Posts by elnero

I downloaded both the Amarra 3 and A+ 2.0 trials to do a bit of comparing. To me Amarra has very nice separation, the imaging is set out front more so there's more of a sense of the music being in front of you than in your head. By contrast A+ 2.0 is more forward, vocalists are closer and bigger. Going between the two A+ 2.0 felt more in your head and more confined, Amarra seemed to place instruments in a nicer, more coherent fashion. On the flip side, with Amarra the...
I have no doubt that in some cases wood is used purely for aesthetic reasons but on the flip side, all the Audio Technica woodies I've heard have colorations that tend to do something very special with wood instruments. Is that in some way due to coloration of the wood enclosures? I don't know for sure but my gut says yes.
No, I didn't say they're choosing the wood for it's tonal qualities per se, I said that their use of wood rather than other, more rigid materials suggests the possibility that the designer is using the wood enclosure to color the sound. If this is true I'd also think that various woods are going have differing rigidity and resonant properties so that the choice of wood used would color the sound in different fashions. I'd also expect that the use of other, more rigid...
The point is, that flaw in your analogy goes directly against your argument and that seems to bother you.The fact that some headphone designers are using wood enclosures instead of something more rigid suggests to me that they are purposely trying to color the sound in much the same way an instrument maker would use different wood to get a different tone. So while I'll agree it's a stretch to compare wood headphone enclosures directly to an instrument I also think there...
Yes, MDF is an engineered wood product but it is much denser and more rigid than standard woods. And yes, comparing closed headphones to speaker enclosures is a sensible leap but in doing so you also have to take into account that the use of standard woods in headphone design is going to have similar results to using standard wood for a speaker enclosure.
 While it might seem sensible to to compare closed headphones to speaker enclosures there's a major difference, wood is generally not used in speaker design because it resonates and will color the sound, that's why most speaker enclosures use MDF or other materials that resonate far less than wood. Yes, headphone manufacturers use damping material to help tune the sound just like a speaker manufacturer, but the choice to use wood and not another less resonant material does...
For $50 I figured it might be worth a try but not when it's going to cost $68 for shipping to Canada!   UPS Standard is quite a bit cheaper at $33 but Standard is also the method that they charge their ridiculous "brokerage" fees so I'd expect that number to be at the very least doubled after it gets to the door, not to mention there would be taxes and very likely handling charges on top of all these shipping charges. That's just insane!
I'd suggest trying the Comply TS-500's. I've generally found the Ts series tips to have less impact on the treble in comparison to silicone.
When I switched to a Mac last year I tried various music players. I don't remember the specifics in sound quality but I remember I felt I like Amarra and Audirvana + were pretty much on par just differently flavored. My preference was for Amarra but and despite the clunky and glitchy UI I was almost bought it until I found out it didn't do gapless with FLAC. I'd be curious to try it again if this has since been rectified in the latest version?
I had gold IC's awhile back, I don't really remember specifics but what sticks in my head was that they always sounded really full, instruments sounded fully fleshed out if that makes sense.