Posts by TheGrumpyOldMan

Yeah, the "From $199" was for the D1, but I'd think for $50 more, it'd be worth to try & swing it anyway. Alas there's the shipping, and I forgot how you guys get hammered on import duty in most of Europe... one thing I'm not looking forward to if/when I move back :-/And unfortunately I already sold mine, or something could have been worked out... but like others wrote, I hope you'll find something that works out for you, and the DM100 is a good, solid DAC either way.
I had the Dacmagic 100, quite liked it (unlike their Dock), holding up pretty well to more expensive offerings. Their customer service was not so impressive, when I asked about USB2/async since it was advertised but not showing up as an option on my Mac, they seemed almost offended to have to point out the sorta-secret button combo to enable the off-by-default feature (as per SuperiorTramp's post above, and quite hidden in some paragraph in their online manual)   But I'd...
I've had my LCD-3 since January 2012 (thus obviously "classic"), no problem so far... *knocks on wood, hoping not to crack it*
So I was going to take a couple months of listening with various setups & settings before posting my opinion on these, but they arrived today and well... Keep in mind when looking at the image below that these were ordered as NEW through Amazon, from HifiMan, and as per DHL tracking, shipped directly from their factory, straight out of the box:     So it's covered in stains and fingerprints, scuffs and scratches... is this how they all are NEW? This is my first...
When using the Audio Midi Panel to set the bit rate/sample rate for, it will override any native file specs, i.e. up/down-sample & pad/truncate the bitdepth if necessary to output the stream at the chosen setting.   One of the main reason to use something like BitPerfect is to switch that setting on-the-fly on a per-file basis instead. However it, and any software like it, may occasionally not determine a file's bit rate/sample rate correctly, though it happens rarely,...
Just wanted to stop by and say that it's great to see you here. I didn't realize that the Cowboy Junkies recording is one of yours. It's also one of my absolute favourite live recordings (nevermind the slight volume shift ^_^), and I really appreciate your work and sharing it with the rest of us! I'll be sure to check out the other links you provided. Even though I realized the limitations of binaural after going through quite a few recordings and demos (i.e. little to no...
Hey, no problem. Once I got started, I was a bit on a roll ... I think the question in the topic of this thread is a good one, and there are probably others who'd be interested in more information about this. I know I'd have liked something more Sound Science-y when I got into it, and not just the more creative, personal descriptions that abound on Head-Fi. And of course, while I can see all the rational arguments against the use or need of tubes, I still luv 'em anyway,...
Oooh boy, that's quite the question to ask in this forum ^_^;   The rational answer, certainly prevailing here, would be that the amp should be neutral, so the music is as it should be, without coloration. And that a good tube amp should, and can be neutral like that. So what would be the point of swapping the tubes then. Or it is not neutral, in which case the changing of the tubes may change that coloration, but how would you know then which one is closest to the...
I also have my silver HA-1 hooked up to my iMac via USB, not a single dropout even with multi-hour listening sessions. Hope that the cable replacement was the fix you needed.   Otherwise keep in mind that especially with USB, you add a whole raft of potential issues, from your media player software (and its settings) to the Audio/MIDI settings panel to CPU usage spikes (which can affect USB since it's CPU dependent), on Windows also the audio driver setup etc.   So, in...
Hmmm, didn't realize either that I too have one of those purple unicorns... I'm now wondering how the distribution was for the other woods (besides the now-default Bubinga)   I'm also a bit surprised & saddened that they never made more of these easy-to-replace cups available to their customers, it doesn't seem to be *that* hard, Fischer Audio for example has made quite a business out of offering dozens of wood cup options for their FA003 series over the years...