Posts by pp312

What!! An old man 50-60 years old! Why you young whippersnapper! I ought to take your pants down and give you a good paddling!    And at 68 I'm just the old man to do it too.  
 This was actually discussed in an earlier thread on this subject and it was pointed out by one poster, correctly I think, that large speaker amp manufacturers have much better scale of economy than small dedicated HP amp manufacturers. In short, Marantz can make a 100W integrated just as cheaply as your average dedicated amp manufacturer can make a 5W HP amp, with just as good components.  I was not just a consumer in the 70s & 80s but an occasional contributor to a Hi-Fi...
 This is a very nice post, but there are a couple of things I just can't let pass. The first popular consumer headphone was the Sennheiser HD414 in 1968. By the 80s the headphone market was booming, with just about every major manufacturer having several models and interlopers like Stax grabbing the top end with their electrostatics. There was no 'afterthought' about headphones or headphone jacks. However, all this is moot if you simply accept that right from the beginning...
 You know, I'm not even sure that's true. The theory is that a) the tuner will take power from the power supply, but if you look inside you find the tuner is powered by its own mini power supply with separate transformer; and b) the tuner components will somehow contaminate the amplifying side, but again, if you look inside a good receiver you'll find more than enough shielding to prevent that happening. I've had as good results from receivers as integrateds.  
What he said.
Obviously you should have bought the 250 ohm DT880.   Actually I'm telling lies when I say I couldn 't pick a fault with derbigpr's remarks. I've certainly found a greater variation of performance than he seems to suggest, but he's right in saying that the sound of the amplifier with speakers is the sound you're going to get with headphones--at least 90% of the time. Obviously that means you need to choose a good sounding amp if you want good sound. There is nothing...
 Is there another way of having ears? 
  Have you tried the tone controls on the Integra? Tone controls may lack the precision of a full EQ, but they can be surprisingly effective. I use a DT880 Pro with a Denon DRA295 receiver and -2db treble with great results. You might even try +2db on the bass for a bit of fullness. Fortunately the DT880 peak is at what for many of us is the extreme treble (I'm 68).
When you consider the circuitous route the music takes from recording studio mixing desk to your ears I doubt a couple of resistors behind the HP socket is going to make any difference. In fact I often wonder why HP enthusiasts are so terrified of resistors, especially when even their dedicated amps are chock full of them. Maybe they should make a horror movie about resistors taking over people minds. (No, wait, seems like that's already happened).   Oh, and thanks,...
I'm glad you're pleased with your NAD. I should probably list my equipment to make proper economic comparisons. I'm using a Beyer DT880 Pro ($195) out of a Denon DRA295 integrated ($40 off Ebay--about 12 years old). Best source is a Yamaha CD-S700 (Ebay--$175). With a good CD this system is capable of frequent OMG moments (I listen primarily to classical). My comparison is a $40,000 speaker based system owned by a friend. I must say I'm not crestfallen when I return to my...