Posts by trains are bad

I need to add some vinyl. Since I got married and became a wage slave, I don't get to the thrift stores and garage sales, and those sources have really dried up anyway. I'm probably looking for records available new. I like my 30th anniversary DSOTM, so I'm hopeful there are good quality repressing out there of classic records, I just need to know what I want. My collection is basically Dire Straits, Steely Dan (my favorite band), Creedence, shoegaze, prog (Pink Floyd,...
There is nothing wrong with sigma delta DACs. In fact SACD uses a sigma delta signal directly recorded onto the disc and the sound quality is superb.
It's a Technics 1700. It has auto-turnoff, which is part of the problem, because I let the record play to the en and it safely stops itself, but then I forget to turn the preamp off. The batteries last for over a year without charging if I don't forget to turn it off. I can easily detect when to switch the preamp without modifying the turntable by either using a photo detector on the tonearm parking position, or with a photo sensor on the strobe lamp. I really can't...
I'm running 12-volt sealed lead-acid batteries. Would it work to put crossed zener diodes on the outputs? I could play a loud record and view the preamp output on a scope to determine the approximate peak voltage level, then use diodes with a breakdown voltage slightly higher than that so it doesn't affect the music, but clamps the turn-on pop or other large signals that might occur if I drop the tonearm or something. Bad idea?
The problem is, I keep leaving my Bugle on and running the battery down. I need some way to turn it off automatically when I'm done listening (most records are 45 minutes or less so a fixed 1-hour timer would be fine). I could use a timer, but I can't think of a cheap easy way to do that in my small Bugle case. I thought it would make more sense if I just had it turn on when I un-docked my turntable tonearm. It's just the pop that's a problem.
http://www.hagtech.com/bugle.html I have one of these preamps that I built in a cigar box. I turn it on with a regular DPDT toggle switch. When I turn it on, my stereo makes a big nasty POP sound, so I usually turn it on with the volume down. However, I want to make a circuit that automatically turns it on when my turntable tonearm un-docks. So I have to do something about the pop. What causes the pop? Would an RC circuit on the power rails, so the voltage slowly builds...
No, I haven't thought that far.   Right now the website works by dumping the files to a directory with 777 permissions. I created the file outside the web document tree, but put a soft link inside the document tree that I can link the user too. Trouble is, I thought I could give the softlink different permissions than the target, but it looks like I can't. I'm still kind of stumped. I know this isn't the proper way.  
I want to write a program where   -the user chooses to upload a file (I have this working)   -the CGI program slices and dices the file (this works)   -the website then presents the resulting file-chunks to the user as html links (I'm stumped on this)     The problem I have is that the webserver runs as user 'nobody'. The cgi-bin directory and programs in it are world-executable, but apparently the output from the cgi script when the webserver is...
When people talk about remastering this, I think they are really talking about 'remixing it'.   I have both the CD and the vinyl and they sound similar. The sound is very deliberate. I have a strong feeling that the master tape sounds just the same.   If you look at the CD in Audacity, it's actually slightly amusing because the waveform never comes close to -0dB. It's quieter than it needs to be, as if the mastering engineer was deliberately making a statement of...
Well they aren't hardcore OR punk, not being strongly riff-based, but if you listen to hardcore and/or punk maybe you can appreciate Hot Water Music albums mastered by Steve Heritage (A Flight and a Crash, Forever and Counting, Moonpies for Misfits, Fuel for the Hate Game and No Division). They play theme-based dueling-guitars under vocals you can only get away with in hardcore punk. The end result are fairly strong albums with texture and carrying-power. I grew out of a...