Posts by fraseyboy

My soldering skills are pretty bad so there was a decent amount of heat applied. I also used hot glue. However both capsules seem to have the same treble problems. I guess it's possible I melted the diaphragm in both but isn't it a bit too coincidental that I broke them both in the same way? I guess it's a possibility anyway.
Picked up a few WM-61a capsules for use in a stealthy binaural recording rig for gigs and such. I've performed the 2-wire Linkwitz mod on a pair of them and attempted to implement the circuit design found here http://www.linkwitzlab.com/images/graphics/microph2.gif. As expected the output level is greatly reduced, but the recordings also sound a lot less sparkly and airy. Spectrum analysis of the modded pair (top) compared to an unmodded pair (bottom) confirms that treble...
Woah sick necropost bro   Edit: I was literally 14 when I made this thread.
Ah yes, a socket is another thing I'll buy.  A stereo pre-amp for electret capsules isn't really something which is available ready made as far as I know. I'm planning on using this with a simple binaural headset I made from an old pair of headphones and two elecret capsules. It already makes pretty good recordings (especially considering the mics were like $2) but it does distort at high SPLs and it's pretty noisy.  The underside of the board is indeed a horrifying mess....
I thought I could skip straight to a protoboard so I didn't buy a breadboard. Obviously I was being a bit cocky. I've checked the connections many times and everything seems to be okay. The polarity of all my caps is correct but looks like I put in 1uf caps instead of 2.2uf caps. I have no idea why... I'll buy some 2.2uf caps and a breadboard when I get round to going to the place. Would the incorrect caps cause the whole thing to not work though?   I left out the 2pf...
 Right. So I've wired the ground from the input socket, VCC- from the op-amp, the ground on the pot, and the negative wire from the battery to the ground lug on the output socket. So it should all be correctly grounded now. I also wired things to the legs on the pot, not the rivets. On the bright side the buzz is gone, but so has any sound from the mic. Where should I start with finding where the problem is? I've poked around with a multimeter and there seems to be voltage...
You're right, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing but I don't really see why I need to spend another $10 on a kit when I've got all the parts required to make this circuit. Building this could be just as much of a learning experience as building a kit. I just need the knowledge. Sorry I disregarded your advice. I get that throwing bits together with no knowledge of what's happening is probably not good practice but I don't really mind having to take things out and try...
I'm wanting to use a pre amp to achieve the goals stated on the design page: "A: Providing a higher electret bias voltage, 9V through a 10k resistor to give the mic's fet more headroom.  (The R91 provides 2.5V through a 6k8 resistor.)B: Having much greater preamp headroom, and bypassing the R91's mic preamp altogether, using a hi-fi or low noise op-amp to go straight into the line input." I have considered the much simpler circuits which just supply voltage but I figured...
  I have VCC+ connected to the positive supply, I'm just not sure what to do with VCC-. When I connect it to the negative supply the whole thing stops working, so I guess it's optional... I did buy backup components expecting failure. Really surprised I haven't broken anything actually. As I said it totally works fine as a mic pre-amp. I can make recordings and they sound pretty good. There's just heaps of background noise and I figured this was grounding. Maybe shielding? 
So this is pretty much my first experience with any sort of electrical DIY aside from making cables. I wanted to make a simple pre-amp for electret capsules. I used this design: http://www.minidisc.org/mic_preamp/Simple%20Stereo%20Electret%20Mic%20Preamp.htm    It picks up sound from the mic but there's a fairly loud humming in the background. Here's a photo:     I expect it's grounding issues butI really have no idea what I'm doing. The blue wire coming off the...