Posts by Mike Dias

WOW! I'm late in seeing this piece. Thank you Joe for posting this. Fascinating.   And while I have no idea where the future of headphones is trending (honestly said as an industry insider) I do need to shine a spotlight on the innovations and contributions of Jawbone. They turned the industry upside down with the introduction of the Jambox. While everyone else was focused on making a better widget, they went outside the box and asked an even bigger question. The way...
I'm learning things that I didn't even know! Hat's off to Marv for making this happen. And for transcribing all of this so accurately.
Hi everyone — just a quick note for Ultimate Ears. Bryce Carr will be at the event and we are glad to announce a show special. We're knocking off 20% on all our CIEMS (except for the UE-4's and the UE-PRM's) We're also offering musician earplugs for on $150.   Please let us know if you want any swag like t-shirts and such and we'll have them waiting for you.   I wish I was able to be there. It looks like it will be a blast.   Many thanks,   Mike
As part of the Ultimate Ears On The Road With…. series, we spoke with Jake McLaughlin, the monitor engineer for Beach House. We asked about life on the road and about how he landed one of the best tours of the year. His advice is spot on and funny to boot! This is an older article but in light of the recent discussions in the Papadosio On Sound thread, I thought that I'd share in order to illuminate a few more details about how in-ears are used on stage. There are 2...
OK. Last post by me, I promise. I don't want to beat a dead horse but this just came in and I think it helps illustrate my above points. You all may not know Andrew Muray's name but you do know his work. He is a producer, engineer, FOH mixer and member of the Remix Artist Collective. He's been with Ra Ra Riot since 2008, GIVERS since 2011 and he just got back from a run with the Shins and Postal Service. I trust his ear completely.  Andrew was instrumental in helping Ra...
  My man — I'll never forget that story. It's right up there in my top 10. Every time I get a mailer from Sterns I think of it. How you been? What's news? And geez, now all my posts are suspect:) But it's actually more along the lines of this: Paola always finds great bands and amazing articles and tells me about them. Then I share them and take all the credit. But I always say, if I wasn't aping her stuff, then I'd have nothing to talk about at all. Seems fair to...
  You nailed it my friend — "Artists aren't all that different from us "audiophiles"; Their earliest experiences shaped what they still strive towards today." This says it all. And this is why there are multiple companies in the space and why each company has multiple products. Or another way to say it goes something like this. We all love ice cream. Who doesn't. But we all probably don't agree on what is the BEST flavor. Me, I love something with caramel and chocolate...
  Hi Cristello — thank you for asking this important question. I wish I had a good answer for you but in all honesty, it really varies. It just depends on what the artist is used to hearing. OK, so bear with me because I have a pretty different take on sound and on this matter. Look, hearing is a perception and it influenced by 4 factors: the source, the delivery system, the physical properties of sound and how waves interact with your unique physiology and brain...
You know, it never occurred to me either that artists were listening to things differently. It wasn't until I went to my first concert with Jerry and went side stage to the monitor desk that I "got it." It was mind blowing really. It was a completely different experience than watching a show from the audience.   Actually, the show was really weird to watch and hard to get used to. It was The Cult and the only band member on ears was the lead singer. That meant that I...
So in order to really answer this question, it is best if I explain the full picture so I'll start at the very beginning. Please forgive me if this is boring or if I repeat myself from other places online. So it all starts with a live performance. But see, what a musician is listening to at a concert is different than what you or I listen to. The audience hears the sum of all the parts — the audience hears the whole band. And that's the job of what we refer to as a Front...