or Connect

Posts by Michael G.

How does it sound?
The brand new Momentum 2.0 sealed-back, folding headphones surpass the the original Momentum in the areas of fit, comfort, and sound quality. Universally well-reviewed and a true bargain, especially at this price. Having recently bought several pairs of these for use in my local record listening library I have decided to sell these two, and at a substantial discount.   Both pairs are black color. One pair has in-line volume control for use with Apple portable devices,...
Price lowered: $500 plus shipping.   Up for sale is my versatile and beautiful Creek 5350 SE w/phono upgrade, in excellent overall condition. 85 w X 2, smooth organic sound and great bass articulation, seems more powerful than it's power rating would suggest. Made in UK, less than ten years old, used lightly. I'm conservatively rating this "7/10" for minor signs of usage but it probably deserves an "8/10". Creek remote and a Creek box included.   Trust my 100%...
An audiophile classic for both looks and performance. Rega's nicest CDP ever, in the opinion of some. $288 shipped.   The original Rega Planet top-loading CD player is prized for it's "analog-like" sound, good looks, and bomb-proof construction. This unit was purchased NOS about ten years ago and has been lightly used since, so you can expect many more years of faithful service from this player. In very good cosmetic condition too, the few light nicks on the top side...
Every headphone I've heard (or read about) so far is "rather flawed" in some way or the other. It's a common complaint levelled at almost every high-end "Flagship" headphone ever heard. Or read about. Not to mention all the failures floating and bobbing around in the flood of lower level headphones... All the Beyers I've heard so far sounded both good and flawed, at the same time. There, I've said it. As with every other headphone that I'm aware of, they do certain things...
To my ears, different headphones serve certain types of music better than others. There is no *perfect* headphone. There are only *different* headphones, for different types of music...    Having owned Grado SR60, SR325, and finally RS1i, I can say with some certainty that Grado headphones do things that other headphones cannot do. The Grado principles of keeping the drivers as close to the ear canal as possible while employing resonant chambers BEHIND the drivers are...
A few years back when I had both "semi-vintage RS-1" and RS-1i headphones in house, I carefully compared the two versions with a variety of my favorite recordings. My general impression was that the two versions sounded more alike than different, the Grado "house sound" carrying the day in both cases. Physically, the RS-1i uses a different species of mahogany wood than the previous versions, with *slightly* deeper (approx. 1/8" longer) wooden earcups. Also, the new and...
My RS1i headphones have been completely recabled with 20 feet of Cardas cable. The tech who dismantled and reassembled the wooden cups to replace the entire stock cable really did a wonderful and professional job, but it's not a job I would recommend for the inexperienced. The Cardas cable upgrade brings in some extra refinement and clarity to the sound, and the extra length really comes in handy.   It feels so luxurious having the extra long cable because I'm completely...
Because of the natural curvature of the top of the cranium, when you move the bowls forward you might also need to adjust the bowls upward a bit and move the headband backwards slightly so that it rests on the very topmost portion of your skull. You might also need to tighten your headband just a bit too, as the distance between the ears lessens slightly when the bowls move forward. It's a balancing act...
Agreed.   I would go so far to say that wearing Grados "bowl forward" cures many of the comfort issue people have with the stock bowl earpads due to texture, heat, and poor breathability. The new position might take a bit of getting used to if you have been wearing the bowls squarely over your ears for years, but a few hours later you'll be back in the saddle again.