Posts by Bill-P

If you need a sibilance stress test, try this:     Without proper treble and midrange control, the cymbals would blur everything.   And if you want something even more extreme, try this:     Pretty much one "sh" sound every second.
E12's boost is nowhere near 6dB. It's closer to 4dB, if even that.   And it doesn't seem to boost anything beyond 150Hz. Any boost that goes beyond 250Hz would unfortunately bleeds into lower midrange, and I don't think that's favorable, unless you have a superbly cold and sterile headphone.
  ODAC doesn't support SPDIF.     You won't need it with your ODAC. But I'll bring an adapter (and a DAC that supports it) along so you can see how it's like.
Just tried E12 with Pioneer SE-50.   What can I say? Another perfect synergy pairing! The magical midrange and low-end of E12 compliments the vintage headphone perfectly.   Being a vintage pair, these are actually pretty hard to drive. I had to engage the gain switch on E12 (yeah, imagine doing that to a 8 Ohm headphone). But once the gain switch is on... wow... that midrange, that bass, that soundstage. The gain was so insane that about 1/3 of the way on the...
  I don't think the M50 is representative of old AT sound at all.   If anything, the ES7 is the much better candidate. It's where the ESW9, ESW10, ES10, and ESW11 inherited their sound.   On that note, I'm interested in hearing these and comparing them to ES10 and ESW9. Sounds like they're like a more-bass-less-treble ES10, but at roughly 1/2 the price.
By the way, I just got my velour ear pads in today.   In case anyone is wondering, I'm talking about these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ear-Pads-FIT-ATH-Audio-Technica-ESW9-ES7-FC7-Headphones-/251222635742?pt=US_Replacement_Parts_Tools&hash=item3a7e0934de   They're very comfortable, though not as comfortable as the lambskin pads.   By the way, I ultimately took the leather pads earlier off as they were quite uncomfortable.   If I had to rate: leather <...
That may be right for cans under $100, but actually, I have heard a lot of cans over $150 that have more treble than M50.   DT770, 880, 990 are prime examples. Denon D2000, D5000, D7000 are also prime examples. V-Moda M80 and M100 are also prime examples.   On that note, are you saying M100 has more treble than WS99?
Sounds interesting. But does it really have less treble than M50?   If that's true, then it's like a much warmer ES10. ES10 has more treble than M50 to my ears.
  I'll bring along a number of portable sources (iPhone 5, Galaxy S3, PlayStation Vita) and desktop sources (Fiio D3 w/ Wolfson chip and MacBook Pro) so you can check the two amps out in all possible situations. I think you'll quite like the Fiio D3 + O2 pairing. It adds that extra warmth that O2 is missing... though it won't do much for bass.   For headphones, I'll be bringing along my trusty ES10 with leather earpads (will bring original earpads as well if I have the...
  If you can make a Fiio E13 or anything that's O2 sized but with much higher audio quality and power output than E12, then I'd buy it even if it can barely reach 10 hours of battery life.   I think O2 has made a strong case that there are people willing to sacrifice ergonomics and portability for better audio quality.   That and I think a strictly USB DAC to compliment E12 would be something I'm willing to pay top dollar for. I've been a huge fan of your company's D3 for...