or Connect

Posts by dsperber

Balanced outputs?  And why would that need to be in the A16? The Realiser feeds stereo headphone/amp as its output, potentially from its own perfectly acceptable built-in DAC/amp and then analog RCA/stereo-minijack to the headphone system.  I can attest from A8 experience that this is actually a pretty good quality implementation.  Best possible feed for the headphone/amp? No.  But still very very good sounding, because all components in the A8 are very good.  I expect the...
In passing, optional configurations to support each person's A/V setup can sometimes be problematic.  And then there's device compatibility to consider, especially when HDMI is concerned (although this is improving, but certainly still "delicate").   When I bought my HDMI Realiser A8 I had initially planned to send HDMI output from my Oppo 103 (set to decode audio to discrete multi-channel LPCM and deliver that out via HDMI), so as to feed the Realiser's HDMI input with...
Whatever you play through whatever PRIR you use, it will sound like it would have sounded like in the room represented by the PRIR measurement.So if you had played the 5.1 movie in a 7.1 room (thus with no audio being sent to the extra two rear speakers in the actual room situation, and the side speakers directly to the side of you instead of slightly behind you), you'd only have heard sound through 5.1 of the 7.1 speakers in that room and with the side sound somewhat...
If you had a 16-channel PRIR, measured in some room that had 16 real speakers, then the Realiser will reproduce the sound through 2-channel stereo headphones of that 16-speaker room when any multi-channel source audio program is fed to it, exactly as that same multi-channel source audio program would have sounded if played in the original room. If you play the 2.0 stereo mix in that 16-speaker room which you created the 16-channel PRIR for, the 2.0 source program would...
 The .1 (subwoofer) part of audio system output is due to the crossover in the amp/output stage, not because it is coming from the actual 2.0 stereo audio program.  Generally the subwoofer produces "better sounding low frequency bass" than do "full-range speakers" for the same frequency, hence the typical addition of a .1 subwoofer even in 2.1 computer speaker setups.  That's why sub-woofers exist. The Realiser has a similar built-in 80hz crossover by default, so that if...
Well, to be fair, my long anticipated purchase of #0001 A8 in April 2009 (I first learned of Smyth and SVS and the Realiser technology in a Widescreen Review article I saw back in 2004) because I do not have my own home theater room/system, i.e. no loudspeakers through which I listen to BluRay movies, HDTV, etc.  I arranged for a PRIR measurement in the AIX mixing room in LA in June 2009, and I have been listening to everything through that one PRIR ever since. Originally,...
Only the two "active" L/R speakers (out of the 5.1 setup) normally utilized for 2.0 content are simulated through the headphones, even if you are using a 5.1 PRIR (which measured a 5.1 loudspeaker listening environment). . It's exactly as if you played back 2.0 stereo audio through your 5.1 home theater room, with only the two front L/R speakers actually producing sound and the others silent because nothing's fed to them. Again, whatever you would have experienced if you...
You have to understand the purpose of the Realiser: (a) It is NOT intended or designed to "improve" sound.  It is not trying to "optimize" anything. (b) It is built to DUPLICATE THE SOUND (as your own brain and ears hear sound) OF ANY GIVEN REAL MULTIPLE LOUDSPEAKER LISTENING ENVIRONMENT, WHEN PLAYED THROUGH STEREO HEADPHONES.  You won't realize you're listening to any source program (2-channel stereo or multi-channel) through headphones, but instead you will think all of...
The A16 has TWO head-trackers (i.e. two of the device that attached on top of your headphones sitting on your head, as well as two of the receivers that sit on top of the display screen), designed to support two independent and simultaneous users. You will thus both have your own individual optimal experience, as if you each were right back in the same prime optimal single seat in the measured listening environment when each of you had your "ears calibrated" individually,...
Correct. The original A8 first released in 2009 (like my #0001 A8) had only 8-channel analog RCA inputs and didn't contain imbedded codecs.  So you had to do your own upstream decoding in your AVR which hopefully had 7.1 multi-channel pre-amp output which you then fed to the 7.1 analog inputs of the original A8. There is also a corresponding set of 8-channel analog outputs supporting "straight-through analog bypass mode" when the Realiser is powered off.  My original...