Posts by pp312

So tripping on crack is a blast, eh? You should be ashamed.
  I didn't even know Jean Cocteau had a twin.  Agree with you about the 880 being awesome; it certainly performs way beyond its price range. You mention the Stax 009--have you heard the two together? I'd be interested in a comparison, though I wouldn't of course expect the DT880 to win in any category.
 Unfortunately that won't be happening for 3 reasons. 1. I'm happy with the DT880. 2. I'm through with $1000+ headphones, and it was too uncomfortable anyway. 3. You've forgotten my second motto: IF IT DON'T SOUND GOOD WITH WHAT I'VE GOT, IT DON'T SOUND GOOD. Lovely place, Rome. I'm hoping to get back there this year.
 I'd say there's a lot of parallel, and what you've said ties in with my gut feeling about the HE500 at the time, that it was capable of much better performance with better equipment. Unfortunately I had neither the money nor inclination to purchase said equipment, especially when the headphone was so heavy and generally awkward and the DT880 was so comfortable and performed so well with what I had at minimal cost. This is the thing. There are a lot of recommendations for...
 Thanks for that specific info on the mods. I did read the thread a few months ago but as it no longer pertained to me I didn't retain much. My reluctance to fiddle with expensive headphones remains. My motto, posted on the wall above my bed, is "SHOULDN'T BE NECESSARY." You're correct that bass extension and impact and overall resolution are less important factors with classical (though not unimportant) than with popular styles. Most important are soundstage, tonal...
 Not meaning to suggest that mods are necessary for everyone, merely for those who find the performance unsatisfactory out of the box, as many in the jergpad mod thread did and do.  Obvious when a huge modding thread grows up around a product (and with the HE500 it's more than just pads) it means that many are not satisfied with the stock product (for some, of course, it simply means they find the product so good they want to extract every last ounce of performance out of...
  Oh I don't know. I think that's a matter of opinion.
And who are those people? Point them out so they can be whipped.
  I've read too many reviews stating that the T1 is not a serious enough upgrade on the DT880, merely incremental. Even that the T1s treble is more annoying. Besides, I don't have a spare $1200.  
 Yes, it would seem a little mean given that you have no idea what my equipment is or what other systems I might have tried them on. I always found them hollow sounding. I described it at that time as making everything sound like it was recorded in a cave. Others have agreed, but it was pointed out that the jergpad mod fixed that problem. That's possible, but on principle I would be expecting HiFiman to be fixing such problems, not jerg. When I spend $700 on a headphone...