Posts by Bill-P

The production Focus Pads sound grainy and shouty to my ears.   Some say that the Focus Pads A only change the sound slightly, but to my ears, it's a massive change. I am confident I can fairly accurately pick out which HE-560 has Focus Pads and which has Focus Pads A in a blind comparison test.   That and... I actually get a noticeably wider and deeper soundstage compared to the original production pads despite it sounding smoother in the treble range.   I'm trying...
 Sure thing! Since it looks like there'll be a fair number of Z7 owners, I'll take this chance to cash in!!! Haha, just kidding. But seriously, I'd think Sony should have included one in their package. Otherwise the cable seems useless for most owners who don't happen to have the PHA-3 handy.  Well, since I did miss out on the last meet due to an unfortunate incident, I'll definitely list a new mini meet soon. And the Z7 will definitely be at the meet, of course. Assuming...
 I might need your help with some beta-testing feedbacks in the future... when I complete my DIY amp, so I'll keep that consulting fee on tab. Honestly, though, I didn't understand what the 10-Ohm resistors were for... until I realized that certain vintage speakers can spike and push too much current through the circuit, causing bad things to happen. It's nice that they have those there so you know that at least there is some fail-safe built-in, and it's also providing...
 That's what the 10-Ohm resistors in the box are for. They are there to protect the headphone from any voltage or current spike coming from the speaker amp. That's quite a worthwhile box IMO, if it performs to specifications.
Let's see...   200W into 4 Ohms -> ~28V output, 7A 125W into 8 Ohms -> ~31V output, 4A   So quite a bit of power on tap.   Assuming that 31V is the max voltage output of the amp, I'd think that should be enough to push about 19W into the HE-560. Just about enough to blow it up.   So plugging the HE-560 directly into the speaker taps is a bad idea.   Using the Hifiman Adapter Box transforms the whole thing so that the HE-560 appears like a 75 Ohm load in parallel...
 Yeah, I'm not surprised. The HE-560 loves power. Or to be more precise, it loves more stable power, and also a lot of headroom so that there won't be any funny business going on. Give it enough power, and things would start improving.  Nice review! Echo my thoughts perfectly. Hence why I think the HE-560 will benefit from a powerful amp that has superb control over the whole range while rolling off the high-end slightly. But so very few amps can actually do so. Most of...
Yeah, bummer.   I guess I can spend those extra minutes to whip up a dual 3.5mm mono to single 4-pin XLR adapter so that I can plug the Z7 into my desktop amp. That wouldn't be a big deal.   The big deal now is the sound. I'm expecting great things from Sony.
So pretty much the "balanced cable" will be useless except with a PHA-3?   Well, I've gotta hear the Z7 first. If it sounds as good as it is, then I won't mind getting the PHA-3...   Now to wait until next week and see if PriceJapan can somehow honor the good good deal that they're currently setting the Z7 at.   Oh, and I'm seeing that the price is steadily climbing on PriceJapan. It's at $558 now without shipping.
 I honestly think you missed out on the HE-560 for not trying it with the Focus Pads A, and not having a smooth, dark-ish DAC with good bass impact to pair with the Yulong A28! "HE-500 with a massive soundstage" is basically how I'd describe the HE-560 in such a configuration. I can almost guess that the Z7 wouldn't sound so airy/spacious, but that it may edge out the HE-560 slightly with regards to bass. The HE-560 is a very very good headphone already.
 I think a lighter, airier HE-500 would be the HE-560 with Focus Pads A. But in any case, I couldn't pass up on the $580-ish that Price Japan was asking for, and took the plunge. Because if I wait until release date, it'd be $699 + tax + shipping for me, which translates to close to $800 after all is said and done. If they get shipped promptly, I'll have a comparison to HE-560 coming up. Grizzly, I think you'll want to know my impressions of the HE-560 w/ Focus Pads A and...