or Connect

Posts by pp312

Is it true the 880 is semi-open? Its sound is that of a fully open headphones, and it leaks sound as much as a fully open headphone. If the only source of info on that is Beyer themselves, I wouldn't trust them as their informational literature is notoriously sloppy. Has anyone actually disassembled an 880? Also I wouldn't agree that the 880 'doesn't have the biggest sound stage'. It's heaps big enough for me, and I've heard a hell of a lot of phones.  
 You mean I'm getting raped every night? Wow... 
 As stated in one of my posts, I owned both Lambda and Sigma (normal bias) for many years. At the time I found the Lambda a little bright, so would probably enjoy it now. However, I've moved on, and though it might sound like sacrilege to some, the 880 is what I've moved on to. I'm quite satisfied. (Incidentally, the move to SRD-7 from 6 is the greatest improvement one can make to a Lambda. I was sorry I didn't do it much sooner).
 No, not really, just greater clarity, realism, all the things we look for in phones in a higher price range. Actually I try to go to concerts often enough to retain a memory of what a symphony orchestra sounds like in a decent venue (in this case the Sydney Opera House) rather than falling back on comparisons with other (usually flawed) phones. Live music after all is, or should be, the goal if we're to pursue the 'Fi' part of Head-Fi. Re soundstage, I'm not even sure...
  Actually I'd have thought that was excess treble. I was thinking of extreme as in: 3. farthest from the center or middle; outermost; endmost: the extreme limits of a town.
  Yes, I know, because I'm getting a message that indicates the post isn't going through, and it isn't showing up for me so I had to re-write it twice. Stupid board! (spits dummy)
 I appreciate that a broader range of music will give a broader subjective perspective. However, I'm not interested in music outside the stated genre, will never listen to it and thus, for me, it's entirely irrelevant to my headphone experience. (I also happen to think that heavy orchestral music is the hardest to reproduce accurately, whether you like the music or not. Get the sound right with that and it will be right with other genres). I should have mentioned that I've...
  I thought that the sound of the 880 and 2170 were very similar in terms of overall balance and neutrality, but the Stax's subjective lack of treble made it seem rather harsh, as a lack of extreme treble can. I didn't find any greater degree of 'realism' from the Stax; rather I found the lack of treble somewhat clouded its potential in that area, as well as in the area of soundstaging. I was disappointed, as I'd been expecting so much more. However it should be said that...