or Connect

Posts by TheGrumpyOldMan

Different CD/DVD drives can have different power draws, and burning needs more than reading/ripping, so results may vary because of those factors.   Sony specifically mentions using a CD/DVD drive with external power supply because most likely their USB ports were not designed with this amount of power draw in mind. If you don't have such a drive, you can try using a powered USB hub (i.e. with its own power supply) as an intermediary between the USB-powered drive and the...
The AK100 has always been quirky in the respect, maybe another couple of things to check:   - Files can have 2 sets of tags at the same time, the older ID3v1 tag as a fallback and the newer ID3v2 ones, it may be that for your files only one got updated, or there may be a residual different set of tags in v1 vs. v2. One thing you can try is clear them out completely (& save), then re-tag them cleanly (incl. the artwork)   - Despite jpeg being a standard, there are...
It doesn't officially support it, don't recall my own tests results when I had one. It's one of its quirks (considering it supports 44.1 and 88.2) To be fair though, it's not that common  (I have in my fairly large collection only 3-4 tracks at that sampling rate and only because I downloaded them specifically to test compatibility)
Well, most obviously:   - the ifi nano supports DSD, the new hot thing, if you have or think of acquiring such files at some point, that's your choice. - the DacMagic 100 has more inputs, the ifi nano is USB only, so if you have a player or preference for optical or coaxial, that's your choice. You can get converters, but that results in a more clunky setup and maybe SQ deterioration due to more components in the chain...   --- As for SQ, or the merits of DSD or HD...
While I agree that there there's no direct correlation between price & performance of a NOS tube in a given setup (*), I would caution in regards to plugging in some untested tube, there's more to compatibility than just the pinout. As a reminder, Woo's official compatibility list is HERE, for any unlisted tube (and the 6BK7B isn't) I would at least check in with Woo first... unless you're knowledgeable enough and you have access to the full spec sheet. Even if at first it...
Not sure about your particular issue, but I used my AK100's optical out quite a bit in the past, and I had quite a time with it too. High quality glass miniTOS-TOS cables are hard to find and/or expensive, so I was looking for alternatives.   Alas there are several factors involved: - dust & dirt: it's optical, so if anything, even tiny, is on the tip or in the receptacle, it will cause issues - the socket & plug: I have a cable going into the optical-in of my dolby...
I'm surprised it took this long to show up here, thought about starting a thread. It's not that often that our audiophile interests end up in a more "mainstream" publication. The comments section can be a fun read, as always with such a subject   I was sure when I read the equipment list, the above would come up. But keep in mind that one reason they did so because the claims by some were that differences were "not subtle or slight" and "as plain as day.", so they...
Yeah, the "From $199" was for the D1, but I'd think for $50 more, it'd be worth to try & swing it anyway. Alas there's the shipping, and I forgot how you guys get hammered on import duty in most of Europe... one thing I'm not looking forward to if/when I move back :-/And unfortunately I already sold mine, or something could have been worked out... but like others wrote, I hope you'll find something that works out for you, and the DM100 is a good, solid DAC either way.
I had the Dacmagic 100, quite liked it (unlike their Dock), holding up pretty well to more expensive offerings. Their customer service was not so impressive, when I asked about USB2/async since it was advertised but not showing up as an option on my Mac, they seemed almost offended to have to point out the sorta-secret button combo to enable the off-by-default feature (as per SuperiorTramp's post above, and quite hidden in some paragraph in their online manual)   But I'd...
I've had my LCD-3 since January 2012 (thus obviously "classic"), no problem so far... *knocks on wood, hoping not to crack it*