Posts by Michael G.

You're welcome. And if you are interested in a great trade deal, check out my classified here and let me know...
Often, one can find brand new HD650s on ebay for less than $350, including shipping. Sometimes they come with warranty too.
I don't think that having "personal preferences" is wrong, but performances and/or recordings are what they are. Ignore the facts to your own (and the artists) detriment... You can choose to listen to recordings in a way that reveals the intentions of the artist and the recording team, or not. But the fact remains that, in some types of performances (and recordings) spatial cues are used in an artistic, expressive manner. Ignore or minimize the importance of production...
Usually, but not necessarily true. The times they are a changin'. The Smyth Realiser A8 (can be used in two-channel or multi-channel mode and with headphones of your own choosing) is said to do a pretty damn good job of mimicking a real array of loudspeakers. A pair of excellent soundstagers (like the HD-800s for example) mated with the Realiser would probably have some of us flailing our arms in disbelief! As I've said earlier in this thread, having listened to little...
Well (at least for me), "concrete facts" do factor into my "musical enjoyment". Part of the reason why I am able to enjoy the kinds of recordings that I like using headphones rather than speakers? My listening experience supplies me with knowledge of what that kind of music actually sounds like. Headphones don't always supply the needed information when I'm listening to conventional recordings but my knowledge of what live music and loudspeaker hifi sounds like enables me...
Sure, you can say that but... But then I'd ask the question:" Why bother to listen to decent recordings on a high-end headphones if it really is "all about the music"? Why not simply buy some cheap earbuds or a $20 tabletop radio, get some crappy recordings, and "enjoy the music"? Maybe this is what you actually do, but somehow I doubt it. Decent recordings and decent gear provide you with the capability to enjoy the music MORE THOROUGHLY than you would otherwise might do....
I acknowledge that you read and understand what I'm saying, regardless of how we might disagree on certain points. You are certainly free to disagree and you are certainly free to make a recording into whatever you'd like to be. You own the recording, it's yours to do with as you will. But the fact remains that there are *intentions* involved in the making of certain recordings. The fuss and the trouble that some recording engineers go to while setting up microphone arrays...
Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Audio reproduction (loudspeaker or headphone) is (or may be) about the "recreation of a sonic event", but it is also about "suspension of disbelief". How funny is this? We all know that we are not listening to the real thing but it does not matter as long as we are given sufficient mental fodder! Different people may need different types and levels of fodder in order to indulge themselves sufficiently, but let none of us fool...
Funny, but after a few years of listening to music via headphones almost exclusively, I have lost the sensation that the music is "all in my head". Back when I listened to both loudspeakers and headphones on a regular basis, headphone listening did seem to me to be a much more "compromised" thing. And it is true that headphone listening certainly involves "compromise", but I've learned that certain types of compromise can actually free the mind rather than constrict...
I hear ya' (no pun intended)! Not that there is anything wrong with making recordings that are suitable for playback on almost any kind of transducer, but the very least they could do would be to try to preserve some semblance of lifelike dynamics....