or Connect

Posts by dsperber

Just had to comment on my first experience running in dual-user mode.  TERRIFIC!   I had an out of town friend visiting me for "birthday week", and had pre-arranged with Lorr and Mark at AIX for a Lorr-conducted 5.1 calibration for her at AIX so that we could then be able to enjoy watching/listening HDTV and BluRay movies together through one Realiser, with each of us having our own PRIR/HPEQ and headphone/amp setup.  I brought my older Stax Omega-1 and SRM-T1S amp with...
Not really OT, but I had to share this item from Gizmodo about a listening experience with Sennheiser's new $55K Orpheus electrostatic headphones.   "Sennheiser’s spared no expense on the headphones at all. It’s not a headphone, in fact, it’s a headphone with a huge integrated amplifier attached to it. The amp uses eight vacuum tubes, chosen for their superior impulse processing compared to a solid-state system. The trouble is that tubes are susceptible to airborne noise...
 What do you have set when you right-click on the speaker in System Tray, and select Playback Devices from the popup menu? Once you have selected the HDMI output of your graphics card as the playback device and set it to default, you need to push both (a) Properties and (b) Configure to enable multi-channel formats.  Now of course even if you send multi-channel output via HDMI, it's almost certainly going to be bitstream and still encoded, since this arrangement is...
You are trying to "use somebody else's prescription glasses".  You will not get satisfactory results until you "get glasses with your own prescription, specifically measured for your own eyes".  Do not have false hopes. Just wait and be patient until you have your own PRIR created next week.  Then you'll "see clearly".
 To be clear... the digital audio via HDMI from source (e.g. PC) to Realiser MUST BE LPCM, i.e. DECODED DISCRETE MULTI-CHANNEL from DD5.1 or DD7.1 or DTS or whatever. The Realiser does not have any decoding capability of its own, so if you just pass on the still-encoded multi-channel audio from the source program being played by the PC it will not work. Whatever you use on the PC to deliver multi-channel digital audio out via HDMI must also decode that digital audio to...
 You don't have to use the DAC/amp in the Realiser and the analog headphone outputs. You can instead use the alternative optical/digital output of the SVS processing to feed your own DAC. You don't produce a PRIR (i.e. measurement of sound in ANY environment as hear by your own ears) in a special reference speaker setup. And ideally, you don't use any pre-created PRIR (since there is no such thing as a "general purpose PRIR") nor do you use anybody else's PRIR for any...
As far as I'm concerned, I got my money's worth... no matter what it cost me.  Anybody else that's heard what the Realiser can do with their own custom made PRIR/HPEQ at a top multi-channel environment whose sound they like (e.g. AIX for me) and with high-end headphone playback equipment can't help but feel the same. I'm only glad it was finally brought to reality and made available for purchase by civilians like us.   For many many years, I used a vanilla Panasonic...
 First off... your suggestions for "audiophiles bringing gifts" gratuities are definitely terrific.  Myself, I go for a #11 with lettuce and tomato and thousand island dressing at Langer's (along with a bowl of chicken noodle soup).  And at Bay Cities I request a custom sandwich: Genoa salami and Parma prosciutto with provolone, "the works" but NO MUSTARD, mild peppers and some extra red wine vinegar though I don't fault those that request a Godmother. As far as how to...
Dr. Mark Waldrep (of AIX Studios) runs an online company named iTrax which sells the type of audio files you're probably looking for.   AIX itself also has a subsidiary named AIX Records, which sells disc versions of HD audio.   You can check these both out, to see if they satisfy your needs.
 I don't believe there's any affect on the sound field itself, or the audio illusion duplicating the listening environment that the PRIR captured.  It's still the same PRIR, and it's still the same headphone equipment (and corresponding HPEQ) that you're listening through. The only difference is that turning your head has zero effect on what you hear.  You could close your eyes, turn your head, and it sounds unchanged.  This isn't what happens in the "real world" if you...