Posts by fraseyboy

Ah yes, a socket is another thing I'll buy.  A stereo pre-amp for electret capsules isn't really something which is available ready made as far as I know. I'm planning on using this with a simple binaural headset I made from an old pair of headphones and two elecret capsules. It already makes pretty good recordings (especially considering the mics were like $2) but it does distort at high SPLs and it's pretty noisy.  The underside of the board is indeed a horrifying mess....
I thought I could skip straight to a protoboard so I didn't buy a breadboard. Obviously I was being a bit cocky. I've checked the connections many times and everything seems to be okay. The polarity of all my caps is correct but looks like I put in 1uf caps instead of 2.2uf caps. I have no idea why... I'll buy some 2.2uf caps and a breadboard when I get round to going to the place. Would the incorrect caps cause the whole thing to not work though?   I left out the 2pf...
 Right. So I've wired the ground from the input socket, VCC- from the op-amp, the ground on the pot, and the negative wire from the battery to the ground lug on the output socket. So it should all be correctly grounded now. I also wired things to the legs on the pot, not the rivets. On the bright side the buzz is gone, but so has any sound from the mic. Where should I start with finding where the problem is? I've poked around with a multimeter and there seems to be voltage...
You're right, I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing but I don't really see why I need to spend another $10 on a kit when I've got all the parts required to make this circuit. Building this could be just as much of a learning experience as building a kit. I just need the knowledge. Sorry I disregarded your advice. I get that throwing bits together with no knowledge of what's happening is probably not good practice but I don't really mind having to take things out and try...
I'm wanting to use a pre amp to achieve the goals stated on the design page: "A: Providing a higher electret bias voltage, 9V through a 10k resistor to give the mic's fet more headroom.  (The R91 provides 2.5V through a 6k8 resistor.)B: Having much greater preamp headroom, and bypassing the R91's mic preamp altogether, using a hi-fi or low noise op-amp to go straight into the line input." I have considered the much simpler circuits which just supply voltage but I figured...
  I have VCC+ connected to the positive supply, I'm just not sure what to do with VCC-. When I connect it to the negative supply the whole thing stops working, so I guess it's optional... I did buy backup components expecting failure. Really surprised I haven't broken anything actually. As I said it totally works fine as a mic pre-amp. I can make recordings and they sound pretty good. There's just heaps of background noise and I figured this was grounding. Maybe shielding? 
So this is pretty much my first experience with any sort of electrical DIY aside from making cables. I wanted to make a simple pre-amp for electret capsules. I used this design: http://www.minidisc.org/mic_preamp/Simple%20Stereo%20Electret%20Mic%20Preamp.htm    It picks up sound from the mic but there's a fairly loud humming in the background. Here's a photo:     I expect it's grounding issues butI really have no idea what I'm doing. The blue wire coming off the...
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-9686-hifi-tuning-disc-demagnetizer.aspx "We are frequently asked how it's possible for an aluminum disc to magnetize. The important thing to remember is that just because a disc is nominally made from polycarbonate and aluminum, this does not mean these are the only ingredients. Inks used on the disc label and even the aluminum substrate itself may contain materials that can pick up and store a magnetic charge. This can happen as the disc is...
That motherboard has a Realtek ALC1150 HD for the audio which seems to be a pretty good chipset. On paper it has a high SNR and low THD, pretty much on par with a low/medium range dedicated soundcard like the Xonar DG. The headphone amp they talk about is the Texas Instruments NE5532 opamp. Not much information about it but it's probably on the level of something like a CMOY. Of course I haven't heard it so there's no way of knowing for sure, I'm just going on the...
Nice wee studio you had there. Oh god those synths are hot. Hopefully some day I'll be able to afford Moog equipment lol...   Imo you should keep a thing which allows for recording of 'real' instruments in case you get that urge. There's something about playing real tangible analog synths which you can't really get in software, not to mention guitar. It'd suck to make a track which just NEEDS guitar or something and not be able to record it.