or Connect

Posts by ultrabike

LOL! Yup. Looking at it brings to my mind "brick", which is not a good thing.Crossfeed in the digital domain is not too bad IMO, but a good feature to have. You know the Sansa Clip+ Rockboxed does some of that. It works to some extent. But it lacks head tracking which I found to be very important after giving the Smith Realiser a shot.The FPGA is more flexible, but not necessarily higher performance. Depends on implementation details I guess.
To some extent it makes sense. To some other, not so much. That's a lot of interpolation filters and one obscure "noise shapper". Who knows. If it's a multi-bit 5th order delta sigma, I guess it's not much different from some consumer audio DACs ICs out there. The sampling rate is quite high though. Maybe that's what they are trying to market as their differentiator.Having a high sampling rate may result in lower quantization noise, in paper. Depends on the actual...
Something like that it seems. Would be interesting to know roughly what the quantization Noise Transfer Function (NTF) is (or the equivalent to whatevs his deal is) as that determines to some extent the level of out of band quantizaiton noise filtering needed. That's quite a large oversampling rate also. So is he interpolating the imput signal to the (maybe) delta sigma? If so, using what type of filter? WTA?Maybe that's why he needs a lot of taps. Because running the...
I'm not sure what "pulse array" means, and never heard of "enharmonic distortion" and "noise floor modulation". Maybe he means quantization noise modulation? and I guess enharmonic means some sort of pitch error? Who knows. Also, in almost all cases, as signal gets smaller, non-linear distortion gets smaller. This is the case with most equipment, not just Chord stuff. If what Rob means is noise floor due to perhaps quantization, that is more a function of signal statistics...
I don't think we are disagreeing at this point.Some folks here seem to understand the trade-offs about what they have, and appreciate the strengths of their equipment... until they move on to something else if so they choose, or not.
There is no fuss. It is what it is. The AP and the 1266 are not as low in distortion in some areas as some other cans. The 1266 is a sort of unique can. It's got very interesting bass response and I actually like it. Don't like it's price nor it's looks but some may disagree and I'm kool with that. In a nutshell I can understand why some folks like the Abyss quite a bit. As far as amp, tube amps tend to have lower distortion figures that headphones, and interact with cans...
It's probably a combination of many things. But a suspect the driver by itself may exhibit part to part variations due to Fostex operations.Yup. A good AD is probably more forgiving than some other cans while still mantaining an agreeable tone. It may not be very resolving with certain types of music. It's always a diz for dat thing IMO.There are other options that may suit your preferences. Among the Fostex based mods one of my favorites is the Paradox. It's a little...
Like TMRaven said. Driver technology and price does not guaratee performance.Also there are many ways to improve a planar (or any) driver's low frequency performance. Not just knurling or pleating. You need to increase compliance in the benefit for lows and at the expense of highs. There usually is a sweet spot and the results are the combination of many factors.Also, knurling improves distortion according to Dan's website. So it doesn't work, cuz distortion is not the...
Disagree there Paco. Fostex drivers in particular have a lot of issues from lower midrange to treble (and bass if not properly dealt with by the enclosure). Distortion, channel imbalance, FR variance... Like I said before, Dan has to proly do a lot of custom work to make those cans work. If anything, some of the latest HFM and Audezee drivers may do better (vs previous iterations of planar drivers and Fostex), but had to contend with a lot of issues during their...
Yes. Youtube has it's limitations depending on many factors. The quality of the music recording is a big factor. That said, many times bad recordings can become more revealing than good ones. Something that sounds edgy will sound bareable through some cans, and completely unbareable in some others. I'm not as familiar with the DT880s as I am with the HD600s and HD650s. I'm more familiar with the DT990s (and prefer to forget them). I've heard the DT880s though and thought...