Posts by Mrtn77

I am, alas, woefully ignorant of electricity matters. I have no idea whether I live close to a powerline or not, and don't know how I could find this out either. Likewise, I don't know if my amp is properly grounded or not. I only know that its cord has a ground slot and that my surge protector has a ground plug that fits into it. While I do get some electronic noise and parasites when using the DAC at very high volume (not playing music), I haven't had the TT hum problem...
Thanks. I've tried looking around for the Humbuster you mentionned. No luck. Is there anything else, in production, you could recommend ? Preferably available in Europe ? Would something like this be adequate : http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=03&id=M-10xE ?
 As suggested, I spent a couple of hours with PC, monitor and DAc unpluuged (TT, phono preamp and amp were all that was left on the Belkin, nothing else). The first hour or so was very fine, blissfully hum-free. The second hour less so. Got the dreaded hum. At one point, it coincided with a call on my cell-phone, but at other points not.Those periods of hum might have been less loud and frequent than usual, but it's hard to say for sure. I wouldn't swear to it.I plugged...
 Alright, will do so tomorrow (pretty late here now). Thanks ! 
Thanks for the help. I did think that hearing the hum on two different turntables was enough to let Pro-ject "off the hook". The TT's plugged into a Belkin Surgemaster. Does that qualify as a power condiotioner / filter ? (I believe the manufacturer claims the Surgemaster offers a measure of EMI/RMI filtering, but I'm not sure it's much.) In any case, yes, TT, amp and preamp are all plugged into that Surgemaster, as are my DAC, a PC and a computer monitor. There are no...
Hello all, A while back, I wrote about a hum problem that I had trouble with. Since I'm still suffering from it, I thought I'd post back with more information and a video to illustrate my point. The video is here :    My set-up is as follows : Pro-ject Carbon Esprit, with Ortofon 2M Red Rega Fono Mini phono preamp Atoll In30 integrated amp Dali Zensor 1 speakers Nuforce Icon HDP DAC I use the Pro-ject RCA cables that came with the turntable, which is grounded to...
Q701 for 150 euros over at French retailer Materiel.net (they mostly sell computer stuff, but are very reliable)   http://www.materiel.net/casque-audiophile/akg-q701-blanc-62743.html
Don't be ridiculous.A lot of popular "sedentary" DAC/amps usually recommended here can be had for $400 or less : ODAC/O2, the cheaper Schit stuff, the Yulong, Audio-GD and Matrix series, the list goes on and on.You only need to skim this very thread to get pages of recommendations.
That'd depend on what you want and need.
Rockbox isn't hard to install if you follow the instructions, just make sure to have a firmware update at hand (from the sansa website), as you'll likely be asked for it. I'm not sure I've noticed much of a sonic improvement with Rockbox (my memory of sounds isn't very good), but there's a lot to be gained by it nonetheless : better battery use, quick database access, sophisticated EQ, crossfeed, and probably a bunch of other nifty features I'm forgetting. I've never found...