Posts by Mike Dias

You nailed it my friend — "Artists aren't all that different from us "audiophiles"; Their earliest experiences shaped what they still strive towards today." This says it all. And this is why there are multiple companies in the space and why each company has multiple products. Or another way to say it goes something like this. We all love ice cream. Who doesn't. But we all probably don't agree on what is the BEST flavor. Me, I love something with caramel and chocolate...
  Hi Cristello — thank you for asking this important question. I wish I had a good answer for you but in all honesty, it really varies. It just depends on what the artist is used to hearing. OK, so bear with me because I have a pretty different take on sound and on this matter. Look, hearing is a perception and it influenced by 4 factors: the source, the delivery system, the physical properties of sound and how waves interact with your unique physiology and brain...
You know, it never occurred to me either that artists were listening to things differently. It wasn't until I went to my first concert with Jerry and went side stage to the monitor desk that I "got it." It was mind blowing really. It was a completely different experience than watching a show from the audience.   Actually, the show was really weird to watch and hard to get used to. It was The Cult and the only band member on ears was the lead singer. That meant that I...
So in order to really answer this question, it is best if I explain the full picture so I'll start at the very beginning. Please forgive me if this is boring or if I repeat myself from other places online. So it all starts with a live performance. But see, what a musician is listening to at a concert is different than what you or I listen to. The audience hears the sum of all the parts — the audience hears the whole band. And that's the job of what we refer to as a Front...
  Hey there —   Actually, most artists use (or intend to use) in-ears. They are all quite aware of the benefits. Each manufacturer has long standing relationships with different engineers, artists, tour managers, and managers and it is often those relationships that determine which brand is the in-ear of choice for said artist. Artists probably don't do as many A/B tests or auditions as audiophiles do but it's a small industry so word gets around;) Reputation really...
So every month I interview a live sound engineer for the UE University. I'm always asking about how they got started, about their gear, about their tours, and sometimes I even remember to ask for some tips and tricks about using in-ears live on stage. I usually talk with monitor engineers but sometimes check in with front of house engineers and studio engineers. I'm always blown away by just how much I really don't know. I'm constantly learning new things when I talk...
The new Portugal. The Man album is outstanding!
I'm speechless. Thank you Mike!
Hi everybody — Mike here from UE. I want to share some great news. We realize that we can always be more responsive and more engaged with the community and that we can do more at the meets. And in order to better serve the community, we know that we need help from the inside. So with that, we are pleased to announce that CEE TEE will be helping us in a more official role. He'll be our  head-fi UE Ambassador. And while you can still call on any of us for help, feel free...
Hat's off everyone. This is one of the most amazing stories I've ever heard of. The power of community is huge. And tangible.   Thank you to everyone who made this possible.