Posts by Bill-P

If you are looking for a portable amp for the DT880, I would say... hunt down the ALO Continental V2 at any cost. It has enough power to drive the 600 Ohm version to ear-splitting levels even in a loud meet environment, and the sound is just the exact compliment that the DT880 needs: more midrange, just right bass, and smoothed out, a bit more subdued high frequency with a huge soundstage.
 Actually, I agree with the other poster. Most dynamics sound better than orthos. Even where vocals are concerned. I have yet to hear any ortho beat any Audio Technica headphone at vocals. Even top-end electrostats like the SR-009 have a hard time beating the vocals of dynamics headphones. Where faster response is required, such as with rock and metal, orthos may be a good solution, but some dynamics can be tuned to be good with rock and metal. Then there's the matter of...
Listening to music is much like looking at a photo to me. The louder I go, the more I "zoom in" on the pixels of the photo. I think we all know a low resolution photo would look crappy when zoomed in... and that is very much like low resolution music would sound crappy at higher volumes. This is especially true if your music chain is so brutally clean and true to the original.   However, I have heard implementations of a dynamic driver that not only mask the flaws of a...
 There were way more. Look up the F5000 mod for the Audio Technica W5000. People were really into modding headphones, but then I think the commercialization of headphone mods by T50RP modders sort of put a damper on that.Who'd want to spend time looking into acoustically dampening their headphones for that extra mile when they can just purchase a headphone that's already modded?  I most likely won't have much time to document it until after April 15th. Plus I need other...
If you pay close attention, you'll see that the W1000X have small openings in the wood cup assembly near where the screw holes are. Those are bass ports, and they are the reason the W1000X has the bass that it does.   The W1000 also has something similar, but they aren't big enough for anything substantial to go through. And in fact, I suspect they were used merely to tune low mid and create that sweet midrange.   When I heard the W1000, I liked the absence of...
I think part of the reasons why planars are more well-documented is because of the T50RP.   But that doesn't mean other headphones can't be modded. People just don't dare to... or aren't willing to... perform these surgeries.
Haha, will share details about the W1000 one of these days... after I have convinced someone else to purchase one.   I am still baffled... because after extracting that bass out of the W1000, I can see that Audio Technica made a very deliberate effort in order to "stop" that bass in its track. Sure, it gave the headphone more clarity, but they could have used a different dampening material, and the bass will be controlled but yet clarity won't suffer.   Anyway, long...
How about a photo?     That's a steel mesh holding a combination of felt, microfiber and other kinds of fabrics cut into donuts and circles laid on top of the drivers. Reduction of treble wouldn't need that many things, but since I also wanted to tune for a fuller midrange, the extra stuffs were necessary in order to filter out other stuffs.   As for the details, I think I'll publish them once I've gotten some more critical ears to listen to this particular DT770.
Great. Now you just need a good balanced amp. Although I don't think balanced amping would do much to such a sensitive headphone.   Acoustic dampening and tuning would do far more to the sound IMO.   Meanwhile, I've just figured out how Audio Technica used to tune their old wood headphones without drilling holes in the wood cups like with the W1000X. It baffled me for a while because obviously the W5000 and W3000ANV don't have the same holes. Heck, the L3000 doesn't...
I have also seen someone take a LCD-2 (yeah, LCD-2...) on public transit.   It's doable provided you don't mind people staring at you like you just came out of a space shuttle.   Still, I think the LCD-XC is more a home phone than it is an on-the-go headphone. It's not the weight or the size of the headphone... but that the cable is prohibitively long.   In public, something low profile and good looking like an Audio Technica EarSuit headphone (ESW9, ESW11, etc...)...