Posts by bourbonhoova

Hi all... Just wanted to say thanks very much to SonusAudio, dweaver and zazex for your comments / advice in response to the question I posted on this thread last week. Especially thanks heaps zazex for taking a little time to expand a bit on what you think of a number of good options. To be honest, I'll probably have to wait 2 or 3 months before I can actually order something..(my appetite for researching headphones is kind-of disproportionate to my spare disposable...
Can anyone make a comparison between the HP50 and any of these 3 headphones, just in terms of sound quality...        Shure SRH940, Audio Technica ATH-ESW9 or the AKG K550? I'm trying to choose a closed-back model mainly for at-home listening, and I want to keep to a budget of $300AUS if possible. My at-home listening set-up currently is HE-500, Audio-GD SA-31SE, M2Tech Hiface and lap-top. On the whole, I'm quite content with this rig, it's just that I have a tendency to...
I have a pretty simple question for you head-fi black-belts... I would really appreciate it if you could suggest one or two websites that I can download WAV format music from. I've started using 'Bleep' but it only has quite a niche or limited range of music, so I still end up buying most of my music from iTunes. Now, I'm getting into this hobby of audiophile headphone enjoyment I feel much better about buying music in WAV than in 256kbps MP3. I very occasionally buy CDs...
Fearless1 - thanks a lot for your advice. Just one more question...in your signature you refer to the Lyr being ’magic’ with the HE-400/500, with the right tubes. How much would you say, I'd have to spend on a pair of tubes to make the HE-500 sound better on the Lyr than it does through the SA-31? (I mean more enjoyable to listen to in your opinion). I am a sucker for the Lyr’s good-looks. Zoom25 - I don't remember exactly how much the shipping cost for the emotiva was...
Hi, Just wondering whether someone who’s owned one of these amps could give me their opinion... I have the HE-500 and the M-stage and I’m looking at ordering either an Audio-GD SA-31SE or a Lyr to replace the Matrix. I had pretty much made my mind up to go for the SA-31 but then the better warranty offered by Schiit and the number of people who seem to be really happy with their Lyr makes me wonder. The main things that I am looking for are a significant improvement in...
to i019791   Thanks for reading my post. My source is just an ipod classic (120GB). I have thought about buying a more hi-fi mp3 player, but I like the itunes interface (rating your tunes and playlists, etc) and I just can't justify the cost of a higher end portable source. I am trying to buy most of my new music in WAV or CD ripped in lossless format, but roughly about half of my music collection is in typical itunes 256kbps.
Hi, Just wondering if anyone can give me any advice with regard to choosing between the Schiit Lyr and the Audio-GD SA-31 to pair with my HE-500. I am currently using an M-stage, and while I am enjoying my 500s out of that I'm pretty keen on getting myself some of this 'bigger sound' / better bass etc that apparently is to be gained by moving up to a 2W+ amp. I have done HEAPS of reading of the relevant threads but I just wondered whether someone might have a...
Late up-date. I decided to sell the DT 990s pretty quickly. They could be fun to listen to. I thought the base was great on them... for example: the grande-finale of Pulse, Pink Floyd - at the end of the track 'Run Like Hell' with the drums (ending with a big firework, I think) sounded really good - definitely had that sub-woofer power to the base. But my disappointment was that to have the volume up at a truly satisfying level - you know when you can feel immersed in...
Not really sure what to say about the last post... I'm sure the D2000 is an excellent choice if you handle it with care but I'm also pretty sure I will be satisfied with my DT 990s. Anyway... [Edit] also now considering the Bottlehead Crack with Speedball up-grade as a friend has offered to help me out with assembling it. Seems like this would be a very good way to go in terms of value for money.
Well I think I've spent enough time reading through the threads on this site for now... just wanted to up-date the sentence in my last post about which amp and DAC I'm going to go for. Most likely it will end up being the M-stage - partly because I can try it out before I buy it in a (bricks & mortar) shop, and partly because I only intend to buy the one amp in the foreseeable future and although there are some really compelling remarks about how well DT990s go together...