or Connect

Posts by Bill-P

Well, check the last page or so. I already posted a photo of my pads.
Well, what can I say? I can hear it, so... at least to me, it's audible. Placebo or not. I do use another headphone (my ES10) to compare to make sure I'm not just imaging it, too. It's funny how I was ready to write it off, but it turns out these differences are amplified to my ears.  
I thought it was placebo, so I performed it a few times to make sure. They do affect the upper midrange for me. I think it may be because I am extremely sensitive to brightness in the 6-9KHz region. Plus I do listen to music that exaggerates that region (closed-mic recordings), so that just makes it worse. Even the LCD-2 can sometimes be sibilant to me, so you know how sensitive my ears are. It's because I'm this sensitive to treble that most of the top-tier headphones...
If you open the vent in the back, you'll find the cables coming from the connector into the driver baffle.   Mine are long, and so they obstruct the driver pretty blatantly. I can pull them to the sides and fix them with tape, but then that makes the sound brighter by a good margin.   Seeing as planars are sensitive to dampening, that comes as no surprise to me.   I did bend the headband before, but when the headphone came from Grizzlybeast, it was not as tight as a...
So I was determined to find out why my pair sounded so different...   And after a whole afternoon of experimenting, I think I found the chief cause: fit.   If I bend the headband in so that the clamping force is stronger, then the Focus Pads will sound significantly warmer. And conversely, the Focus Pads A will sound brighter/more strident.   But if I bend the headband out so that there is less clamping force, then the Focus Pads A will sound significantly warmer....
Yeah, I know, right?   I purchased them from Head-direct shortly after getting the HE-560 from Grizzly. And they came like that.   Both sides are consistently like that, too, and not like one is thinner than the other.   The Focus Pads that were on the last HE-560 weren't significantly thicker, but they were thicker by a small margin. The Focus Pads on this new pair are just super thick. Like an Audeze ear pads, even.
It's more obvious in person in my opinions...   Or phone camera just sucks, but here you go, Focus Pads A v.s. Focus Pads thickness. I don't think the last Focus Pads were this thick.         In case you're wondering, the bottom part is about equal, and I tried to line the bottom seam up, so that should be how they look like once mounted.   The less angled feel of the Focus Pads create a more diffused sound, but it's definitely not as harsh as the Focus Pads...
While modding my ATH-ES10, I have noticed that by stiffening the enclosure and making the connection between the drivers to the ear cups more rigid (as in making the dampening more compressed/dense), lower frequencies would be more noticeable, as I'd guess energy transfer from the diaphragm to the enclosure would be more efficient. I think it's the same principle as having a good ear pads seal, because the good seal allows for better energy transfer. But a side effect is...
I'd think the metal/steel ring would be messing with the acoustic of the chamber slightly. If not then it would definitely affect ear pads seal.   Perhaps with your mod, since you are gluing the ear pads directly to the enclosure, the difference wouldn't be as noticeable, but maybe for a stock headphone, they would bring some interesting changes.
Yeah, the old Focus Pads sounded ever so slightly brighter and leaner than the Focus Pads A to me. It's subtle and noticeable, but not as much as this. The new sound is almost completely different.