Posts by ktm

I'm looking at bringing my trusty ASL amp and alternate tubes as well as a classic Marantz  1150 integrated. Headphones will be Q701's, Grado ps500. I'll bring my hd-650's/Rs-1's in standby (boxed). BTW, if anybody is interested, the Lone star Audio fest is on Saturday May 3rd. You'll be able to roll around in audio all weekend long.
Yes, I still have them. I haven't tried to sell them very hard. The the sr-100's have found a new home.
I just picked up a set of q701's 10 days ago used locally for $100. I'm pretty happy with them. I pulled the bass port tape off, and did a little EQ in foobar. It's hooked up to a ASL mg head OTL. The lead tube is an rca 7025, which is about middle of the road for warmness.Much more lively than the hd-650's. Those have a habit of sounding muddy and bloated in the bass, lower mids. I just never could get them right. I find the bass to be about right. My PS500's have...
removed
Because a bunch of guys are going to spend the whole thread wining about audiophiles. That makes it sound science. I don't care who listens to what or with what. I buy what makes the music sound good. If someone goes over the top, whatever. Clothing, sports, cars, biking.all involve a lot of the same stuff. Some things matter and you pay $$$ for it. Sometimes they just buy something because they can. If you let it bother you, stay out of the high end forum. Most...
So why is this thread in high end rather than sound science?
 It's like food. Tastes change. You can go to a fine restaurant and not like a a well prepared meal, even though others might.And you might find you don't find much enjoyment in the mass marketed big chains serving salty tasteless slop.Audio is like that. At some point as you listen with more attention to detail. Suddenly the stuff you used to  tap your foot todoesn't sound all that great. And you go look for something with more to it. Not a jazz fan? Not a classical fan?...
If amp a was set up to impedance x and amp b set up to be flat at impedance y, why is it so hard to imagine the results with a particular headphone would be different? A transmission with a set of gear ratios takes advantage of an engine's power band. Tie it to a slightly different engine with a different power curve, and things don't work so well. Is the transmission a bad design? The engine? No, just not good together. Each was designed a certain way at a certain...
Or maybe the amps sound different. IS the obvious too obvious?
Yes, two amps could sound different. It has nothing to do with price.(within reason) IT has more to do with design. A good match of headphone with a particular design can make a big difference. Headphones have such a wide range of impedance that some match better. 32 ohm to 600 ohm, that's a pretty wide range to design for.