Posts by b0dhi

"The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly  teaches me to suspect that my own is also." - Mark Twain   See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientism.   There is no 1:1 correspondence between a wavelength of light and a perceived colour (Magenta for example). Light is not even required for the perception of colour (dreams, the perception of "black", etc). Moreover, you've missed the point the above poster was trying to make, which is that...
  I wish I could find one wearing 19th century clothing to make the analogy complete.
Those results show that the HM801 is using a sharp roll-off output filter. The slower roll-off is either due to an additional filter, possibly internal EQ, or due to NOS.   Gibbs phenomenon is roughly as bad as other DACs, as expected from the sharp roll-off. There's nothing special about the ringing in this DAC.
Some low resolution applets exist on the web to do this. There is some variability in the results, but that's the nature of what you're measuring - perceived loudness. Generally its pretty accurate though.   By the way I agree completely with this:   Here's a graph demonstrating the variance:
There is no direct measurement for this. The closest is probably intermodulation distortion. Possibly also spectral decay graphs.
Even if you don't want room simulation, you'll still need some kind of individualised HRTF processing to achieve what you want. There are no two ways about it. Moving drivers around, angling them and changing the size or material of the enclosure simply can't produce 3D sound like you hear in real life. Even the K1000 doesn't come close to that.
If you don't believe a flat, centralised driver can give a 3D SS, you should try one of the true HRTF processors like Smyth. You'll quickly change your mind.   Angling the drivers, increasing the enclosure size, etc...these make only a small difference in the big picture, where  "real life sound" is the basis of comparison.
You're talking only about resonances. Resonances arent the only effect which influences the sound in this context.   Also, dynamat only works within a relatively small bandwidth and it has a limited effectiveness. It doesnt eliminate resonances, it dampens some of them.   Open enclosures in principle are definitely superior, but remember that even open headphones are usually only open on one axis (the sides are still reflective to varying degrees - with the exception of...
That's true, but my god I hope nobody is using the K1000 to listen to music which is so compressed
udauda, those charts refer to average sound pressure level, not peak. The calculation of 99dB SPL is the maximum SPL you can expect from that amp/can combo. In properly mastered music, the peak SPL can be more than 20db higher than the average.