Posts by spritzer

Given that the RN60D metal film resistor is just about the perfect resistor then "upgrading" them can only be detrimental.  There are exceptions such as the "batteries" in the T2DIY which need a slightly inductive resistor (and Stax told us as much) but that isn't the case here. 
 IXYS or Sanyo only applies to the third stage CCS.  It's not really a good idea to mess with the current setting on that one so what we alter is the output stage standing power. 
These claims of a massive improvement with an increase in current in no way correlate to the data at hand or my own experience.  The circuit is completely linear down to about 2mA (or even slightly less) and we chose 5.5mA as there was no way to make the amp clip and it worked at +/-500V off of onboard heatsinks.  I've gone way past 14mA in testing and the change is subtle at best so by definition there is something horribly wrong if the amp magically gets better by leaps...
 Like all Lambdas, they have their good points.  The bass on the new Lambda's is the best from any stock unit though the comfort on the 507 is the worst of the lot.  Even the Lambda Pro do some things well but in the end the flaws are just too grating to enjoy the set.  Same thing applies to the 507, that midrange shout and general bright nature means they aren't what I'd call good.  Anybody who thinks the 507 is worth their asking price should try a fully functional LNS. 
 I've never flip-flopped with the x07 range, they were awful from the day I received my first 507 with the 207 being the sole exception.  They aren't perfect (too bright/forward as all the new models are) but come closest to the ideal sound signature.  Dirt cheap too...  Don't see much reason to visit HF any more but I still stop by to reply to PM's.   Nice to see when somebody gets it.    On my todo list though is to install a new diaphragm in a set of 009's to show just...
 When I got the parts I just put them into storage without giving them a second glance.  I had enough 2SA1968's at hand for the time being so it was a few months until I dug out the stash and realized they were all fake.  Dalbani spun some BS that I should have tested them on arrival but a quick reply stating that when dealing with reputable suppliers that isn't needed.  I've never had to test any part I've gotten from Mouser to see if it was real or not. 
 I think this sums it up nicely.  To add to it though, behavior at higher volume level is the true test of any component.  With amps this tests the circuit and power supply far more than whisper levels.  Clipping would be the most extreme case but the ability to maintain the full voltage swing into any load is what all amps should strive for.  When Tyll did his comparison of electrostatic amplifiers he dropped me a line asking for how I test 'stat amps.  My first port of...
Going by what Ergo did with the official Jecklin tube amp then you can use a high power Stax amp with the right bias voltage. Something like the ESX design would be a good place to start.
Given how horrible the amps are I think most would like to know how much the headphones are on their own. No way that I'm buying this again though...
They used some Toshiba model but 1N4007 works just fine as a replacement.  UF4007 if you are feeling the need to spend more...