Posts by Bill-P

Well, I do have an ATH-ES10 that will shake your jaw off. Awaiting Tyll's measurements on that one. I think he should have it today. But I do have an HE-560 as well, and I prefer ortho's bass now. Even boosted, it sounds cleaner.  
 Bass test (also bass control test):  If the headphone gives you nice ear massage instead of breaking apart after 60 seconds, then it's got good bass and bass control. Careful with your volume knob. You may just shake something loose in there. 
Anne Bisson...     If "eargasm" is a real thing, this is it for me!   I've heard it all from the HE-560... the low tight bass, the euphonic midrange, the smooth highs the soundstage.   None of that prepared me for this track. It's like I'm not even wearing headphones anymore. There is no DAC, no amp, nothing that's trying to "reproduce" a live performance. It sounds like this is the performance itself.   It's... quite an incredible feeling. It's not just a...
I'd also suggest that if you're bringing your own music, make sure it's the highest quality version you can get your paws on.   Or in other words, take the original CD, or make a copy, or at the least, extract to FLAC instead of compressing down to AAC or MP3.   On super revealing high end systems, like with the SR-009, artifacts as a result of compressions can actually show up pretty blatantly with certain recordings.   ...   Now, for the adventurous spirits, I'd...
Well, considering that those devices also have benefits for non-USB-powered DACs, I can only think of 2 reasons:   1) Cheap DACs are just... cheap. Not just the filter but even the receiver is cheap. 2) Laptops and computers suck at filtering their USB ports.   Or actually, here's a 3rd one: it's both of the above.   But the saddest thing is... some of said DACs are above $1000 in price.   Without such bells and whistles (USB filter, better transport, etc...),...
It's not just the early units, though.   DACs that are made to meet a price point (read: cheap) also don't have good filters. Take the ODAC, for instance, the O2 is exemplary in its measured performance (as long as it doesn't clip), but the ODAC would actually improve when you split the power from the USB cable and use external power instead.   But yeah, personal preference plays a role in it, too. There is no one-size-fits-all solution to that.   Still, it's not...
I know, right?  Anyway, for those who need an ear massage:  I'm not a bass head, but God... listening to this song on the HE-560 is unreal.
 There's CanJam coming up, so if it's not too much trouble, I think you should come! I know I'll be bringing my HE-560 setup, and I'll let others be judges. So far, though, I have had 2 negative comments (not enough treble) and more than 50 positive comments from different people... even from non-audiophiles and folks who don't care about music or sound reproduction at all.
Well, we don't live in a perfect world. Therefore, anything we create inherently has its own limitations. The fantasy is where one believes in the "illusion" that something was made to be "perfect", where as it's actually not.   So that applies to the DAC as well.   In any case, there is a difference between DACs. Whether you choose to believe in that or not, it's still there.   Granted, that sounds almost like I'm suggesting that there are DACs designed to sound a...
Check with BTG cable? http://btg-audio.com Their pricing is very reasonable IMO. If nothing else, the comfort is superb as well. My BTG midnight cable is so soft and light that I don't even feel that it's there most of the time.