Posts by pp312

I think it's worth saying that there's no guarantee that you'll like a summit-fi headphone anymore than a mid-tier. Beyond a certain point comes diminishing returns, and some have climbed the summit only to find that they were happier at mid-tier (for instance, people moving up from HD650 to HD800, or from Beyer DT880 to T1, then going back again). For the majority of people mid-tier is enough. I've owned Audeze LCD-2 and HiFiman HE-500 but currently use, quite happily, a...
I liked it. Very 1960s. 
Sorry, I was referring to 880 only. I have no experience of 990. 880 is definitely the same phone other than cord and clamping pressure, whatever other forums may say.
 I'm familiar with both also, and the 600 is not neutral. It might be balanced, in terms of no part of the FR predominating, but it's not neutral. I sold both 600 and, later, 650 in favour of the 880 Pro, which I consider superior to both for classical/orchestral. I have no opinion on their suitability for other types of music.
Nah. Same driver, same housing, same damping. Conclusion: same headphone.  
  Pretty much sums it up. It isn't your ears getting used to the sound because so many people, myself included, never wear the phones during burn in. Also some phones exhibit considerable improvement, some hardly any and some not at all, which wouldn't be the case if we were all just getting used to the sound. So scratch that theory.   But really, is burn in such a way out phenomenon? Why do car engines need to wear in? Why do we all tend to stretch when we get out of bed...
  The 880 was boomy sounding? That's a first.  
Actually I can answer that straightaway, since I was able to rip the pads off a near-new 880 I bought as a backup.   I wasn't expecting a change, so was pleasantly surprised to note that the sound seemed smoother, with slightly better inner detail. Now whether there was a subliminal expectation there I don't know, but often these first impressions, before we start to quantify them, are the truest.   It's logical, I suppose. Beyer would no doubt have done a lot of...
Which means I guess that you're one notch down overall, since comfort is as important as sound.   I've just ordered a new set of earpads for my 880 at a cost of $47 all up, which is totally outrageous and ought to be investigated (and this is imported from the US; locally they're $57). I took a close look at the cheap Chinese replacements but could see they had no holes in the underside, which, given jerg's experimentations with the jergpad, would easily be enough to...
They haven't arrived yet?