Posts by dukeskd

They both reach pretty low to be honest but I feel my LCD-3 has the tighter bass with shorter decay. The TH900 has the dynamic driver quality "sub-bass rumble" reminscent of a woofer which can be quite enjoyable for electronic music, hip hop, rnb, and so on. In the current top flight cans, the Audeze and Fostex are kings for bass-heads.
TH900 is a lot different from the LCD-2 in the upper frequency range, it is brighter and detail extraction is an improvement. Mid are more seductive with the LCD-2s and sound stage is a lot more closed in. The only similarities are in the bass but the TH900 having more impact or "rumble" as they call it and the bass has a different texture. Both cans are great for bass-heads.
So what differences do you hear between the TH900 and XC? I assume (since I own LCD-X) the sound stage is wider on the TH900s.
How will this statement prevent the TH900 fans from chewing your head-off ?
SPL Phonitor + LCD-X is a great combination.
K701 and DT880 neutral? Plllllease
Wait wut? The K1000 drivers where designed specifically to output significant volume with the capability of being juiced up by a speaker amp (just take a look at the shape of the driver and the thickness of the membrane). The K812 on the other hand aren't and I predict the sound would be mediocre or you will blow your newly placed drivers because of the high volume necessary that the completely open K1000 design demands... Anyhow if you do get this accomplished, keep us in...
I see. Well if you do gain the confidence to do it yourself, the manual (which can be found online as a pdf) presents a nice visual diagram to replacing components in the K1K. You will also need a solder therefore this can be a risky situation as you could potentially ruin the mylar diaphragm if solder is placed too long. Not sure if anyone is around to do such a job, are you situated in EU or US?
Getting just one driver instead of a pair of matched drivers will lead to a few problems as each pair of drivers has different parameters that constitute their partnership..
Take a look at the Burson HA160, I think it is an awesome pairing.