Posts by Mike Dias

The PAR Excellence Awards is a reader-voted program, presented by the Editors and Contributors of Pro Audio Review (PAR) magazine. Nominations for the 2013 PAR Excellence Awards were developed through the brain trust of PAR Editors and Contributors. Nominations were based on the "I want to own this" principle; gear selected should have a proven field track record, performed well via PAR's "real world" review process, or—in the case of recently released products—have shown...
 Oh man. Thank you Jude for giving us behind-the-scenes access into your studio. As someone who spends far too many hours staring at headphone photos, that Lifehacker shot is one of my absolute favorites. Nice to get a glimpse into its origins. We'd love to learn more if you're into it.
The first time you hear Frazey Ford’s voice, it commands attention. Full attention. Stop whatever you’re doing and LISTEN attention. At least that’s what happened to me.   Just over a year ago, Sean Hayes released Before We Turn To Dust, his 6th official album. That whole album is brilliant—arguably one of the best releases last year—but the closing track, "Innocent Spring" left me breathless. I wasn’t ready for those harmonies, if harmony is indeed what you’d call it....
 You're in man. That was the knock into the club I was talking about in the original post. I felt the exact same way when I first got them as well and my appreciation has only grown from there. And to drive your point home, it's not just the band working as that single unit. It's the whole team. Rich is as much a part of the band as John the singer is. Same with their session musicians and engineers. I left this out of the original post but you'll dig this. When I first...
 I'm pretty sure that those Hay Bale Sessions are one-off recordings from Bonaroo. If you play around with the YouTube link, you'll find other Hale Bay Sessions from other artists that you may enjoy. This was my first run in with these recordings as well and I found the production value amazingly high for a live set on YouTube. Please let us know if you find any other Sessions that should be on our collective lists.
One of the most fascinating aspects of music is that a single song can mean the world to one person and yet the exact same song can mean nothing to someone else. I believe that's one of the primary tenets of making art. I'm bummed that this is getting mixed reviews but when I write these features, it's my goal to share something new and something that moves you. If you don't feel it one month, hopefully the next piece will touch you. But I'm not a mind reader and so if...
So damn proud of you! It's not just anyone who appears on the homepage over there. Hat's off sir!
So we all know finding a lost CIEM is not like finding a lost pair of Grado's. You can't just pop them into your ears and enjoy. (That would be gross and wrong.) So what do you do?   Well, if the lost set happens to be Ultimate Ears, hop online and enter the ID # and get a reward. Not only do you reunite the lost set with the exasperated owner (Oh why did I leave them on the plane.... What was I thinking....) but you get something more than just good karma for your...
  Yeah. I'm going there. I'm putting Portugal. The Man in the same artistic category as Ziggy Stardust. And if that sounds too bold or if you don't believe me, put on your favorite headphones and listen to this live set from Bonnaroo 2013. Then tell me I'm wrong.         You got goosebumps listening to that last song. Didn't you? This band is the real deal. In so many ways.   All four tracks heard on the Hay Bale Sessions were from the latest album...
Well said Med.   Jerry Harvey.   It does feel good.