Posts by jcx

so far the orthodynamics I've seen Z plots for look really flat - nearly pure resistors - which means they essentially shouldn't care about amplifier resistive output - its just a flat amplitude diver without frequency response effects
a later edition of Doug Self's Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook  (now 6th I believe) is a good companion to Cordell's book - but both really assume more than basic circuit knowledge and are aimed at teaching how to design audio amps, not necessarily cookbook building   a start is building a "Project" amp - something well documented, sometimes with available kits of pcb and parts   our own diy subforum http://www.head-fi.org/f/6/diy-do-it-yourself-discussions has a...
frequency response does seem to be the 1st order condition of matching "sound" - where EQ can work   but nonlinear behavior is also eventually audible - certainly the voice coil bottoming against the magnet structure - which can happen at bass frequency at "reasonable" SPL for some headphones
you're still playing vinyl - most audiophile snobs wouldn't credit less than 4 figure US$ setups as "quality", much less "perfect"   turntables, arms, cart, stands all would have to be full "quality"   digital rips could potentially save some on preamp costs if you rely on DSP RIAA - but only if you build your own preamp matched to the cart type, coil Z and can save on audiophile "perfect" capacitors   some serious archivists use multiple styli with different...
it may be harder to find the right analog design position today but bigger company experience early is valuable to a budding degreed EE - you should have resources and mentors - get to see the whole development and release process - stay long enough for a couple of projects - present your designs to review committees with century+ man years of domain specific engineering experience, shepherd your device though mega$ equipped compliance labs, talk with, learn from the test...
haven't taken a Economics course, don't understand the basics of Capitalism?   Headphone manufacturers aren't natural or legally protected Monopolies, or even Cartels - so competitive pricing is the expected default   but fashion and advertising does distort the "value" equation - giving less weight to technical accuracy   a odd part of fashion is that high price can reinforce the perception of exclusivity - even as a halo effect for the Brand - which is part of the...
can't read the html source - a common problem is being sure you're looking at the analog loopback though your cable between line in/out instead of looking at digital-digital path through the soundcard sw mixer
a DAC low pass filter is "in the signal path" but the corner frequency is high enough above our hearing limit that the cap quality shouldn't be directly audible   NP0/C0G ceramic are better than Mica, competitive with better film dielectrics on all properties even remotely suspected to affect audio and are available in smt   polypropylene is considered a top quality film - polyester/Mylar is often avoided in audio with pretensions - polypropylene doesn't withstand smt...
I think you have drawn a hard line that is not justified by the science - I do own Fastl, have read a fair amount on psychoacoustics - the data just isn't that complete   I quite agree that home listening to commercial recorded music hasn't been shown to require higher than 44.1k - it is likely fine for 99+% of adults that can afford to purchase audio systems where any question could arise   being in the Stereophile reader demographic myself I don't claim to hear...