Posts by Bill-P

Talking about which... Stock HE-560 sounds "hardened" and "abrasive" to my ears. HE-560 with Focus Pads A (pre-production) is warmer and smoother, with a wider soundstage. In fact, in comparison against the Paradox Slant and LFF Enigma, HE-560 with pre-production pads actually sound more balanced, with a warmer bottom end, more visceral impact, and clearer, but also less sibilant vocals. It's not just the better tilt of tonality for me, but it's also technicality superior.
 Well... I agree. The HE-560 sounds slightly "off" to me in the upper midrange and lower treble region... but it's still bearable. If I could fix that with a mod, then it would be absolute perfection for me. I'm happy with the rest of the sound.  That dip around 1-2KHz somehow makes me feel like these will sound a bit... hollowed out, or "see-through" when it comes to vocals? (trying to avoid "transparent" because I don't think "transparency" is about recessed frequency...
So after looking at the graphs and such, I'm actually... very curious how the Z7 will play out. It sounds like it'll be the opposite spectrum of my long-time favorite, the ATH-ES10.   On that note, the bass distortion doesn't look it's that bad. I don't doubt that my HE-560 will be way ahead and also way cleaner, but there are times I feel a slower-paced and more relaxed kind of bass would keep me going for longer.   As I grow older, I have come to appreciate a more...
There are bright headphones that I am totally fine with, though.   For instance, I am okay with the W1000, and it's not as piercing as the W3000ANV to me.   I am also okay with the AD2000.   And beyond that, I can take the HE-560, HE-6, and SR-009.   And still the W3000ANV sounds "piercing" to me. I also experience this "piercing" sound with the W1000X.   It'll be interesting when I get to hear the W3000ANV again after owning the HE-560 for another while. I think...
 Well, it's not a power issue indeed. But that has been my point all along. The sound is the one that may be off. And the LCD-X is actually easier to drive than the HE-560. When I heard the prototype prior to the announcement, it would get pretty loud even with an iPhone. People seriously underestimate the HE-560 IMO. It's only behind the HE-6 in terms of power requirement from what I can see of Hifiman's current line-up. The HE-500 is definitely easier to drive.
Yes... E12 with AK100 and Fiio X5. It's still not a very good amp IMO. Or at least not when considering headphones like the LCD-XC and HE-560.
 Well, I think it's just his own politeness taking over. Not to imply that I know Jude personally to make that statement, but from my own point of view, if I was asked by a friend to give my opinions on his dearly beloved headphone, I wouldn't just go and tell him "they suck" even if... well, they do suck, right? And I certainly would not do so on camera and then publish the video for the world to see. Beyond that, some reviewers have expressed negativity with certain...
 Well, the best wood back and also portable headphone title goes to my uber-modded ATH-ES10 IMO. It doesn't even sound anything like the stock headphone. It sounds like a completely different headphone. One of these days, if you would like to give it a listen, I can lend it to you for a while. I'm sure the HE-560 and Z7 would hold me over during that period anyway. I've gotta warn you though... just today, one of the students I know in college gave it a go, and he was able...
 I have heard the stock HD800 out of the HDVD800, and also the LCD-2 and LCD-3 out of the same rig. Normally, I'd prefer the LCD-2, and to a certain extent, the LCD-3, but out of the HDVD800 specifically, I'd pick the HD800 over the other 2 any day. The LCD-3 was somewhat comparable, but the LCD-2 couldn't keep up at all. On the other hand, if it's out of a Schiit Lyr with a Schiit Bifrost, which I have also had the pleasure of listening to, the HD800 would be just okay...
I'd buy the SR-007A, get the Cavalli Liquid Lightning, grab the Berkeley Audio Design Alpha (BADA) and call it a day.