Posts by TheGrumpyOldMan

Didn't hear any difference. Probably not the right guy to ask anyway, while I can hear some differences mostly on the analog end of things (like different tube sets on my WA22 ^_^) I have hardly ever been able to realistically discern differences between most of my digital gear from a certain cost level onward (and even then I still think it may have more to do with the analog section)   As far as SSDs go, to me it's a storage device: it's all good as long as it delivers...
I was going to write my own detailed impressions/review about the Z1ES quite a while ago but since I won't have time for it anytime soon (le sigh): I'm using a Solid State Drive in my Z1ES (not for the speed as much as the absence of mechanical movement and the eventual failure thereof, and I know the cost/benefit ratio is terrible ...)   Even the SSD doesn't help much at all, at least not within the player: the available network transfer methods (wired or wireless) do...
While I have the Z1-ES, I think they are very similar in this regard. It is the most blatant weak spot in these products: their transfer speed are slow verging on unbelievable (literally; when I read the first reviews mentioning the transfer times I thought they must be doing something wrong...) And as with everything computer or file transfer: the longer it takes, the more likely it is that things go wrong...   It's only a fraction of the listed specs, in the real world...
I too am interested in the X7, so here's my grain of salt:   - I also think mSATA would a be good idea, and since it's a specialized, high-end device the target audience would be able to handle it (and a pre-installed option would cater to those who wouldn't want to deal with "storage"). Maybe even one mSD slot could left be in to just quickly pop in some extra last-minute content... It would also be a way to clearly distinguish yourself from the increasing field of...
Well, you can start troubleshooting by taking Audirvana out of the equation: Make sure it's closed (I believe it may have exclusive device control), then open Audio MIDI Setup in Applications/Utilities/ (part of every OS X install). With the WA7 properly connected, the options should look like this:     If this does NOT show the above, something's wrong with the USB connectivity to your WA7. If it does, something's wrong with your Audirvana setup. I personally use...
So I had to really dig in a bit and look into this in more detail since I'm still learning too (beyond having experienced the differences when swapping rectifiers myself).   And: probably not... As it turns out, a full-wave rectifier (like the one discussed here) has two sections not for L/R, but for making use of the positive & negative cycle of alternating current. So it would not cause problems in the sense of having one section affecting only one...
Yup, though it's a special case in that these specific tubes combine the driver & power sections in one tube for each channel. But it's the rectifier (ex. 274B), turning the AC current into DC current at high voltage, that said tubes directly depend on. So if it is faulty, everything down the chain will be affected.
Welcome to the fickleness of tube amps...   There is a possibility it could be the rectifier tube since it determines the amount of power getting to the driver tubes, thus how strongly they can drive each channel. Not sure about the exact topology of the WA6SE, but the 274B can provide voltage to each side separately and if there is an issue with one of the cathode/anode pairs (even with a new tube like yours) that may cause this imbalance problem.   Another thing...
Looking at both graphs, seems indeed very similar. The thing that I wonder the most about is the closeness in bass response while Tyll's measurements showed a clear low-end drop-off starting as early as 60Hz (that would be certainly be audible on some recordings and unacceptable to me)   Going by that similarity in the Audeze graphs, seems to me that the -most noticeable- difference would be that the LCD3s become easier to drive (i.e. higher efficiency of the new driver)...
The issue you describe with names seems to me to be more tag-related rather than the player's firmware. I have only had 2 of ~1000 albums have issues of any kind, and those same albums have had issues on other players (but seem fine in iTunes) But then again I have spent quite a bit of time over the last couple of years curating my music & cleaning up tagging...   Tags can be trickier than one thinks because different editors & players don't necessarily look at the same...