Posts by jcx

music production is much more a craft - little calculation, lots of judgments based in experience, lore - and the results are not tested against absolute standards - just what "sounds good" or "will sell"   artistic choices are made choosing mics, their placement, in mixing/mastering - with the expectation that the EE designed equipment just works - or can be chosen for "flavor" where a analog tape or a tube preamp may not be transparent   some distortions, dynamic...
of course you would have cripple the cognoscenti's golden ears here with level matching, blinding protocol...
another DAC principles source - recommended by Linkwitz: Fundamentals of Arbitrary Waveform Generation, AWG Primer http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/M8190-91050.pdf   written for engineers using their AWG but the 2nd chapter, >60 pages might interest some here - collects some switching glitch system techniques highly relevant to R-2R in particular     from scanning down Linkwitz' Links page http://www.linkwitzlab.com/links.htm#Aczel
telling if someone's balanced amp gain spec is hiding 2x more V gain, +6 dB SPL is possible with acoustic SPL meter measurements   but finer matching to below 1 dB is hard   for amps the more accurate test is the voltage output when driving the headphone     Tyll did "publish" headphone SPL measurement and does use pro equipment - his repeatability article shows its not easy - the same headphones vary by more than the just noticeable amplitude vs frequency response...
I've seen a JAES article on a single ended curved ES full range panel that put a small electrode out front of the membrane as a sensor for diaphragm displacement feedback - gave documented harmonic reduction   don't think it was ever comerciallized
but it reads to me like you are deliberately stoking the "objectist/subjectist divide"
no one denies you can color or flavor your sound with electronics design and component choices - however it is hard to understand why this is the "superior" position to having accurate, transparent electronics which many of us with decades of EE experience and similar time hobby interest in audio think isn't that hard today   and Jason is (ab)using "objectivists" in a classic rhetorical style - anonymous, context free "they said" attributions   I am disappointed in...
because I don't in general try to justify my commentary by appeal to my personal listening experience?  I don't see why any should believe my personal anecdotes because of the expense or reputation of the equipment I own   although it is kind of hard to do any more than "witness" when it comes to just how different and good the Smyth SVS Realizer is - but I freely admit this only based on my hearing a demo with a personal calibration   almost all of my arguments are...
I did find a Hoffman forum thread - didn't see any there claiming Quadraphonic vinyl rivals/beats any modern digital multichannel format   sorry to hear about the poor quality of your digital recorder - you should really try a "prosumer" soundcard someday
I don't have any problem with that might be amusing to see - links?   anyone try 192k (or higher)  rips to preserve them - since the +30kHz does wear quickly with play