Posts by dsperber

The discussion about how to CREATE an HPEQ as measured for a specific person for a particular headphone/amp is saying simply that to go through the process you use the user-A connection on the Realiser.  Whether that person ends up being user A or B at PLAYBACK TIME (in a one or two user listening experience) since the Realiser supports playback mode for either one user or two users simultaneously, is up to whatever you do at playback time.  It's just during the...
I would speculate that there is no video processing capability in the A16, same as there was not in the A8.  It's an audio processor.  Video is simply passed-through from HDMI-input to HDMI-output.  This also allows Smyth to avoid dealing with compatibility issues between video components, AVR's, etc. so that if you have problems then it's up to you to deal with it. I had a compatibility problem with my HDMI-enabled A8 several years ago when I first bought it, trying to...
Up to you, but if you can re-purpose your DAC for 2-channel use why not feed the Realiser OPTICAL OUTPUT to your DAC, and then from the DAC to you headphone/amp setup (via XLR?). The Realiser has its own built-in DAC for RCA/3.5mm headphone output but doesn't have XLR outputs as your DAC likely does.  Using the Realiser's still-digital optical 2-channel output option lets you use your own presumably higher-quality DAC.
 Well, that's certainly embarrassing!  I stand corrected.  You are absolutely correct.  It does support 16-channel analog input and output, and says so in just so many words on the 1st page of the original Tech Spec Datasheet. Of course if you go down to the bottom to look at the picture of the rear of the unit, sure enough there are 16 pairs of 3.5mm jacks. My mistake.  Didn't intend to disseminate or spread incorrect information.  I just honestly didn't realize that was...
 There are no 3.5 stereo mini-jack connections involved in the analog pass-through construction.  The A8 has eight RCA inputs and eight RCA outputs, and the A16 has 16 sets of input/output pairs.  So yes, if you want to interject the A16 between your current Oppo preamp outputs and your amp inputs with its current eight high-end RCA cables, that will clearly require a second set of eight RCA cables with the associated cost. But again... even if you did invest in a second...
 The A8/A16 has been designed to be "in the loop", both analog and digital, similar to what we used to do in the old days with analog audio equipment's "tape loop" coming from the "TAPE OUT" of the preamp/receiver.  Back then you would find analog audio equipment intended to be involved in "tape recording" (or that analog signal path) would have both INPUT L/R and OUTPUT L/R, to accept input and then pass it on "processed" to the next device in the loop.  For example, my...
 The A8/A16 are intended to replicate the sound of real loudspeakers and room/electronics as they are heard by your brain and ears just the way things sounded when you actually sat there during the PRIR measurement process, except played back through stereo headphones where the digital SVS processing in the Realiser causes you to believe you're hearing that very same original room loudspeakers and total listening environment (good or bad).  That's what it's for, to...
Balanced outputs?  And why would that need to be in the A16? The Realiser feeds stereo headphone/amp as its output, potentially from its own perfectly acceptable built-in DAC/amp and then analog RCA/stereo-minijack to the headphone system.  I can attest from A8 experience that this is actually a pretty good quality implementation.  Best possible feed for the headphone/amp? No.  But still very very good sounding, because all components in the A8 are very good.  I expect the...
In passing, optional configurations to support each person's A/V setup can sometimes be problematic.  And then there's device compatibility to consider, especially when HDMI is concerned (although this is improving, but certainly still "delicate").   When I bought my HDMI Realiser A8 I had initially planned to send HDMI output from my Oppo 103 (set to decode audio to discrete multi-channel LPCM and deliver that out via HDMI), so as to feed the Realiser's HDMI input with...
Whatever you play through whatever PRIR you use, it will sound like it would have sounded like in the room represented by the PRIR measurement.So if you had played the 5.1 movie in a 7.1 room (thus with no audio being sent to the extra two rear speakers in the actual room situation, and the side speakers directly to the side of you instead of slightly behind you), you'd only have heard sound through 5.1 of the 7.1 speakers in that room and with the side sound somewhat...