Posts by Mike Dias

While this may appear to be a review of a recording released 13 years ago, I promise that the story is much bigger than that. And like Steve Schwartz of Classical Net said, "Given the importance of Debussy's piano music, as well as its popularity, I would consider this release one of the ten most important in the history of recording... You get an equivalent of having Bach play the 'Goldbergs' for you."   The first thing that you need to know about Claude Debussy: The...
 Oh man — do I have news for you all... But I can't share it yet. Her manager asked that I make no announcements about the new album she's working on.... ;) So glad to see this thread get some new attention these last couple of days. A voice like that deserves it!
  Mark Johnson from Light & Sound just featured the UE-7's in a three page spread, and the piece was also teased on the magazine's cover. His review captures his experience from start to finish, including his fitting appointment, unboxing, audio testing, and UE’s superb customer service. He concludes that the UE 7 Pros are a very solid product, “made even better by the service that UE provides."   This postscript says it all:     Now I know that the 7 isn't the...
Portugal. The Man was asked to write the soundtrack for Red Bull's "Mission to the Edge of Space" documentary about Felix Baumgartner's space jump. The documentary debuts today on Rdio.   Here's a shot interview about penning the song: http://www.redbull.com/en/music/stories/1331615128861/portugal-the-man-oh-boy-red-bull-stratos   And here's the Rdio link to watch: http://www.rdio.com/redbullstratos   Oh Boy, the song, sounds epic from what I've heard so far. (But...
So glad you are feeling this. Here's one of her unreleased tracks. You can just see that soul pouring out.     And here's a live version of Firecracker filmed during the 2010 Americana Music Festival in Nashville, TN.  
Hey all — great news to share with all the members on this thread.   The Editors of Pro Audio Review have nominated the UE 900 for the 2013 PAR Excellence Award. Nominations for the 2013 PAR Excellence Awards were developed through the brain trust of PAR Editors and Contributors. Nominations were based on the "I want to own this" principle; gear selected should have a proven field track record, performed well via PAR's "real world" review process, or—in the case of...
The PAR Excellence Awards is a reader-voted program, presented by the Editors and Contributors of Pro Audio Review (PAR) magazine. Nominations for the 2013 PAR Excellence Awards were developed through the brain trust of PAR Editors and Contributors. Nominations were based on the "I want to own this" principle; gear selected should have a proven field track record, performed well via PAR's "real world" review process, or—in the case of recently released products—have shown...
 Oh man. Thank you Jude for giving us behind-the-scenes access into your studio. As someone who spends far too many hours staring at headphone photos, that Lifehacker shot is one of my absolute favorites. Nice to get a glimpse into its origins. We'd love to learn more if you're into it.
The first time you hear Frazey Ford’s voice, it commands attention. Full attention. Stop whatever you’re doing and LISTEN attention. At least that’s what happened to me.   Just over a year ago, Sean Hayes released Before We Turn To Dust, his 6th official album. That whole album is brilliant—arguably one of the best releases last year—but the closing track, "Innocent Spring" left me breathless. I wasn’t ready for those harmonies, if harmony is indeed what you’d call it....
 You're in man. That was the knock into the club I was talking about in the original post. I felt the exact same way when I first got them as well and my appreciation has only grown from there. And to drive your point home, it's not just the band working as that single unit. It's the whole team. Rich is as much a part of the band as John the singer is. Same with their session musicians and engineers. I left this out of the original post but you'll dig this. When I first...