Posts by plakat

While I fully understand your point of view, to me those things have to fulfill a basic requirement besides good sound quality: I have to like them. Something that makes me guess why its glowing dark blue instead of light green a moment ago would likely fail this test ;-) While some other persons first reaction also contained the word 'ugly' I don't perceive the Abyss as such (and thats not only because I paid for it). Its look is distinctive, no question about that. Its...
I would consider the Hugo, but unfortunately I'm bit of a design nut... and the Hugo disqualifies unfortunately in more than one regard. I just don't get the light color thing (i.e. I don't *want* something like that near me), I don't like the volume pot (for lack of a better word), I don't like the cheap look of the exterior (I know its robust and everything, it just doesn't look good to me and the jacks are almost unusable with better connectors because they are...
After spending several hours scanning my music library yesterday evening (till late into the night) I have to say the Abyss does fine with everything I found.   Obviously there were many pure electronic or mainly electronic titles, ranging from Massive Attack and the like, over Deep House, 90s House and into Drum&Bass, but also Funk like Hot Pants Road Club (Austrian act, very energetic nevertheless), Pop (Paul Simon, Graceland -- still very nice, Madonna), Rock (if...
If you count in the craftmanship of the cups and have a knack for that kind of thing -- yes.Based purely on sound you're well into the territory of diminishing returns, i.e. the TH900 is far from 2x TH600, the latter being the sane choice.
 Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I saw that effect: covering the driver even partially stops the distortion. And yes, I listened to electronic music, not devoid of bass. I'm still amazed by its ability to project a wide and stable soundstage, keeping all the fine details even when confronted with heavy bass. Ad DACs: many of the differences are actually in their analog output stages I guess... So even if the same DAC chip is used two products may sound different.
 I know neither, sorry... Personally I don't care about high-res or DSD, so I guess I'd go with the UD-H01. But I guess you'll find owners of both round here.
Sounds like a good price... The adapters are rather simple (and Thomann.de has them on offer for reasonable prices as well), so I don't see any problem there. Using the adapters you will of course not gain anything by using the XLR inputs, but I don't think you'll run into problems at desktop cable lengths anyway.
No, thats correct: it sounds rather bad and I'm thinking wether the driver might get damaged. It only occurs when I completely take it off my head though: e.g. covering a part of the cups with my hands stops it.
I know that statement. And regarding the distortion mentioned: it goes away as soon as there is any kind of damping either on the front or the back of the driver, no need for a closed-back kind of seal (my wording may have been imperfect in that regard).
@Sazexa I think the TH600 might be a better match for electronic music and, according to a friend who is very much into rock and classics, also for your other genres. I've had two encounters with the TH500 and it had nothing on offer that would leave me thinking about getting one, especially since it misses out on deep reaching bass. A nince thing about the TH600 is that its rather easy to drive... and I don't see it as much overpriced (one can always debate whether a...