or Connect

Posts by dsperber

If you had a 16-channel PRIR, measured in some room that had 16 real speakers, then the Realiser will reproduce the sound through 2-channel stereo headphones of that 16-speaker room when any multi-channel source audio program is fed to it, exactly as that same multi-channel source audio program would have sounded if played in the original room. If you play the 2.0 stereo mix in that 16-speaker room which you created the 16-channel PRIR for, the 2.0 source program would...
 The .1 (subwoofer) part of audio system output is due to the crossover in the amp/output stage, not because it is coming from the actual 2.0 stereo audio program.  Generally the subwoofer produces "better sounding low frequency bass" than do "full-range speakers" for the same frequency, hence the typical addition of a .1 subwoofer even in 2.1 computer speaker setups.  That's why sub-woofers exist. The Realiser has a similar built-in 80hz crossover by default, so that if...
Well, to be fair, my long anticipated purchase of #0001 A8 in April 2009 (I first learned of Smyth and SVS and the Realiser technology in a Widescreen Review article I saw back in 2004) because I do not have my own home theater room/system, i.e. no loudspeakers through which I listen to BluRay movies, HDTV, etc.  I arranged for a PRIR measurement in the AIX mixing room in LA in June 2009, and I have been listening to everything through that one PRIR ever since. Originally,...
Only the two "active" L/R speakers (out of the 5.1 setup) normally utilized for 2.0 content are simulated through the headphones, even if you are using a 5.1 PRIR (which measured a 5.1 loudspeaker listening environment). . It's exactly as if you played back 2.0 stereo audio through your 5.1 home theater room, with only the two front L/R speakers actually producing sound and the others silent because nothing's fed to them. Again, whatever you would have experienced if you...
You have to understand the purpose of the Realiser: (a) It is NOT intended or designed to "improve" sound.  It is not trying to "optimize" anything. (b) It is built to DUPLICATE THE SOUND (as your own brain and ears hear sound) OF ANY GIVEN REAL MULTIPLE LOUDSPEAKER LISTENING ENVIRONMENT, WHEN PLAYED THROUGH STEREO HEADPHONES.  You won't realize you're listening to any source program (2-channel stereo or multi-channel) through headphones, but instead you will think all of...
The A16 has TWO head-trackers (i.e. two of the device that attached on top of your headphones sitting on your head, as well as two of the receivers that sit on top of the display screen), designed to support two independent and simultaneous users. You will thus both have your own individual optimal experience, as if you each were right back in the same prime optimal single seat in the measured listening environment when each of you had your "ears calibrated" individually,...
Correct. The original A8 first released in 2009 (like my #0001 A8) had only 8-channel analog RCA inputs and didn't contain imbedded codecs.  So you had to do your own upstream decoding in your AVR which hopefully had 7.1 multi-channel pre-amp output which you then fed to the 7.1 analog inputs of the original A8. There is also a corresponding set of 8-channel analog outputs supporting "straight-through analog bypass mode" when the Realiser is powered off.  My original...
Listening to 2-channel music audio through the Realiser (i.e. through a PRIR created in a specific listening environment) is distinctly different from listening to the same audio through headphones in a normal standard way.  With normal headphones the sound is typically inside your head, or at least adjacent to your two ears.  With the Realiser the sound appears "in front of you", same as it would be if you had been listening to this music audio in the original listening...
Capturing a room (i.e. producing a PRIR for that listening environment for your specific ears) is indeed straightforward, although it's usually done by someone else controlling the Realiser while you sit perfectly still, then "turn left", "turn right", etc.  The most important and critical piece is that you want to be sure you have the microphones inserted properly in your ears, and that for purposes of PRIR measuring that the head-tracker is operational. Following this...
If you don't use the head-tracker, it will always seem that sound is coming from the speakers exactly as they were when you made your PRIR calibration, which presumably was right in the sweet spot of the listening environment.  No matter where you really are now in your home theater, the speakers will always "seemingly be" directly in front of you and arrayed around you, completely unchanging no matter what your actual head angle or seating position is.  There is no...