Posts by pp312

I had the LCD-2 R1 and never used anything else but a Marantz integrated. Currently I'm using a Marantz SR4023 stereo receiver with a Beyer DT880 and the sound is great. Though I've heard a few decent dedicated HP amps, none has tempted me away from integrateds/receivers, and Marantz in particular are great (I've been less happy with a couple of other brands). Even their AV receivers (I also have an SR4200) have decent HP outs. Surprising? In audio received wisdom isn't...
  As rough as sandpaper, eh? Any particular grade? You know what? We've reached an impasse. I don't believe you. I went through all this years ago in various forums with Minidisc. Sorry to keep digging up this dead format but there's a direct corollation. In it's earliest incarnations it was rough; Atrac was easily detected. By Atrac 4 it was virtually undetectable. By Atrac 4.5 and finally R even seasoned reviewers were admitting they couldn't hear a difference. However,...
 I'm sure you could never be crass, Argyris.  Actually I found the author's criteria incomprehensible (which may not mean much, since I find a lot of things incomprehensible). This pass/fail thing...it all seemed very arbitrary and would probably only line up with real-life experience by a fluke. Nevertheless it did concur rather remarkably with Head-Fi received wisdom in the sense of the most admired (and best measuring) mid-price ex-flagships lining up about equal, and...
 In normal listening? Or when you're specifically listening for it? And even if in normal listening, is "hearing it just about" going to affect your listening pleasure that much?  Just as with the difference between two good quality phones (only much less), once you've been listening for a few minutes you automatically adjust to the difference. BTW, I don't hear 192 as grainy and harsh.
 Has anyone checked out this site yet: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1wi8M-HSeK0JF33P-5ypydQjQ4OshRQhvWM0IX2h0NQ8/edit?pli=1#slide=id.g25f83b2cd_3815 It's ostensibly a look at current flagships (and mixes no metaphors in condemning some of them), but it also looks at mid-price former flagships. Not to be taken as gospel as it uses a rather arcane formula for grading, but it interestingly gives equal scores to the DT880-600, HD650 and HE-400. Definitely worth a look.
 And what, may I ask, is wrong with a Nissan Sentra?   Actually I think this whole DBT thingy is beside the point. It isn't what you can or can't detect under test conditions, it's what you can or can't detect during normal listening. What else matters, after all? Even those posters here who claim the difference is night and day, is it so in normal listening? Do you suddenly sit up and think, yes, that was definitely an MP3 moment--I'll have to re-rip to FLAC immediately....
  That's not hard to believe. I prefered my DT880 Pro over the HE-500 after long A/B auditioning. That's on classical. Sold the HE-500 and the after a few months had an opportunity for cheap pair again. Did another comparison with the 880 and still prefered the latter. Some people probably think I'm crazy, but the 880 just sounded more like a live orchestra to me.
  (sniff) He called me ignorant!! Mum, he called me ignorant!! (stamps foot, bursts into tears) More seriously, what's clear from all this is that if you train yourself to hear certain things in sound and then in fact listen for them, you'll probably hear them. Most of us just listen to the music and quickly get engrossed in it. This probably happens to some degree even when we're taking a test to see if we can pick a difference. Plus we're not trained in what to listen...
 Why is it ridiculous? There are many differences in audio that cannot be heard. Indeed the whole basis of compression relies on what we don't hear even though it exists (same with Atrac and Minidisc). The human ear is not a scientific instrument; it can be fooled quite easily. And when combined with the human brain, it gets fooled more often than we care to admit, as this thread ably proves.
 That certainly pins it down. (Just joshing.  )