Posts by Bill-P

It's probably the narrow soundstage. But outside of that, I think it has good bass if nothing else.  Heft and weight be damned. But to be honest, that's why I have a HE-560 now and not an LCD-2. Aside from the HE-560 having more clarity, it's also a lot more comfortable. Now to be honest again... I heard the pre-production, prototype LCD-XC. And then I heard a production version again when I went overseas this past summer. Something was off indeed. The prototype sounded...
 My original purpose was to compare the HE-560 to the HE-6, and Tyll's data are just more consistent than purrin's, since purrin changed his setup right around the time he measured the HE-560. So comparing purrin's measurements of the HE-560 and HE-6 wouldn't be reliable. If anything, it would just highlight even more how the HE-6 is V-shaped and the HE-560 isn't. I only pulled purrin's measurements of my ES10 out for some perspective since nobody else measured them. Maybe...
 The veneer doesn't look half bad IMO. But yeah, I'd like a pre-production unit myself. Though I suspect the wood causes the sound to be "thinner" compared to plastic, so that would be a bit far away from my projection. My preference is a thick, full headphone that's open, clean, clear, with good soundstaging, and strong bass that extends down to 0, but without protruding into the midrange. I'd almost think that he would have grabbed an LCD-XC and called it a day. I don't...
Really? Looks very similar to me. There seems to be some small variations in the midrange, but the 2 graphs look almost identical. Well, at least now you know you can "upgrade" to the HE-560 and at least get greater comfort, and a touch more midrange. And a bit less distortion. The distortion graphs of the HE-560 look cleaner.
I think the HE-6 is a bit muffled where vocals are concerned. Female vocals sound a bit soft on high notes on the HE-6. Then again, it may just be because I'm too used to the way Audio Technica tunes their headphones toward a more colored upper midrange and lower midrange that cause a more euphonic sound to get out, and then I heard the same quality with the HE-560. But as a whole, I agree the HE-6 would sound more transparent than the HE-560, but it's also sharper, with...
 Doesn't it? I mean... it may be just me, but I have heard many headphones up until now, and none can actually sound as "linear" as the HE-560 does to my ears. Even the top-end SR-009 and Abyss don't necessarily sound that linear either, although they do have a pretty impressive presentation. Here's measurement on a past version of my ES10, courtesy of purrin. And notice how it doesn't have a significant bass hump. I was modeling the frequency response of the SR-009 back...
 Yeah, I saw that. Still, I'm a bit wary with regards to how it sounds now, so I'll wait this one out.
For PriceJapan.com customers:   We will ship MDR-Z7 on Oct 18 for customers who ordered on September. We will ship it on Oct 22 for customers placed order before Oct 05. It may need 3-4 weeks from order day to be shipped for customers after Oct 06.   So it looks like I'm canceling my order with them after all. 3-4 weeks is ridiculous.   In fact, I'm thinking the initial rush is just too much for these headphones, and perhaps the hype is contributing to it.   So it...
 Talking about which... Stock HE-560 sounds "hardened" and "abrasive" to my ears. HE-560 with Focus Pads A (pre-production) is warmer and smoother, with a wider soundstage. In fact, in comparison against the Paradox Slant and LFF Enigma, HE-560 with pre-production pads actually sound more balanced, with a warmer bottom end, more visceral impact, and clearer, but also less sibilant vocals. It's not just the better tilt of tonality for me, but it's also technicality superior.
 Well... I agree. The HE-560 sounds slightly "off" to me in the upper midrange and lower treble region... but it's still bearable. If I could fix that with a mod, then it would be absolute perfection for me. I'm happy with the rest of the sound.  That dip around 1-2KHz somehow makes me feel like these will sound a bit... hollowed out, or "see-through" when it comes to vocals? (trying to avoid "transparent" because I don't think "transparency" is about recessed frequency...