Posts by pp312

When you consider the circuitous route the music takes from recording studio mixing desk to your ears I doubt a couple of resistors behind the HP socket is going to make any difference. In fact I often wonder why HP enthusiasts are so terrified of resistors, especially when even their dedicated amps are chock full of them. Maybe they should make a horror movie about resistors taking over people minds. (No, wait, seems like that's already happened).   Oh, and thanks,...
I'm glad you're pleased with your NAD. I should probably list my equipment to make proper economic comparisons. I'm using a Beyer DT880 Pro ($195) out of a Denon DRA295 integrated ($40 off Ebay--about 12 years old). Best source is a Yamaha CD-S700 (Ebay--$175). With a good CD this system is capable of frequent OMG moments (I listen primarily to classical). My comparison is a $40,000 speaker based system owned by a friend. I must say I'm not crestfallen when I return to my...
Sounds like you're comparing a quite expensive ($600 in Oz) dac/amp with a typical integrated. That's hardly scientific. The dac is likely to make as much difference to the sound as the amp.   One of the points I failed to make about integrateds/receivers is the convenience. Remote volume control (often in 1db increments), tone controls, multiple inputs...these things are not to be sneezed at. Tone controls are particularly useful, despite all the audiophile snobbery...
It's obvious you've made up your mind and are not about to be moved. That's fine if you've actually done your homework and are not simply parroting a typical belief because you've spent a lot of money and there's safety in numbers. As far as facts go, the info about how HP jacks are powered comes from the manufacturers themselves and is confirmed by my own observations. As for "90% of headphones are not 300-600ohm", that's certainly an arguable statement. In any case as...
I have this weird control of my amp labelled "Bass". I hardly ever use it, but it's such a comfort to know it's there.   I also have one labelled "Treble", but fortunately with the DT880 it's virtually redundant.   What'll they think of next, eh?   
  Well, you've just managed to re-state all the myths without offering a shred of evidence. In fact this subject has been thoroughly discussed in previous threads and the following has emerged: 1. Almost all HP outs on integrateds and receivers are taken from the speaker outs through resistors. This has been confirmed by emails to manufacturers by someone with a lot more patience than I. (Cambridge are in fact one of the few exceptions, except for their base model). This...
   Here are two posts virtually at odds, and I must say the second manages to encapulate all the myths about integrated amps and headphones that were ever perpetrated on Head-fi (and that's quite a lot). First, yes, the HP out will either take a line from the main amp or use an op amp circuit, but why do you suppose the latter will be cheap and nasty? The Cambridge 640 is a quality amp; any op amp circuit it uses will likely be as good or better than anything you...
Which headband are you talking about? Pro is different to Premium.
  Those HD600/650 guys, they're serious, man. You mention other phones in there at the risk of your life. I saw a DT880 guy stagger out of that thread the other day with his shirt ripped, scratches all over him and a knife sticking out his back. 'I'm never going back in there," he said, just before collapsing. I would have called an ambulance if I'd thought there was any hope for him, but he'd stayed in there too long. However, there will be an investigation.  
  I thought this was the DT150 appreciation thread.