Posts by b0dhi

Quote: That is a description of audio data stored in a digital format, not a description of the end product produced, whereas the end product on a display is, in fact, a set of integer values for pixels Wow, just wow. Let's just agree to disagree.
Quote: Originally Posted by DSGant To the best of my knowledge, HDMI and DVI allow for the transfer of a purely digital (discrete values) video signal to a digital display, without the need to convert to an analog signal. An old fashioned TV (or as I call it, "my TV") does require an analog signal. The way in which we reproduce video lends itself to discrete values. There is a discrete value of pixels in the image, a discrete value of frames per second,...
Quote: I think the reason that there are "audiophiles" and not videophiles is twofold. For one, in this day and age, video can be purely digital, while audio output must always be analog. But more importantly, hearing is a bit more intangible of a sense than seeing. This intangibility leaves room for folks to apply magical thinking. 1: There are lots of videophiles. A 3 second Google search would reveal this. Also, you may have heard of this place...
Quote: Originally Posted by grokit [snip] Setting up the QB-9 in my main system wasn't as plug'n'play as I'd envisioned. Details mattered—maxing out the RAM on my G4 iBook made a huge difference to the sound, as did matching the sample rates on the computer and DAC." IMHO, the DAC is equally as important as the source recording and resolution, the amplification, and the speakers/headphones; also DAC technology is obviously still evolving. I...
Quote: Originally Posted by Shike I think the RAM comment is mostly based on buffer errors that can cause a system to stutter. It's obvious though he has little technological background, and as such really isn't suitable to writing about it. He's also the type to rabidly defend his stance with no evidence whatsoever. Nah, this has no effect at all on sound quality. Modern system don't need gigs of ram to play audio without buffer underruns. The...
Electri-q has both VST and native Winamp versions.
I'm tempted to just say it's nonsense, but he's allowed just barely enough room for plausibility. The entire argument is based on the idea that extremely small (tens of picoseconds) of phase error audibly effects sound. I would say that's unlikely.
That depends on exactly how much input lag you're talking about. I can tell you 50ms is enough to throw off one's aim. Most games these days hide lag though, so it isn't like Quake 2 where you'd have to manually adjust your shot to where the person was going to be in X milliseconds. Also keep in mind the brain is an amazing adaptive machine, and it will work to filter perception of lag since it hinders performance. I.e., perception of an effect doesn't always reflect the...
The "Hz" rating of a screen is largely irrelevant. You need to know the measured transition time matrix to know what the transition speed will be like, and it isn't a single number. Non-linearities like RTC error also need to be known. Measurements like these: Roundup: New Samsung Touch of Color Series (page 10) - X-bit labs. A single xHz number won't tell you enough.
24FPS is easy to DBT against 60FPS. That doesn't mean 60FPS is better. 24FPS gives a more "cinematic" effect for movies, I'm not sure why exactly. Increasing the frame rate usually makes the movie look cheap.