Posts by Rav

Sorry not replied for a while. Had some issues with the lacqer so i had to sand back down to bare wood and start again with the shellac. Weather has gotten pretty cold again so i havn't been doing too much lately, although i probably have enough coats to be presentable, but not quite as finished looking as the pics before. Might put a few more coats on before i reassemble them. Also need to strip the paint from the grilles and respray them.In my case a little...
3x 1920*1080 ... so 5760*1080. I play most games with bezel correction at 6038*1080, although you only see 5760, the extra pixels are hidden behind the monitors' bezels so that diagonal lines look right.
Just changed to:
Thanks all, pretty happy with them so far, although i'm doing some remedial work on one of them, the other i've put some satin lacqer on which has taken the glass like shine right off, i'll see about taking some photos later.   Yes outdoors, in evening daylight.  In an ideal world I think it's best on a bright overcast day, so there's no direct sunlight to cast hard shadows.  An SLR is ideal, but not essential (SLRs or other larger format - ie, bigger than a point and...
Well the gods of procrastination have finally smiled and i've started to finish (...erm) these at last.  I've had the shellac mixed up (it comes in dry flakes that disolve in spirits) for ages, but never got around to taking the cans apart to paint it on.   Anyway, so far these have had five or six coats, sanded down between most coats (some i gave two applications between sandings).  I reckon i'll need another coat or two, and at least one more sanding as i have a...
It needed to be enlarged afterwards on the lathe.  i could probably have used a 44 but didn't want to chance it being too big and the driver falling all the way in.
2 inch think should be more than enough to make a set of cups, the ones i make are about 40mm (sorry to mix imperial and metric) end to end and about 62mm across.  If you start with a chunk of wood fairly close to the finished size (within reason, there will always be wastage) then you have less work getting rid of the excess.
It's been a while since i listened to the purple set, but my first impression when i put the drivers in the browns was that they (the brown) were brighter (like the difference between flats and bowls brighter, but without doing an a/b i can't back that up).  I think i prefer the sound of the purple from memory, and i do plan on making another set, and also putting the drivers back in while i do the finish on the bown so i can have another listen with fresh ears.  Trouble...
My personal preference at the moment is to take an old pair of bowls and cut the back off, then stick those onto a pair of flats.  That way you get the soundstage of bowls, with the bass of flats.  I suppose you could try taping them as well if you want a couple of subwoofers strapped to your noggin.   For this mod you will need one pair of flat pads, a sacrificial pair of bowls, a really sharp knife and some double sided sticky tape. Age of the pads is not a...