Posts by hyogen

looks like I'm sticking with Nikon a while longer.  Looking forward to checking out the new D750 and D810.  Also, probably going to add Sigma's new 24mm 1.4 lens when it comes out.  My favorite lens right now is the Nikon 28mm 1.8......I can't believe I sold it a few months ago thinking I didn't like it and it's distortion.  I have bought it back and now I have come to realize I was using it wrong.  Apparently, Sigma is coming out with a new 135mm lens also.  At one point...
I'm starting to get less inclined to jump ship to Canon now that the D810 is out.  I still feel like Canon requires less pp.  I've played around with the RAW files.  They simply seem to render skin tones better in most situations..   Here are a few from this past weekend that I'm happy with out of the D600.  I'll at very least wait to get a new replacement from Nikon to sell and switch cameras if it comes to that.                
36MP files...I'll have to think about the D810 if I stick with Nikon, but wow those are huge files.  For adequate processing/navigation speed in LR with my 24MP files, I need an i7 processor (laptop), 16gb memory, and SSD.  And I still need to render 1:1 previews in advance if I don't want any lag when zooming in.     Yes, the dynamic range on the D600 is simply amazing for landscape :D 
Just shared a bunch of pics in the Canon forum.  Just as I had made up my mind to switch to Canon due to skin tones, I feel like I've shot some of my best pictures yet.  What an absolute bargain the D600 is...                         
Sorry for the long post.  I'll make the decision on which side to be on soon :)  
 Thanks very much.  Can you not use the color checker in day light?  I usually shoot in the shade, but I have been pushing myself to shoot in daylight more often.  I also updated my Camera Raw version which a D800/D700 user told me made a world of difference.  I bought the $10 colorfidelity profile for the D600 which I think helps a little bit, but definitely choosing Camera Neutral in the calibration in LR helps make the RAW file more neutral.  Yes, I am very familiar...
Thanks.  I do have a whibal card, but have not really used it.  Is it useful even in mixed lighting situations?  I'm not sure if I should have gelled my flash when I was shooting in an indoor area that had large windows with some natural light coming in, incandescent lights, and I needed to use flash for the photobooth.  Also, I have been told that using AWB mode on the camera is fine, but in these mixed lighting situations will using a set Kelvin be easier to deal with...
Hey guys, long time no see!     I see the gang is all here still.  I'm a bit of a working professional now...hahaha.  Selling off my audio gear to get camera gear has paid off.  Going full frame was the best decision I ever made.  If you recall, I had a Rebel T1i, 8mm fisheye, 10-20mm, 30mm, 40mm, 50mm, and 100-300mm.  For the first 6 months of getting a full-frame body I had just two lenses.  Now I have two D600 bodies and 5 lenses:  28 f1.8, 35 f1.4, 50 f1.8, 85 f1.8,...
 I didn't see your comment till now!  I appreciate the feedback.  I actually darkened the shadows on this for the contrast, but I'll keep the scariness in mind!   
      Beware of the Poison Dart Ladybug.  This is my first real macro shot.  Used an 85mm lens with Raynox DCR-250 adapter.  Now I know why most macro is done with a tripod.. It took me a while to get a sharp shot -- I had to tippy toe because this little guy was in a lamp trying to get away from my 2 cats!  used F11, but I think I could have stopped down even more.