Posts by proton007

How do you know the original cable wasn't faulty? Oh, right, you tried a new one and its better.
 Read the comments on the same page where this article was posted. There's quite some information in the replies. The gist of the problem as I notice is that transistor based amps allow for designs that aren't just possible with tubes (Tubes inherently allow for a class A/AB amp design).Now, these 'other' transistor based designs may perform worse than tubes, but they're a lot cheaper and smaller and less power hungry, and if that's your design objective then it works for...
 If the amp is well designed, the transformer will have a 'snubber' that'll remove any EMI. Transformer EMI is an issue at very large currents (2A+) which is not going to happen with headphones.
Check my signature (below)
 Yeah, that one.
 Yep. The amount of settings in GTR2 is mind boggling, but somehow it all makes a difference (I mean, they're not there for show, because they're all factored in the simulation). Fun, but its time consuming. I've got some pretty good results by following the book I listed and some gradual tuning, but then I can imagine going through the same process for every track, which means a lot of time is needed.Also, a wheel and pedals are probably the best way to tune, without that...
 The point about desktop vs portable amps doesn't have a simple yes/no answer. A headphone is a power consuming device, and an amplifier is a power delivery device. The form factor is irrelevant *as long as the amp and headphone have good impedance matching and the amp has enough power*. What usually happens is that portable amps lack the voltage for high impedance headphones, but you can never say that for sure unless you know the amp specs. Read my thread, perhaps it...
That whole quote was what started the 'great model debate thread' in these sections.   I personally find that quote incomplete and it completely misses the point. This and the fact that Edward De Bono isn't much of anything. He has a ton of degrees, and has written a lot of books, so I'll probably call him a popular writer who is famous more due to publicity than by doing anything significant.   However, in terms of *engineering* and *science*, there's one quote I...
 Some observations and tips I've gathered and been advised on:-- It takes a few laps to get the grip going, atleast in GTR2 it takes around 2-3 laps to get the heat in (there's no pre-heating of tyres like in F1).-- Fuel plays a role, yes. The race starts with a full tank, and the car isn't as nimble as in qualifying.-- The setup plays a *huge* role.  A more grippy setup is good for short runs, in a long race the tyres will quickly lose their grip.-- *Consistency* is the...
 Well, this one above ^^ has a long grip section but its too narrow... the entire design is out of proportion as you say. I'd prefer something along these lines:  Its all made in one piece, and is using a Pelikan nib unit. That's the best part about custom pens. There's an endless choice of materials, overall design, and you can add your own modifications. In the end the pen would be unique to your needs. (The image is not mine).