or Connect

Posts by Surge74

The Woo WES is an example of an amp that is unusable with unbalanced inputs. I used to own one, and there was way too much noise and a kind of hum when using the RCA inputs. Jack Woo sent me new tubes but it wasn't that. The design just doesn't work with single ended inputs, it's mislieading to even have them.Anyway, the BHSE sounds great with either input. What I have noticed is that there is zero noise with the balanced inputs (volume at max, no source playing), and...
Yes, my BHSE is noise free. It's actually the most noise free amp I've ever owned.I can turn the volume to the max and hear the faintest noise above 3 o'clock.Perhpas you have one or more bad tubes?
Just want to be clear that it was entirely my fault.  Just letting you know to be careful with the Stax jacks on your new BHSE.   I have now designed a 'strain relief' for the headphone cord, so that it will not put and undue force on the jack.
They are black jacks. I recall reading in this thread that Justin no longer uses Stax jacks, as they are not available? I didn't apply a lot of force- I got up from my couch (the amp is above and behind me), and as I did so, the Stax cord got pulled down, and this put downward pressure on the jack.
My BHSE arrived last week and I've had a few nights of listening.     It's hard to compare back to back, as I sold my previous electrostatic amp, a Woo WES, 1.5 years ago to prepare for the 'imminent' arrival of the BHSE.  I almost cannot believe it's actually here, in my media room, sitting on my custom-built shelf.   The quality is top top tier. I don't think you will find any better quality of components out there - from the way the switches feel to the look of the...
Wow, your computer consumes 750W! Bitcoin mining? 
 Yes, the big difference is the output - 750 VA (720 Watts) in the P3 and 1250 VA (1200 Watts) in the P5.  And the P5 features seem to be longer, i.e., I don't see the 10X lower distortion claim on the P3; but not sure if that's just an omission in the marketing material. For $1K, I would get the P5 for the output difference alone. The BHSE consumes a good 300W by itself.  
 Not a good idea.  UPSs restrict current, which will reduce the dynamic range. I have my BHSE connected to a PS Audio P5 A/C regenerator.  You can connect a backup battery to that, but I don't think it's necessary as the P5 will provide surge and voltage fluctuation is not an issue.
My 2c on your setup - reduce your cord lengths! 25' and running the signal through switches is damaging the purity of the signal. Think of all the trouble Justin went through to select the best components.You wouldn't watch a 4K movie from 25' away, even though it would still look great.
No need to burn in and adjust bias. Justin does that before shipping.