Posts by ultrabike

Yes, it depends on what the costumer is willing to pay for, which factors into cost. Sometimes as a product matures some cost reductions in the process may apply. Prior to burn in, a system could go through in-circuit test which requires the development of a test fixture. The cost of it depends on how complicated the design is and how much coverage is desired. Some system tests could also be incorporated to the in-circuit test for more $. Proper systems test which happen...
Burn-in in electronics is sometimes used to weed out products with "weak" components. It's got to do more with reliablity in such cases.   Changes due to burn-in may have different root causes, but should be relatively small in reasonable quality products. Would be kind of bad if it wasn't so IMO. Kind of a box of chocolates as a function of time issue.   On headphones, no matter how much time I spent with my now gone DT990, sound did not get less bright. Current...
 I have no idea what filtering approach Schiit is using. At all. Seems it's proprietary secret-sauce kind of stuff. Haven't even heard the product. Only read a few bits of information about it here and there. Pertinent to Mike's post, which you replied to, I found this: http://www.head-fi.org/t/701900/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up/900#post_10484437 18,000+ taps is a lot of taps and more than jitter I would be concerned about...
 Enjoy your Alpha Dogs mate. Sorry you couldn't get your Slants due to an e-mail misunderstanding.
Properly implemented ladder/colinear/sign-mag/your-fav-word DACs feed with a 44.1 kSPS signal need to interpolate to 352.8 kSPS which in the best case means that 7/8 samples into the DAC are simply guesses (and really there isn't much one can do about that). I don't even know if the original samples substitute the interpolation samples so maybe all samples into the DAC are actually guesses anyway in the old solutions (best guess is all is gone). If going from 48 kSPS to...
 LOL! Differences between DACs tend to be more subtle than differences between headphones. But they do exist IMO. For example, a sense of increased space might be due to different levels of crosstalk, differences on frequency response due to DAC architecture, handling of ultrasonic distortion and so forth. Now AFAIK the DA8 uses a Saber DAC which I think it's a 1-bit Delta Sigma + proly some special sauce to deal with silent passages. The Schiit uses an AKM deal which...
 Based on your condescending and "confused" rant you seem to have a problem with terminology. Here is a book that may help you get un-confused: http://tvr.vejas.lt/uploads/Literatura/High%20Performance%20Audio%20Power%20Amplifiers%201.pdf Refer to 1.10.4 for a description of dynamics (including microdynamics). There is also a definition for detail (or space) in 1.10.3 which is described in more depth in 1.10.5.
There is always that risk for the early adopter of ANY product. But at least SQ seems covered judging from what I've heard at THE Show.
 Yup. I was that other friend. It was at THE Show @ Newport. It was a pretty fantastic player indeed. Very revealing and unforgiving though. Great songs sounded fantastic out of it. Got to hear reasonable masters of  Allan Parson's "Eye in the Sky" and with Stevie Wonder "Superstition" and life was good. But there was this POS Billy Jean master that sounded awful. The player at the time had no case. Here is how it looked like.  
Going from vinyl to a CD may mean completely different mastering with all sorts of different processing involved. That can make a huge difference. A turntable may need some compensation as well.A tube amp vs an SS can also make a big difference as well.I understand what you r saying. However, I wouldn't say headphone matter least. Specially considering the equipment that you list in your profile.I can also say that I went to a few "hi fi" shows, and in some setups there...