response match it exactly? Why average 7 channels individually, versus playing them simultaneously, interference and all, if our own ears do hear the same artifacts? The results of this paper don't depend too much on how the curve was derived, but it'd be good to know for those...
Sean Olive, Todd Welti, and Elisabeth McMullin of Harman have recently published another intriguing paper in subjective headphone sound quality. Following their previous paper "Relationship between Perception and Measurement of Headphone Sound Quality" discussed in this thread, they have performed more subjective, blind listening tests on the subjective preference for different headphone frequency response curves. I'll summarize the main points here. Setup: Headphones...
    If we ignore the measurements because it violates one of our preconceived notions about a 1-2khz peak or whatnot, then whats the point of measuring? In fact, we are testing the very notion whether there should be a 1-2khz peak. Recent research has suggested that existing assumptions (such as IEC calibration) are not subjectively ideal.   My measurements are made with the mic at the entrance of the ear canal, so that effects due to head, torso, and pinna should already...
  I've only just started to play with equalization, so I started addressing the bigger issues first, which to me was the broad lower midrange bump. I haven't played with the 6k peak yet, but because it's high-Q (looks like 1/6 octave), it might be relatively benign. I've seen some CSD (waterfall) plots of the HD700's having lots of ringing right around that frequency, but I'm not sure it's as bad a problem as it looks. The research (ref: Toole) tells us that we are...