Posts by pp312

That last paragraph explains a lot in terms of divergent reviews, but it's a bit disappointing that a $1000+ headphone can't attain greater consistency. That sort of investment shouldn't be a lottery.
And how does the Premium manage better staging than the Pro, pray tell? They have the same driver in the same housing. Main difference is slightly tighter clamping on the Pro, which can be adjusted with a little bending of the headband. I suggest that the Premium will not give you better soundstaging than the Pro as it's the same phone.      Unless of course you actually meant the Premium 600 ohm version. Even then it's doubtful you'd get better soundstaging. Most people...
 Eek! What a horrible picture you paint, the idea that DT880 lovers may be as deluded as Beats lovers. I'm going to put it firmly out of my mind and go have a nice hot cup of coffee. Deluded indeed! My psychiatrist assures me I'm fine as long as I keep taking the medication.... 
So those you've linked to are the softskins, which have no perforations. The velours, which do, are slightly dearer. As you suggest, the lack of perforations is probably what's making the difference rather than the material. I'd love to try the softskin, but I'm not forking out another $50. Strange that so little is said about them even here. Yours is the first in-depth review I've read.  
 Blast you, Brooko. You're eating away my resistance to the T1 bit by bit, undermining in the process my certainty that I need go no higher than the 880. It's cruelty, I tell you. Cruelty to dumb animals.  @earfonia: thanks for posting that review of Tyll's. I wonder if the Ultrasone Edition 10 is really that bad or if Tyll was simply honing his thespian skills.
Lol. Would that all Head-Fi problems were as easily solved.
The back perforations can make an enormous difference. This is why I resisted getting one of those $10 Chinese replacment pads for my DT880 and paid the full price for the genuine article. The $10 ones had no perforations.
Yes, I appreciate that it's the details that make the difference, but one thing Brooko did say, which I've read before, is that without direct comparison to the T1 the 880 sounded fine in its own right, which I guess is as much as to say that if you never hear the T1 you may happily live with the 880 in ignorant bliss ever after. And probably until the T1 drops to around $400 or hell freezes over, whichever comes first, that's what I'll be doing.   I wouldn't mind...
 Yes, it's good to slum occasionally with the more fiscally restricted types and their $200 headphones. Maintains one's perspective.
 I assume you're talking used here. But even at that price, which is certainly pretty good, wouldn't you say the T1 is overpriced? I've read a number of reviews now and what comes through most clearly, as in yours, is the sense that overall the difference is not immense--which, given that we're in a forum where hyperbole usually runs rampant, especially from those who've just parked out $1000+, is rather telling.  Not saying there's not a noticeable, even...