Posts by ultrabike

Enjoy your Alpha Dogs mate. Sorry you couldn't get your Slants due to an e-mail misunderstanding.
Properly implemented ladder/colinear/sign-mag/your-fav-word DACs feed with a 44.1 kSPS signal need to interpolate to 352.8 kSPS which in the best case means that 7/8 samples into the DAC are simply guesses (and really there isn't much one can do about that). I don't even know if the original samples substitute the interpolation samples so maybe all samples into the DAC are actually guesses anyway in the old solutions (best guess is all is gone). If going from 48 kSPS to...
 LOL! Differences between DACs tend to be more subtle than differences between headphones. But they do exist IMO. For example, a sense of increased space might be due to different levels of crosstalk, differences on frequency response due to DAC architecture, handling of ultrasonic distortion and so forth. Now AFAIK the DA8 uses a Saber DAC which I think it's a 1-bit Delta Sigma + proly some special sauce to deal with silent passages. The Schiit uses an AKM deal which...
 Based on your condescending and "confused" rant you seem to have a problem with terminology. Here is a book that may help you get un-confused: http://tvr.vejas.lt/uploads/Literatura/High%20Performance%20Audio%20Power%20Amplifiers%201.pdf Refer to 1.10.4 for a description of dynamics (including microdynamics). There is also a definition for detail (or space) in 1.10.3 which is described in more depth in 1.10.5.
There is always that risk for the early adopter of ANY product. But at least SQ seems covered judging from what I've heard at THE Show.
 Yup. I was that other friend. It was at THE Show @ Newport. It was a pretty fantastic player indeed. Very revealing and unforgiving though. Great songs sounded fantastic out of it. Got to hear reasonable masters of  Allan Parson's "Eye in the Sky" and with Stevie Wonder "Superstition" and life was good. But there was this POS Billy Jean master that sounded awful. The player at the time had no case. Here is how it looked like.  
Going from vinyl to a CD may mean completely different mastering with all sorts of different processing involved. That can make a huge difference. A turntable may need some compensation as well.A tube amp vs an SS can also make a big difference as well.I understand what you r saying. However, I wouldn't say headphone matter least. Specially considering the equipment that you list in your profile.I can also say that I went to a few "hi fi" shows, and in some setups there...
Well, I like the Oppos, but I like the HD600s a lot more. Even if they were the same price, IMO the HD600s r more engaging n detailed. They r not the same price.
Dunno man, have used my HD600's directly out of my craptop's headphone out and they still sound like HD600's... Somewhat underpowered, loose, and unrefined... But not too bad.Now try using a pair of United Airlines free-cans out of your Pico, or for that matter any Dyna-low/mid/high, B22, O2, or whatever...The cans matter... A lot IMO. The Abyss deliver. Expensive n ugly? Perhaps. Depends on ones sense of fashion. Mod the headband then. They do sound good tho.
Two days sounds like a interesting idea. I think Can-Jam and T.H.E Show are like 3 days... More equipment to cover and perhaps in not such a hurry.