Posts by Bill-P

And that's why I want measurements. If it can be expressed in numbers, then at least one would know what to expect. Or if it cannot, then... there's that, too. No conclusive difference with measurements would essentially mean... well, no significant difference.
 Yeah, subjectively, they are. I'd just like to have some numbers to show people that I'm not just going crazy.   I'm 100% sure that Fang and co. are 200% capable of making a headphone that blows my mind. The thing is... I think they had to cut back a little and introduced a more simplistic approach in terms of acoustical design for their products. That's because such an approach would be easier to reproduce reliably at a manufacturing facility, and furthermore, it would...
 I'm awaiting measurements to quantify the differences (if any) before I release detailed step-by-step instructions. I wouldn't want to waste people's time if it turns out there is no measurable difference after all.
 Yeah... I think we are both trying to do the same thing. I'm just a bit more extreme in my approach. Next step is to get some rolls of solid silver core cable in so that I can braid a replacement that has more conductors for the Z7. I think it's most likely the copper core of the SPC cable of the HE-560 holding that little extra back. Just for comparison's sake, here's the song I'm using to test "speed":  Stock Z7 sounds all jumbled up, but my version now is just ever so...
Oh, now you're just being ridiculous.    Honestly, though, I think I'm getting somewhere, but not sure how close/far I am from my goal yet. Will have to hear an R10 in person, and... admittedly, that has never happened.   Hoping I'll have the chance to do so at the next CanJam.
 Yeah, I hear ya. I'm using a $200 amp to drive the HD800 if I ever get it, so... you know I'm not exactly the rich kid type, either. Haha. I hope I'll have enough knowledge about amplifiers by the time I get the 009 (or if Stax comes out with an updated model?) to build an amplifier for myself.
Yeah, it's a shame. I honestly think this headphone could sound very very nice.   I'm starting to think Sony got previous R10 engineers to work on the drivers, and then they asked someone else to slap the drivers into some sort of enclosure and just call it a day.   That would explain so well the disjointed feeling I had when listening to the Z7.
 Will give it a try one of these days when I get the HD800 in. I have been meaning to get one ever since the last meet, when I found out that my amp and DAC setup finally allowed me to listen to a stock HD800 without fatigue. That was amazing. I designed the amp to play well with the HE-560, and somehow, it was able to play well with HD800 as well. I still admire the HD800 for its technical superiority over the HE-560, and... IMO, it's probably the closest I'll ever get to...
 Yep. And since we've brought this back here, I think I'll provide some data on why I think the Z7's drivers have "potential". Here's the FR of the R10 as measured by the guy who measured the Z7 graphs that I used for the ports: And here is the frequency response of the Sony Z7 as measured by the same guy... although likely using a different compensation curves -> peaks are more/less pronounced If you ask me, I'd say... I'm seeing the same peak at around 3KHz, and also the...
 Well, I did get the chance to try Out Of Your Head at a meet at some point. I didn't quite like the way it sounded, but then... it was probably due to the noisy environment. To me, it sounded a bit... artificial, and not necessarily "real" or "holographic". I have heard the HD800 on systems that cause it to be holographic (Rag/Ygg combo), and yet the rig that I heard Out Of Your Head out of at the time couldn't convey that. As for the HE-560, I guess my frame of reference...