Posts by jcx

but for most listeners with headphones it is more like a 1D position on a line inside your head between your ears - speakers in a room give can and usually do give a much better illusion since virtually all music is mastered for speaker playback - binaural recordings are rare
actually the desire for thin, flexy headphone cables gives even some manufacturer supplied headphone cable rather largish C by some expectations - up to 1000pF is seen   this can be enough to destabilize some op amps without some isolating series Z   even emitter followers can oscillate with Cload depending on circuit design - which may even be found in "no feedback" marketed amplifiers   the highest output R I have seen is a few kOhm in a CD player with muting...
another incorrect approach is to "fool around" with the abx tool and then say "oh look I have 5/5 so lets go for 10 so the result will be significant"   or "oops missed 2 out 5 already, lets stop this test short, start over"   its fine to train with the abx tool but a fair test has to be to the previously determined number trials for significance starting from zero - no cherry picking
there is no right vs wrong on "likes"   but education on why/how examples given to support the opinions aren't technically correct help everybody   I haven't tried Kicad in years but I didn't "get" its work flow then, still see from others comments evidence that it is unstable/immature   no official stable release is to me evidence of project immaturity - only a toy for other programmers - shows lack of commitment to actual users with real world expectations,...
the biggest objective quality step up would be to simply plug the 38 Ohm low sensitivity headphone into the DAC's TPA6120 500mA capable op amp driving the card's headphone out   a silent PC or steps taken to quiet the fan noise would be another likely objective improvement in listening to open back cans
bogus conceptualization   the sounds that are "left out" are only "not heard" when listening to the part that is kept - look up psychoacoustic masking     higher amplitude tones make it hard to hear lower level tones nearby in frequency   loud transients make it hard to hear softer transients nearby in time   psychoacoustic compression exploits these feature of our auditory system     psychoacoustic codecs are carefully tuned by blind listening tests of the...
why doesn't anyone make a big deal of the 2.6x factor of diamagnetic constants between Ag, Cu?   or compare with Pt which goes 10x the other way into paramagnetism?
analog and DAC analog output S/N is limited by, among other factors, the power used - at some point there is no other tech option but to run more current through bigger devices to get SOTA S/N - phones will always lag in ultimate S/N for digital audio because of power limitations   of course analog source snobs still claim phonograph and magnetic tape sound better than digital audio when even 16/44 wipes their clock with just about every tech spec, especially S/N
increased sample rate at the same bit depth does lower audio frequency noise by spreading some of the quantization noise over inaudible ultrasonic frequencies - noise shaped dither can take advantage of the extra bandwidth to push even more audio frequency noise beyond our hearing range   16/96 would be the much better direction in my opinion for hi rez instead of the stupid 24/44.1 Beatles offering     jitter's theoretical effects vs sample frequency depends on the...
um, could you explain exactly why you are posting at Sound Science why anyone would want to help given your attitude problem - for a easily researched topic treated quite thoroughly on the web, already linked by several contributors in this thread, repeatedly