Posts by b0dhi

Quote: Originally Posted by MrGreen Although "indetectable" difference, I think 1 dB is the tolerance for a lot of ~$500 mark headphones. Although a change in volume of 1dB is almost indistinguishable (for the average person), a differential SPL certainly is IME, anyway The matching between left/right is usually only done at one or a handful at most of frequencies. Measurements show the matching between headphones at any price range to be quite a...
Quote: Originally Posted by nick_charles You aren't thinking of Oohashi's paper are you ? That's the one! Thank you.
Does anyone know of any research that measures the human brain's response to music comparing regular and high sampling rate recorded music? There was a paper I've since lost which used some type of brain imaging to see if the brain reacts differently to high sample rate music vs regular sample rate and had a significant results, but someone said the statistical calculation was done wrong. How did that pan out? Were there any replication attempts?
I was doing some analysis on upsampling algorithms the other day and noticed that some fourier transform software would give quite different results, even with the same windowing and >16000 point FFT. Audacity actually gave me maxima 15dB too high. For analysis, I suggest using AutoSignal, as it's built for analysis and gives exact results (and also exports data to Excel).
It has nothing to do with changing bits. It helps to read the thread before commenting.
Quote: Originally Posted by Head Injury Yeah, theoretically it can happen. But we're talking about humans, not dogs. Even if it can happen, can we hear it? I refuse to believe that anyone, golden canals be damned, can hear some of the things they claim to hear. And this doesn't necessarily apply to the FLAC/WAV debate, but if they do have ears able to pick up on the slightest bit of distortion in the electric signal moving a far-from-perfect driver in...
Quote: Originally Posted by Kawai_man [snip] Yup, mostly true. Although you don't need a toroidal ferrite necessarily, so long as you get good coupling to the conductors and choose a good mix with high impedance over a wide bandwidth. Datasheets help here. Also you're right about saturation. People should check to make sure the ferrite is rated for the current their devices draw, and then de-rate them to be sure, otherwise the ferrites may as well...
If what you guys are saying is true, one of these type devices attached to the power cable as close to the device as possible should eliminate most EM noise on your power lines. $1.76 each. If you have those AC power cables where you can split apart the 2 conductors, even better - seperate the conductors and put one of those babies on each wire. Whoa - did my wallet just bulge up?
Quote: Originally Posted by DayoftheGreek If the info is buffered, the jitter from the decode wouldn't matter at all right? Please stop saying open minded for things like 1+1=3. Yes, although due to the large current spikes from the CPU or other onboard digital logic, and very fast edge rates, power supply ripple or ground bounce could theoretically affect the sound card's power/ground rails, thereby affecting the sound card's oscillator. In the...
Quote: Originally Posted by MadMan007 Well no of course not a vacuum. But even a gentle sucking can make a bit of a crackly sound which I assume is the driver moving. Seems to be no harm done but I'd like other actual experience responses. Crackling noise while sucking is bad. The instructions regarding sucking are usually given incompletely and will result in this kind of damage unfortunately.