Posts by Bill-P

It is a no brainer because not only does it offer more comfort, it also offers sonic improvements in some areas. Plus the damage for obtaining a pair is less than 5% the cost of a new or used HE-560...
 If it's stock Schiit Lyr 2, then... you can still get better sound. So... I'd try different tubes myself.
 Wow... it looks like we should hold a big meet instead of a "mini" one. Seems like you have enough space to accommodate pretty much everyone! Thank you for the offer! I'll put it in the first post to indicate that we've got a possible place for the meet!  Grease and soft drink splatters on expensive headphones!!!??? Nah, I'm just kidding. I'll bring pizzas and some drinks. ----- Edit: okay, I have revised the first post to a more formal format. This one is definitely...
Okay, so... I got the Focus Pads A in now. Here are some more detailed impressions... and henceforth, I'll refer to them as the "pre-production" pads.   Note: please take these with a fistful of healthy salt, as my experience seems to contradict some of the things that have been said. But scroll to the bottom and just read the section in "red" for the tl;dr version.   A bit of background: I keep noticing this harshness with the HE-560 that I could not figure out...
 Sounds great! And yes, it will be helpful! I am in Santa Cruz, and my place is really far away from the bay, so I don't think a lot of people can make it. How many can you accommodate at your office?  Let's see if we can make it happen in the city. I would hope so.  It's totally cool to just drop by and audition gears. However, I think it would be nice if you can bring your own gears to the meet so people can listen to what you have been listening to, and at least you can...
 Yeah, but I'm just saying... Schiit's first generation products were nothing short of excellent. Then the Magni came out, and it was a so-so product. Good for the price but not particularly stellar. Then the Vali came out, which actually... sounded good. Then the second generation of their stuffs came, and I have heard nothing but bad criticisms about them. Now that I have heard the Lyr 2, I am starting to believe those criticisms myself. Maybe it's my taste, but... there...
 Just with the Engima. The 560 still sounded full-bodied... though since there was no detectable hint of a soundstage, the whole presentation was more compressed and congested than "full-bodied". Seriously, the 560 can give a very convincing out-of-head soundstage that still sounds full-bodied when driven with enough authority and clarity. I haven't heard the Lyr 2 with any other tubes, but the presentation with the stock tube was mighty disappointing. Perhaps we needed a...
 It's not just the brightness, though. I detected thinness (with the Enigma) as well as a severe lack of bass. Plugging the HE-560 and Enigma into either my DIY amp or the McIntosh MAC 4100 provides an obvious improvement to bass definition, body, and authority. Not only that but the soundstage also opened up significantly.  It's not quite above my ES10 yet. The ES10 is still cleaner and less fatiguing overall to listen to although the HE-560 has a more effortless...
 Stock tubes. The Lyr 2 wasn't my amp, so I wasn't at the liberty to mess with it.  I would say... stock form of the Lyr 2 would be a bad match. I haven't heard how other tubes would sound like, but the stock Lyr 2 tubes sounded closed-in, a bit congested, and with excess bright treble to my ears.  I think the Lyr 2 being at stock contributed to my experience. Plus it was fed through the Anedio D2, which happens to be a very bright DAC. Bright amp + bright DAC + bright-ish...
On that note... I have had some good time with my HE-560, so I would like to share some impressions...   1) They are highly dependent on amping and also dependent on the amount of current that the amp can push. Less current = bass distortion. And the distortion can get quite ugly. 2) On that note, I have heard them with silky smooth treble out of a solid state amp, and with harsh and hard treble out of a tube amp (Schiit Lyr 2 to the spotlight here), so it's not a...