Posts by Bill-P

It's still a good reason to buy one that has more power than needed, because the correct way to EQ is to reduce the volume of frequencies you don't want to boost, and thus you end up having to listen to your headphone "louder than necessary". Note: by this, I mean you have to increase volume, or everything that you EQ'ed down would sound tinny.   But EQ doesn't take away the characteristics of the headphone. You still need more power to increase volume. Since sound...
  But that's not just any particular amp.   That's a lot of low-end amps. And the Fiio E6 unfortunately falls into the same category. Need an example? Try the Digizoid ZO. Or better yet, try Fiio's E7, E11, E17, and the newly released E12. I have. They don't sound the same. Disregarding their bass boost switches, they still have undue colorations to the sound.   Seriously, not every amp has perfectly flat and accurate frequency response down to a fault. That's why the O2...
I think you're misunderstanding what I'm trying to say here.   I think it is completely possible to design two different circuits that are audibly the same. The O2 and some other amps before it prove that.   But I also think that it's possible that some amps are designed with a pseudo EQ in mind. In which case, different amps with different EQ tweaks will sound different.   This is especially true with bass-boosting amps.
  Because not all op amp circuits behave the same way?   http://tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html
I don't think it's just the amp. I was driving the Mad Dog through Dan's Schiit Lyr at the recent SF Bay Area meet, with the iPhone 5 as the source (using Apple Lightning to 30-pin connector adapter, which has a Wolfson DAC). The pairing was as far from neutral as I can remember.   I also had a lot of HD800 and LCD-2 around the area to compare. The Mad Dog was significantly warmer than all of them.   It was only when I heard the Mad Dog through the Meridian...
  I'm not a fan of Beyer highs or Grado highs, either.   I think you'd be glad you skipped some of the higher end Ultrasones. The Edition 8 I heard wasn't as good as I read around. The high-end was way too grainy, and it was also more sibilant than my ES10.   But that's to say, I still enjoy an open sound more than a slightly closed-in one. And I think the Mad Dog sounds a bit too closed in when it's not matched with proper amp/source.   Dang it, the W3000ANV and TH900...
Nope. They are very very very very (keep adding more "very") far from neutral to me.   Mad Dogs have a warm-ish sound signature that's spacious and fairly clean, with some slight midrange emphasis.   If I have to compare them to any headphone, they would be like the HD 650, only with an even warmer sound signature.
If C5 improves upon C421, then I suspect it'll actually sound very different from O2, because C421 is smoother and more spacious than O2 to me.
The Mad Dog does have very good quality bass, but I honestly don't think you can get basshead level of bass out of it.   It's more of a refined kind of bass, though still less than what the LCD-2 and other higher-end headphones are capable of.   The main focus here should be on how good its midrange is.
If you're asking about the BH relative to C421, I can tell you that the C421 is far superior in just about everything.