Posts by pp312

JCosta, you'll find that most posters here either also use speakers or have had to abandon speakers due to circumstances, usually neighbours. There would be few who need to be introduced to speakers, and fewer still who would appreciate the implication that they need to be introduced to speakers due to the limitations of headphones. In short, this is a headphone forum. We don't need posters who tell us they hardly ever use headphones and when they do don't enjoy them much.
Mshenay, you confuse me. You mean that both the 990 and 880 have the least mids? How can that be? They can't both have 'the least', surely.
Yes, that's a pretty fair summary. It's true that you have to be extra careful where a driver is firing directly into your ears, but people naturally compensate for that. Of more importance perhaps is the type of music you listen to (obviously heavy metal is going to exacerbate the problem more than, say classical) and the length of each listening session, since it's important to let the ears rest. I think the real damage is done not during home listening sessions but from...
You mean you've been listening to speakers and not headphones? Disgraceful! Take this man away and have him dealt with!    
 A lot of the headphones I've bought used (and that's a lot!) have looked like new (with a few notable exceptions that we won't discuss here). You have to remember that a lot of people buy new on reputation and then re-sell after a couple of listens without even burning in. Just study the photos. If necessary, copy them into My Pictures and use the zoom function--it's amazing what it can show up. But generally I've had very good luck with used phones and saved a fortune...
The 990 isn't that much brighter but does have a lot more bass. Take that into account. The 880 is much more neutral and should be more satisfying in the long run. I say 'should be' because I've never heard the 990, though I can pretty much predict its sound from comments and graphs. I prefer a neutral phone; other prefer boosted top and/or bottom.
When considering the DT880 don't forget to look at the Pro model. It's the same headphone other than a slightly higher clamping force and coiled cord, but usually cheaper.  
The 565 was a brilliant headphone. Owned one for many years.
Welcome to Head-Fi, JCosta, if no one has welcomed you yet. Interesting observations but likely to vary due to any number of factors, including which way the wind is blowing. Even if you had the PM6003, 6004, 6005 hooked up to a comparitor, your impressions would likely change depending on the headphones, music, your state of mind, whether it was Easter or Christmas...you see my point. Good to get as many subjective impressions together as possible though, as too few...
Well, I fired up my 10 second internet connection, and Marantz do indeed make the claim of a "fully discrete headphone amp" (apologies for not consulting Mr. Google before posting). However, I don't buy it--that is, I don't believe they're referring to a separate headphone amp. Marantz has never done things this way, and there's no info anywhere on the design. I believe they're simply referring to the fact that the amp itself is fully discrete and thus the headphone out is...