Posts by Mike Dias

Hi Lan647. The initial review was about a great CD featuring 2 incredibly talented emerging stars on the contemporary classic scene. And the subsequent thread is about sharing music that we like and want others to hear. We'd love to hear some of your favorite performances.   And in the meantime, did anyone ever catch this Minnesota Public Radio  article about Les Six? Take a look at it by clicking Milhaud's quote below:   "The indifference of the public is what's...
GREAT NEWS!   Fatoumata Diawara and Toumani Diabaté will join a diverse range of musical legends and emerging new artists, from Africa and the West on The Africa Express Train as it tours England, Scotland and Wales this September. The tour - supported by The Guardian - will capture the unique spirit of Africa Express, taking its innovative blend of music and mayhem to UK towns that have never seen anything like it. There will be pop-up performances with...
Great news everyone! The numbers are in. Slightly Stoopid’s new album, Top of the World, which was released on August 14th debuted #13 on Billboard charts and #1 on iTunes. The band put four years into the writing, recording and producing of Top of the World in their own San Diego warehouse studio. Looks like it's paid off. Here's some more industry news: the band is set to perform on the “Red Bull Sound Space at KROQ” today at 4:20pm PDT, followed by a Daytrotter...
Pepper is the greatest! Thanks for bringing this up. And if you happen to be a fan of either Pepper or The Expendables, you might like these profiles:   Here's an interview I did with Yesod, the drummer from Pepper: http://ultimateearspresents.com/post/6386735927/pepper-interview   Here's an interview that I did with Donovan Haney, the manager of The Expendables: http://ultimateearspresents.com/post/8691203033/donovan-haney
Yeah. There is no comparison to seeing them live. They really do put on a fantastic show. I get paid to see shows so I'm fairly well versed in it all. And I've never seen anything like what these guys got! Has anyone ele in the thread had a chance to see them?
How did Slightly Stoopid climb up to the #1 spot? By making great music over and over and over again!   Signing to a major record label is far from a guaranteed success, but when it works, man it really works! There is just so much promotional muscle behind major-label artists; not to mention the distribution footprint and the access to radio airplay. Like all industries based on economies of scale, major releases flood the media outlets and you just can’t help but...
WOW! Thank you so much for introducing me to Jacqueline du Pre. We've added the documentary to our Netflix queue. This is just beautiful.    I wanted to share another of my favorites. It is a Debussy Sonate with Maurice Gendron Violoncello & Christian Ivaldi Klavier filmed in 1967 in Paris. It is mesmerizing. The balance of the piano and the cello is a perfect dance of contrast.
Hello there - I checked with the artist and creating a hi-def version of everything is next on his list as soon as his engineer comes back from Europe. In the meantime, you'll have to buy the CD the old fashion way;)
Hello there - you should be able to buy hi-def directly from Nonesuch. Did you check there already?
  Hey there Lmswjm -   These are amazing pieces indeed. Wow. Please keep sharing. Cello is also my favorite instrument to listen to. My wife plays actually so I'm a lucky man indeed. This clip blows me away. It's a 5 sting cello. This is Ernst Reijseger performing one of his pieces from Werner Herzog's Cave Of Forgotten Dreams. The music is amazing. Other worldly really. But it is almost out of context in this video. You have to hear it while watching Werner's movie for...