Posts by mawoca

I figured this would be a good thread to drag back into existence but hijack into 12AU7 territory. My Starving Student is currently using a pair of 50s vintage RCA long black plate 12AU7s that I got for dirt cheap on eBay. I really like the way the amp sounds but I feel like it can do better. The mid range isn't very forward which is surprising considering I'm using Grado SR60's. I've seen a number of threads regarding 12AU7 preferences but all that I've read it seems...
Last Thursday at about 10pm CST, another 12AU7 variant Millett Starving Student was born! I'm thrilled to say that the first power-on went flawlessly, all systems go right out of the gate with nothing to troubleshoot! Dead quiet too, omg. After a weekend of off and on burn in, this thing absolutely sings! I love it! Mates up well with my grubDAC and my slightly modded Grado SR60i's. I did somewhat of a perfboard design to keep the guts from turning into too big of a mess...
Mine just arrived in the mail today. Needless to say I'm very excited to place an order at Mouser and hunt for some cheap tubes on eBay Thanks again, Howard!
Another GrubDAC is alive and well in this world! Aside from a couple of issues that were resolved very quickly by reading through this thread, the build went fast and was a ton of fun! And of course the sound is the ultimate reward, as this blows my little ELE EL-D01 away. Right now I have it paired up with a buffered-ground CMoy (with an OPA2107 in it) and my trusty SR60i's. I had no idea you could get sound like this out of the SR60s, lol. So good! My thanks to...
Yeah, it is. My first cmoy with a NJM4556 is just fine at a gain of 2.
That is absolutely gorgeous! Nice job!/jealous
That is a great thread Fred was nice enough to answer some questions I had and I placed an order at Mouser with a fair amount of confidence so now I just need to grab some protoboard from Radio Shack and wait impatiently for a few days.
Here's a link to Fred's assembly instructions for his DIY RA-1 cmoy kit (I hope he doesn't mind). I think it makes enough sense to me that I can build my own off of that. And here's a link to the kit itself. I would just order the kit with the PCB but I want to make my own layout and learn. It looks like he uses a single TLE2426.
So then I'm basically looking at making a cmoy identical to Fred's RA-1 cmoy. That helps a lot! Thanks!
I'm about to order parts for my first DIY CMoy and I have a few questions before I pull the trigger on my Mouser BOM. I'm going mainly off of the Tangent tutorial along with all of the suggested parts upgrades I've found by searching through the forums and looking the JDS CMoyBB parts list. I'm still left with a few questions though… Since I am a Grado fan, I want to build my CMoy so it's tailored more or less to properly pushing them. I'm using a ~4.7k ohm resistor...